The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Edmonton Oilers - Tuesday, December 10, 2019 - 9:00 PM EST

CanesLogo.thumb.GIF.75701d4c5b95bf2e4eb6d13aa20a5eb1.GIF  Vs    oilerslogo.thumb.GIF.04b9a36ad78c039a9c0be04f511b43ae.GIF

350px-Rogers_Place_Arena.jpg.450d2ae500c76b4e863f00cae93a1ce4.jpg

Rogers Place - Edmonton, AB

December 10, 2019 - 9:00 PM EST

image.png.2b1709cc382d432ab22e18e5538eedbe.pngimage.png.825af2be9f947d5fca81ac77414178d6.png

As the great Willie Nelson hit goes... we're "On the Road Again"!  The Carolina Hurricanes (18-11-1) kick off their trip in western Canada as they visit the Edmonton Oilers (18-10-4) at Rogers Place on Tuesday night.  This will be the first of five games during a grueling western swing, in which the Canes will not see home ice until December 21.  This will be a critical contest for the Canes in order to build momentum for the trip itself, and to remain competitive in an insane and unforgiving Metro division.

Carolina closed out their home stand Saturday evening with a 6-2 pounding of the Minnesota Wild, in which many believe was one of the most dominant performances of the season thus far (see Aho contributions). Edmonton dropped a 3-2 overtime decision at home to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday night.  It will be the first of two meetings between the clubs this season.  Carolina took both meetings last season: 7-4 in Edmonton on January 20, 2019 and 3-1 in Raleigh on February 15, 2019.

While I love match-ups with the Western Conference opponents, Edmonton has especially been one of my favorites (not just because of 2006).  The "Oil" have offered up some excellent competition in recent seasons with the Hurricanes.  With Leon Draisaitl and Conner McDavid on frightening paces in racking up stats and leading their team, the Canes will have their hands full once more.  Edmonton leads the Pacific division and has something to prove this season. After a sub-par performance at home vs the lowly Sabres, they will be primed to give their fans a show Tuesday night.

Oilers-Calgary77118.thumb.jpg.89fefb00f3817e57b559d1ceb0b9a48d.jpg   andrei-svechnikov.thumb.jpg.256f408da71adeeb295c482ccf821fba.jpg

The Canes are hoping to establish some consistency in the "W" column.  As mentioned, keeping pace in the Metro division is not for the faint of heart, and the current road trip could really make or break them. All five games on the trip are certainly winnable, with the final one at Colorado being a daunting but doable task.  

The keys to this game will be a "copy and paste" of ones past.  This is not the time for lack of discipline to surface.  Staying off the PK will be essential.  This game has Optimus Reim between the pipes written all over it, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 8

The matchup for me is Slavin vs McDavid.  Slavin has done well against McDavid.  Of course McDavid and Edmonton haven’t these kind of starts either.

Does Slavin reunite with Pesce like the past few times we have played them or keep him with Hamilton?

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

Great GDT surf.

gocanes called it, McJesus and Slavin will be fun to watch. I just hope we can get that matchup when we need it on their ice. Much as I want to see Peas and Carrots together, Rod may have to hedge his bets, at least on defensive zone draws, and send Jordo or Wallmark out to (hopefully) win the draw and clear the zone, then pull Edmundson or Hams or both of the current third pairing to get that matchup.

Of course the question then becomes: do you hurt yourself on offense by taking the top scoring Dman in the NHL off the ice (in the case of Hams) when you're going on the attack? Or reduce your ability to keep Draisaitl in check (and checked) by not having Edmundson out there, is coming into his own a little more each game (at least to my eye). 

So I won't be surprised if Roddy just shows faith in the D pairings he's got, and rolls with them. Mostly I hope I can stay up for all of this one to find out. I love these Western swings--and I hate these Western swings. 

LET'S GO CANES!!

