The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Sharkiez @ Canes, 5 Dec

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Oh, and when it comes to Thornton being victim to a dive, all I can say is Karma can be a bish, lol.   This dive was way worse than Mrazk's.

Hockey can be a dangerous sport

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Thanks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

against a virtually defenseless player.

Well he did have all of his goalie armor designed to protect him against 100 MPH frozen pucks. 

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

My final comment on this incident, then I'll hush. My understanding of goalies has always been that they were relatively respected with respect to physical confrontation, unless they came out of their space DURING PLAY? If so, then they are like any other player, still I've seen them even then being avoided by big hits? Further, I vividly recall how Scottie Walker was vehemently criticized years ago when he hit Aaron Ward, knocking him out when he was thought defenseless? In this particular incident, I don't give a darn if those defending Thornton say that Mrazek should not have confronted him like he did, because no matter what and despite whether Mraz embellished, that was a gutless punch against a virtually defenseless player.

Don't know if I was part of your reference, but I hope it doesn't sound like I'm defending Thornton.  I've always been of the opinion that even with a gloved hand, a punch is a punch.  My main points were that a) once I actually saw the punch it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it based on others descriptions up to that point.  And, b) it wouldn't surprise me if Mrazk actually baited Thornton in order to get the penalty.  I hope that if Thornton had thrown a haymaker instead of a short jab, Mrazk's reflexes would have been quick enough for him to avoid the punch.   

3 hours ago, Kyrule said:

This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Thanks.

It really is super creative imo, glad you enjoyed it.  I wish I could take credit for making it, but I only copied it off the internet.  

Edited by LakeLivin

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Don't know if I was part of your reference, but I hope it doesn't sound like I'm defending Thornton.  I've always been of the opinion that even with a gloved hand, a punch is a punch.  My main points were that a) once I actually saw the punch it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it based on others descriptions up to that point.  And, b) it wouldn't surprise me if Mrazk actually baited Thornton in order to get the penalty.  I hope that if Thornton had thrown a haymaker instead of a short jab, Mrazk's reflexes would have been quick enough for him to avoid the punch.   

I didn't think that at all, Lake. Just trying to get confirmation of the unwritten "sanctity" of a goalie? If true, then no matter how "baited" or gloved or not, I understand that it was a violation of that unwritten understanding?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I didn't think that at all, Lake. Just trying to get confirmation of the unwritten "sanctity" of a goalie? If true, then no matter how "baited" or gloved or not, I understand that it was a violation of that unwritten understanding?

I dunno, I'll defer to those who've been around the game a lot longer than me.  

But one thing that did leap out at me from the replay is Gardiner's reaction.  He did throw a full fledged punch at Thornton's head in reaction to the play, which was nice to see.  I'm trying to think of who else on the Canes I'd expect that from, and the only name that jumps out at me is Edmundson (maybe Nookie or Nino?).  I'm sure Willy would have reacted similarly if he was out there, but he doesn't do much good from his couch.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, legend-1 said:

And THAT is why I posted back when it happened, that Aho got tripped and no call.

Someone replied they thought Aho just lost his footing, but clearly was tripped and Forslund made a comment about it.

Edited by CanesFan2003

20 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just trying to get confirmation of the unwritten "sanctity" of a goalie?

That sanctity is completely imaginary, and observed only by the team whose goalie is being pushed around (or punched, or hit, or slashed, or given a snow shower). The same team that takes umbrage when any of that happens to their keeper won't even think twice about doing the same thing to the other team's keeper on the very next shift. 

• Like 2