The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Sharkiez @ Canes, 5 Dec

1 hour ago, 2ndsacker said:

When we play that tight gap game through the middle of the ice

You can tell how this team is playing on any given night simply by watching the neutral zone play for about five minutes. When they own it, they win. When they don't, it's gonna be a struggle at best, and at worst, a long night.

• Like 3

As much as I wanted someone to light up Thornton, and it appeared Martinook tried to get in there, this is professional sports. You don't retaliate on a play where you're going on a power play in a tie game. I would have liked to see someone take a run at him (legally) later on, just to send a little message, but that is "fan thinking", not "trying to win a championship" thinking. Retaliating there would have been awesome.....as a fan. As a pro, it's stupid and selfish. Teams with selfish players don't win. I'll take the W.      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

OK I'll go there. Yes, the Thornton punch was vicious. You could see in his face that he meant to harm. I should be dealt with. But Mrazek was coming at him with his goalie stick swinging like a scythe.

Would like to address this statement rem, not that it matters a bit, but when I read it, it brings to mind some type of wild asault, which I don't think you meant to portray, and certainly is not what I saw. In fact, it was a single swipe of the stick, then as Mrazek approached Thornton behind the goal, jawing at him, not swinging his stick, that's when Thornton lashed out with the likely unexpected jab at the throat. Possibly I didn't see the entire series, but that's what I recall. I'm sure the events were recorded and can be verified either way. 

33 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I did laugh during Rod’s post-game when he was asked about what Hextall would’ve done and he just said “green light”

Ron would’ve ****ed Thornton up!

That made me smile too. Since Raz isn't the kind a guy that would go all-out Bill Peters on someone for little to no reason, but I could imagine him goating an opponent to draw an additional penalty especially once he realized who it was. I must admit though that he did a pretty good job. 

12 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Someone has a great sense of humor...

7886.jpg

45 minutes ago

Rod Brind'Amour: "It's nice to just have a little fun. ... We have a pretty tight-knit group. It's great to see that they can make fun of each other. That's really what it's all about." Petr Mrazek laughed about it, but rest assured, "revenge is coming."

Time for  a T shirt.   They can use Mraz, Svetch and Holyfield.    Maybe we can get Holyfield back to teach some "avoidance" skills.

• Like 1

A group of men that can laugh at each other says something about them and their potential working together to be winners. In this instance, I think it says they all knew it was a dive or they probably wouldn't have considered poking fun at it. I'm betting Nookie concocted it.

• Like 2

First time I've seen the Thornton / Mrazk incident.   My take: Mrazk may well have "played" Thornton to get the penalty.  Not just going down easy, but he may have had it in mind as he skated up to him aggressively (but not swinging the stick after the initial slash, Rem). TBH, I expected Thornton's punch to be more severe based on descriptions.  It was a straight jab; I see Gardiner throwing a harder punch at Thornton than the initial one.  Still, throwing the first punch at an opponent who doesn't have his hands up deserves more than a 2 min penalty.  In retrospect I'd say this one deserved a 5 min major (but no supplemental discipline). 

I’m glad we got the win. I can’t stand looking at Thornton with that nasty beard. Probably a pretty good academy award performance for Petr but I still didn’t like the punch. 

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

First time I've seen the Thornton / Mrazk incident.   My take: Mrazk may well have "played" Thornton to get the penalty.  Not just going down easy, but he may have had it in mind as he skated up to him aggressively (but not swinging the stick after the initial slash, Rem). TBH, I expected Thornton's punch to be more severe based on descriptions.  It was a straight jab; I see Gardiner throwing a harder punch at Thornton than the initial one.  Still, throwing the first punch at an opponent who doesn't have his hands up deserves more than a 2 min penalty.  In retrospect I'd say this one deserved a 5 min major (but no supplemental discipline). 

Well he did take a big swing with the stick, but then he skated up to Thornton and seemed to present himself to be hit. But now that I see it on replay, that was an oscar worthy acting job and a dive Gregg Louganis would be proud of. Yes, Thornton threw a straight jab, and yes it made the goalie mask move, but Petr was wearing a goalie mask. Given that, the effect was almost more of a push. Yet he goes down like dead weight and then lays there like he's been knocked out. 

I know why I was worried at home, because of the way he went down and then laid there. 

In the post game interview he was a bit coy about it saying "we got a penalty out of it". And that it just got him more into the game. 

13 hours ago, remkin said:

Yet he goes down like dead weight

It's a little-known fact but keepers are usually the best skaters on the team. Not the fastest or flashiest, but the best able to shift weight, maintain balance, etc.; they have to be, because they are carrying all that extra, unwieldy weight. Petr knew exactly what he was doing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's a little-known fact but keepers are usually the best skaters on the team. Not the fastest or flashiest, but the best able to shift weight, maintain balance, etc.; they have to be, because they are carrying all that extra, unwieldy weight. Petr knew exactly what he was doing.

I guess it worked! But I imagine he can't go back to that trick very often or he'll get traded to a soccer team.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess it worked! But I imagine he can't go back to that trick very often or he'll get traded to a soccer team.

I think there's a decent chance he could get a penalty call without going down like he was hit with a 44 Magnum, lol.  I'm all for baiting an opponent into a penalty, but the soccer "hit with an elephant gun" dives really shouldn't be allowed in hockey.

• Like 1

Oh, and when it comes to Thornton being victim to a dive, all I can say is Karma can be a bish, lol.   This dive was way worse than Mrazk's.

Hockey can be a dangerous sport

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Oh, and when it comes to Thornton being victim to a dive, all I can say is Karma can be a bish, lol.   This dive was way worse than Mrazk's.

Hockey can be a dangerous sport

Appropriate for Star Wars night tonight...

21 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

My final comment on this incident, then I'll hush. My understanding of goalies has always been that they were relatively respected with respect to physical confrontation, unless they came out of their space DURING PLAY? If so, then they are like any other player, still I've seen them even then being avoided by big hits? Further, I vividly recall how Scottie Walker was vehemently criticized years ago when he hit Aaron Ward, knocking him out when he was thought defenseless? In this particular incident, I don't give a darn if those defending Thornton say that Mrazek should not have confronted him like he did, because no matter what and despite whether Mraz embellished, that was a gutless punch against a virtually defenseless player.