• Like 2

I think the Oilers have McDavid and Draisaitl centering separate lines. Draisaitil has one more point but basically the exact same stat line as McDavid. (Dang I so wanted us to throw it all at the Oilers very early in Draisaitl's career to try to get him. But rumors aside, they knew what they had and would have never let him go).  Anyways, that will be a huge challenge to pick your poison there defensively. And an even bigger challenge on the road will be avoiding bottom pair, 4th line vs one of those two. Draisaitl is on a 136 point pace, with McDavid on a 133 pace. The two of them are on a combined 3.3 point per game pace. Crosby and Malkin who?

• Like 2

The teams are really pretty evenly matched with an edge to us overall. The big issue will be travel/time change. That will, IMO make this one tougher. 

But we make up for their top heavy line up with our #3 and #4 guys still being around a ppg, and more depth below that so that we actually score more goals/game than they do: 3.17 to 2.97, and limit goals better, 2.88 vs 2.99 GA/GP. But the differences are negligible really. They are 10-6-1 at home, we're 8-6-4 on the road. But we do better vs Western teams than Metro. 

On paper it's a very even match up. But the paper doesn't count for travel and jet lag. 

This would be a most sweet win in many ways, but not the least of starting this tough stretch off right.

• Like 1

At least we have a D good enough to have a chance of holding these guys in check, and a system that can do it.  Once they start getting frustrated it is to our advantage.

I think we will win.

• Like 2

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Staal-Foegele
Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Dzingel-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Martinook-Gauthier

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Edmundson-Pesce
Gardiner-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Reimer

I will always remember game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals against Edmonton.   My wife and were there and had some awesome seats about 5 rows from the ice on the end where our team shoots twice.  So every time we play Edmonton it takes me back to that great time.     There were a few Edmonton fans at the game and let me tell you they were a class act.   Shaking our hands after the game in congratulations. 

By they way it is really good to see Necas back.   That kid is good.   I hope Gauthier does well because we could really use his size.   That guy is huge.  Let's go Canes.    GREAT job on starting this thread.  Whoever has the next one is going to have to step up their game.....(just kidding)!!

• Like 2

So now we can see two sequential first rounders together on the big club together. We now have first rounders from 16, 17 and 18 out there. 

We want to draft and develop, so I see this as a good sign and frankly, I hope that Goat sticks and starts to find an NHL power forward game. 

• Like 1

I have this dreaded idea that when we play teams with mega producing players, it's normally not them who kill us, but rather the supporting cast doing damage to us, and usually early in games. It's obviously a bear down on the big 2 night for any team, but don't let the 3rd and 4th grinders set the tone for having to chase the game. They're good, but also a WC good. I'd say our last 4 were all deeper, maybe better, so do what you been doing for 60 and grab 2.

Edmonton lines

Nygard-McDavid-Kassian

Khaira-RNH-Drasati

Neal-Haas-P.Russell

Grandlund-Sheahan-Archubald

DEFENSE

Nurse-bear

Klefbom-Larrson

K,Russell-Jones

Koskinen

I believe we do well tonight. I sure miss Haula but can’t keep :deadhorse:.  If I recall, Nino had a fine game in Edmonton on January 20. No better place to get going again!

6 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

I will always remember game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals against Edmonton.   My wife and were there and had some awesome seats about 5 rows from the ice on the end where our team shoots twice.  So every time we play Edmonton it takes me back to that great time.     There were a few Edmonton fans at the game and let me tell you they were a class act.   Shaking our hands after the game in congratulations. 

By they way it is really good to see Necas back.   That kid is good.   I hope Gauthier does well because we could really use his size.   That guy is huge.  Let's go Canes.    GREAT job on starting this thread.  Whoever has the next one is going to have to step up their game.....(just kidding)!!

I remember it like it was yesterday

• Like 1

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

Hoping for Gauthier to make a case for himself tonight and happy to have NECK-ash back.  Let's do this.

You meant to say "Let's do that Hockey"