The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Christmas Trees @ Candy Canes

3 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

Did I just hear the words “good defense by Jake Gardiner”?

Yep and he was good this game. More to come.

Great game to be at, another sellout, crowd into it.  The Star Wars pregame video and theming throughout the night was well done.  As for the game, after the Wild first goal, the Canes took it from there, and when they scored on the 5 on 3 with that beauty, it just seemed like this game was going to be a win...except for the variables of the ice and the refs.  The ice was not good and the officiating seemed uneven, Canes had two interference penalties against but seemed to have worse done to them with no call,  Aho and line were great, the penalty kill good, Petr solid...and most of the boys really got into the Storm Surge.

:starwars::starwars::starwars:

It has been awhile since I’d seen a hat trick, did they always offer 25% off on hats after the game when a hat trick was scored?  Great marketing ploy, cause they sold a ton of hats after the game, the line to get into The Eye post game looked crazy long!

Edited by Red_Storm

Some random PNC thoughts after attending.

1. I miss the ability to get a beer and use the facilities between periods without massive lines and risking getting back for the start of the next period due to crowds.

2. People now come back to their seats up to 7 minutes into the next period in the lower bowl. Very distressing. 

I've been used to a lot less of those hassles, so if we could get back to about 5 people per section, that would make things a lot more convenient for me, thanks. 

3.  The storm surge, three stars and post game interview keep an incremental number of people in the arena while others leave, evening out the exodus, and letting people get out pretty quick. At least where I park.

4. The food could be a lot better in there. Pizza is from bad to nearly inedible (looking at your Buffalo Brothers). I'm not even talking price. I miss the MarketPlace. I mean soup. Not sure lots of hockey fans could get soup. 

5. Ironic to put hats on 25% off, since a ton of people suddenly need a new hat. It is ironic to stand in that line given that they list the price on hats as high as the NHL store on line has $29.99 for a baseball cap. That same store has almost every hat off that price by at least 30% and some half off. Hey, everyone has to decide for themselves what's worth standing in line for. Not much for me.

6. I don't know that the ice was bad, but it was cooooooold in there last night, so if that matters the ice should have been good. I think they crank the cold with more people in there, and they tend to overshoot, especially if you be in the lower bowl. 

7. Star wars stuff was fun, if a bit underwhelming, like the storm surge Star Wars idea though. 

8. Last year they changed up the pregame buffet in the Arena Restaurant, adding sushi and dropping the previously included desert table. Now, after a $38 meal per person (if you don't drink) it's more for desert and the huge desert variety has left. Complained last year, but with rising overall sales, they have no incentive to add the value back. Disappointing because while it's not cheap, it is a very relaxing way to get to the game early, and the food is of good quality, and given #4, it's hard to otherwise eat in there. We've gone once this year, and probably won't again anytime soon. It's even better before concerts, but they've taken to jacking the price way up. 

9. The storm surge is awesome. To those who have been to other arenas, are there other ones where the fans stay around past the end of the game? Keep those coming. Probably won't hear much about it from many more crusty pundits who lost their jobs. Keep surging.

10. To anyone who cares. When sitting in an arena seat. If you sit forward in the seat and then lean forward, you are wrong. You are blocking the view of the people behind you. You are also in the minority as less than 5% of people sit like that. You also always seem to sit in front of me. So cut it out.

11. That scoreboard is huge. It's amazing how fast you get used to things though. I already take it for granted. What'd it cost again John? 

12. OK 11 is enough! I really like PNC and that's not sarcasm.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Gibbons and Bishop just got sent back down...

If this team can get to that game and put Necas and Haula in for Gibbons and Bishop? I know the Metro is on steroids, but come on!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

10. To anyone who cares. When sitting in an arena seat. If you sit forward in the seat and then lean forward, you are wrong. You are blocking the view of the people behind you. You are also in the minority as less than 5% of people sit like that. You also always seem to sit in front of me. So cut it out

rem, just now seeing this. This is a constant complaint of mine in Section 326, but darn if I know how to "politely" request someone to Sit Back? I assume that those that do so are novices at the PNC arena, at hockey games, thus are unaware of the courtesy of doing so, and I don't want to "ruin" their 1st time experience. As often as not, alcohol indulgence is involved making the interchange even more tense? Just wish that some type of general announcement prior to game start could inform the crowd of this unwritten custom? And, the Jumbotron does help, but I for one like to see the game on ice rather than big screen.

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, just now seeing this. This is a constant complaint of mine in Section 326, but darn if I know how to "politely" request someone to Sit Back? I assume that those that do so are novices at the PNC arena, at hockey games, thus are unaware of the courtesy of doing so, and I don't want to "ruin" their 1st time experience. As often as not, alcohol indulgence is involved making the interchange even more tense? Just wish that some type of general announcement prior to game start could inform the crowd of this unwritten custom? And, the Jumbotron does help, but I for one like to see the game on ice rather than big screen.

