Canesfanforever

Should the Canes go after Taylor Hall ?

Last Call for Taylor Hall   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Canes try and get Taylor Hall

• Yes
    • No
    • Whats a taylor hall ?

Well the poll says should we try to get him. Sure. I'm sure we'll at least kick the tires. I've gone back and forth. I listen to Boomer Gordon on XM a bit. I like his willingness to challenge convention and just say what he thinks. He would vote an emphatic no on both halves of this question. Really Hall is available in two ways: 1. Pure Rental, 2. Trade and sign long term. Boomer hates rentals and claims that deadline pickups "never" work. Of course Canes fans remember a time where two pickups named Recci and Weight mattered a lot. Still, historically it is at best a mixed bag. Boomer also thinks that the third contract on a player is very risky, and thinks a team might get burned on the back half of such a deal. 

Boomer is a smart guy, but I distinctly remember him arguing last year with a guy from NHL.com that St Louis was a bad team and slow and built for yesterday's NHL and wouldn't make the playoffs. Ooops. Hey we all make mistakes and that's my point. 

Many on here have correctly corralled some of my enthusiasm for UFA's and rentals. As to recency bias, we are still paying for one of the biggest UFA busts in history, HWSNBN. Yes, technically it was the re-signing that went south, but we got him as a UFA and he remains the outlier in the last 10 years for high skilled players who ended up stinking with no injury involved. So, yeah, we're a bit touchy on UFAs. 

But that recent article I posted got me thinking. Hall is truly elite. And those guys are different. When they drop off in their mid 30s they are still very effective players. And for a few years you get game-changing talent. And what a boost to local interest in the team. Not only because of winning, but the fun of watching a star play and mix and matching his talent with Aho, TT, Svech, Necas....And with the D we have, why would this team, that went to the final 4 last year not be a cup contender with that kind of talent? Aho, TT, Svech, Necas, Hall, Haula, Nino (when he gets going), Dzingel, Foegele coming on...

I don't want to give up a first rounder for a rental. And I argue that a rented Hall not being re-signed could become a distraction. So no on renting. But possibly yes on signing long term in a trade and sign. A late round first or Taylor Hall for 8 years? Yes, try. 

• Like 1

See what they want.  But I would not get into a bidding war for his services.  And after this year, would not sign him for any longer than 5 years.

• Like 2

I don't get a great vibe outta a guy whose more upset with the fans booing then the crap performances that got the fans to the point of booing them out of the building.

• Like 1

We don't need Taylor Hall especially at what it would cost for a long term contract.    He will probably be in the 10 million plus category.     We have some pretty good depth in our system and I hope that some of these players step up to the plate.    These young guys at the NHL level  have so much upside that I can see a few of them becoming better than Taylor Hall.   Anyway.....I vote no. 

The feeling around the league is that NJ wants 4 pieces for Hall; which could include NHL players, contracted prospects, protect signing rights, and/or draft picks. Quite an ask for a 29 yo player in the final year of his contract. Some team will give him big $$ and term; the Av's are rumored to be the most interested.

• Like 1

NJD are being Skinnered; as Taylor Hall at least for now, refuses to sign an extension with any of the Devil's potential trade partners. He knows, that his best chance for major $$ and term will as a UFA on July 1, 2020; thus essentially robbing the Devils of any significant return. Maybe they'll get Clif Pu and a 2nd round pick!!!!!!

1 hour ago, AssistantGM said:

NJD are being Skinnered; as Taylor Hall at least for now, refuses to sign an extension with any of the Devil's potential trade partners. He knows, that his best chance for major $$ and term will as a UFA on July 1, 2020; thus essentially robbing the Devils of any significant return. Maybe they'll get Clif Pu and a 2nd round pick!!!!!!

As long as GMs/owners keep giving out stupid contracts, this kind of thing is going to happen.  Don't worry - there will be another lockout before you know so they can attempt to fix the messes they themselves keep making.

Hall is a coyote

for Bahl, schnarr, Merkley, 2020 1st and conditional 2021 pick.  The condition being if:

they re-sign Hall and win a playoff series then its a 1st

2nd if one of those two things happen

3rd if neither happens

Edited by gocanes0506