I had a group of 3 in front of me who preferred to stand for most of the game. I politely asked them to sit as my 7 year old grandson could not see. They looked at each other and decided to break my cods for the rest of the game. For some fans beer and courtesy dont mix.

• Like 3

What is worse is people who stand up every time there is a line rush or a pass toward the net -  like every play is going to be a goal.  You make everybody behind you stand up if they want to continue to watch the play.  Newbies.  That's what you put up with when winning happens.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

What is worse is people who stand up every time there is a line rush or a pass toward the net -  like every play is going to be a goal.  You make everybody behind you stand up if they want to continue to watch the play.  Newbies.  That's what you put up with when winning happens.  

I’d rather have that issue than no one sitting in front of me for several rows like in the past 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

had a group of 3 in front of me who preferred to stand for most of the game.

That’s what the ushers are for. In my case I have a weapon. My horn.😁

The Hurricanes forward had his third NHL hat trick, and for the second time he scored once each at even strength, on the power play and shorthanded. Aho is the only active player to have two such hat tricks; the first came against the Nashville Predators on Jan. 13, 2019.

https://www.nhl.com/news/facts-and-figures-sebastian-aho-leads-the-way-carolina-december-8/c-312324604

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I’d rather have that issue than no one sitting in front of me for several rows like in the past 

While true AWACS, I'm at the majority of home games and it becomes quite annoying night, after night, after night?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

While true AWACS, I'm at the majority of home games and it becomes quite annoying night, after night, after night?

I’ll give ya that 

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Several years ago we were in the second row of the first balcony. The leaners blocked out a pretty big swath of the ice. Even after asking, the beer and their feeling that they needed to see more over the ledge prevailed. We moved our seats the next season, mostly for that reason. We've moved around a bit, and now in my preferred seats in the lower bowl it's less of a problem because less of the ice is blocked and I can lean around them. But it's still an annoyance for me because I want to see the entire game and the entire ice surface. Most people probably aren't as fanatical about it. 

While I'm chirping, the other annoyance of the lower bowl is that you can hear the conversations of people behind you, often more clearly than the people you're sitting with. This is fine on balance. BUT if you get someone drunk who thinks they're funny, or wants to explain lots of hockey stuff to their non-hockey buddy, but gets most of it wrong, or what I'm getting this year, a cabal of office workers who want to talk about anything other than the game all game long at loud volume.....those people should get seats in the Champions Club and hang out at the bar. It would be better for everyone.

OK, that's my rant. Still love going to games even with those Jablolonski's all around me! Because for every one of them is a total stranger ready to high five every goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

That’s what the ushers are for. In my case I have a weapon. My horn.😁

I might bring out my horn again. It was retired a few years ago but due to pleasantly full seating it may be time to come out of retirement.

52 minutes ago, remkin said:

Several years ago we were in the second row of the first balcony. The leaners blocked out a pretty big swath of the ice. Even after asking, the beer and their feeling that they needed to see more over the ledge prevailed. We moved our seats the next season, mostly for that reason. We've moved around a bit, and now in my preferred seats in the lower bowl it's less of a problem because less of the ice is blocked and I can lean around them. But it's still an annoyance for me because I want to see the entire game and the entire ice surface. Most people probably aren't as fanatical about it. 

While I'm chirping, the other annoyance of the lower bowl is that you can hear the conversations of people behind you, often more clearly than the people you're sitting with. This is fine on balance. BUT if you get someone drunk who thinks their funny, or wants to explain lots of hockey stuff to their non-hockey buddy, but gets most of it wrong, or what I'm getting this year, a cabal of office workers who want to talk about anything other than the game all game long at loud volume.....those people should get seats in the Champions Club and hang out at the bar. It would be better for everyone.

OK, that's my rant. Still love going to games even with those Jablolonski's all around me! Because for every one of them is a total stranger ready to high five every goal. 

I had a group of 4 behind me one game who talked about PC'S and software the entire game. I at one point turned around and asked them if they knew there was a game being played on the ice? They informed me they were geeks (dah). Obviously they didnt buy the tkts or have any interest in the game. I was also educated that Foegelle is known as Mr. Game 7. Learn something every game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yikes, I confess, I am guilty of this occasionally on a clean breakaway...sorry coastal! 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I was also educated that Foegelle is known as Mr. Game 7. Learn something every game.

Maybe they were predicting his role now that J-Willy is gone ;)

8 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Exact same thing happened to me at Sharks game. Added a ball cap for extra height and length of area of ice blocked. 

On the breakaway thing, I had always thought that it was acceptable to stand for a clean breakway on the goalie. I don't know if that is true for sure, but in all my time going to the PNC anyways, it seemed to be accepted, and it surely happened every time. But two on one, or other odd man rushes no.

What say others on the clean breakaway and standing?