The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Vancouver Canucks - Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:00 PM EST

Back to Business...

image.thumb.png.abe7818fae2f46d984271f5c8dfe259c.png

Capture2.thumb.jpg.27b7a6834d392b2467828c4c1e43cf24.jpg

Rogers_Arena_Vancouver_800x475.thumb.jpg.ffb622394a47cf89fc18ec37426ea907.jpg

Rogers Arena - Vancouver, B.C.

December 12, 2019 - 10:00 PM EST

image.png.da157473af6e22be8b17d79654804566.png  image.png.f8e0c94ed63011273fd3abc9740a88ec.png

As the Credence Clearwater Revival tune goes with "Big wheel keep on turnin", we want the the proud Canes to "keep on burnin'". The Carolina Hurricanes (19-11-1) may not be "rollin' on the river", but they head to British Columbia to face the Vancouver Canucks (15-12-4) with purpose and determination to keep a win streak rollin'.

The Canes enjoyed a very impressive 6-3 win in Edmonton on Tuesday night, as they overcame penalty trouble and a blown three-goal lead.  Coming out of the gate and playing with vigor, Carolina jumped to a 3-0 advantage only to see it slowly slip away and eventually become tied in the early goings of the third period.  To the delight of Caniacs everywhere, the visitors did not fold as would have been the case in previous years.  They responded with three third period goals of their own to slam the door on the Oilers comeback bid.

This is the first of two meetings during the 2019-20 season between the two teams.  The Canucks will be in Raleigh on February 2, 2020.  Carolina won both affairs last season.  The Canes won 5-3 in Raleigh  on October 9, 2018 and completed the season sweep on January 23, 2019 in Vancouver by a 5-2 score.  Vancouver lost 4-1 at home on Tuesday night to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

While Vancouver is not quite as prolific (on paper) as the Edmonton Oilers from a talent standpoint, they do pose problems for their opponents. Overlook them at your own peril. Young center Elias Pettersson is certainly making a name for himself early on in his career.  J.T. Miller, Brock Boeser, and Bo Horvat continue to be strong contributors for the Nucks.  Vancouver sits in the middle of the pack of a competitive Pacific division, and they are looking to make a push this year after previous disappointing seasons.

vanc.thumb.jpg.d13f9f288532e612bdd604c4f814d998.jpg

For the Hurricanes, the task will be to carry confidence and momentum of the last two games into Thursday night's contest without having a mental drop-off.  Many Caniacs are resigned to the fact that the Canes will commit more than their share of penalties.  It is a glaring and agonzing issue that somehow needs to be rectified.  On a positive, we saw Nino find the net on a beauty of a shot (with Jake's help) in Edmonton.  Lets hope there is more to come from him and Jake. Martinook reminded us (as if we needed it) that he can be a clutch contributor with the game hanging in the balance. Optimus Reim had an excellent game, and we are seeing him be very serviceable between the pipes.

canes.thumb.png.652e5354a0701bed0b19b5ba5f8de66b.png

No notable injuries are listed for the Carolina Hurricanes (other than Haula).  For Vancouver, former Hurricane Michael Ferland is on the injured list along with Alex Edler, Tyler Motte, and Tyler Graovac.

With Optimus Reim having played Tuesday, it is almost a sure bet Petr Mrazek will be in the crease for this one.

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

The Canes won 5-3 in Vancouver on October 10, 2018 and completed the season sweep on January 24, 2019 in Raleigh by a 5-2 score.

So I guess I was in Raleigh and not Vancouver for the game on 23 January when Ned got his only win? ;)

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So I guess I was in Raleigh and not Vancouver for the game on 23 January when Ned got his only win? ;)

My bad, just corrected that 🤦🏻‍♂️. Looking at stats and results after a long day has its drawbacks 😐

15 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

My bad, just corrected that 🤦🏻‍♂️. Looking at stats and results after a long day has its drawbacks 😐

Have a drink or ten next time...drunken GDT posting is fun 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

Get the lead and keep it.

Yes, this blowing leads is getting old. Once in a while it’s expected.  Seems to be a normal trend with us. 

33 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

Yes, this blowing leads is getting old. Once in a while it’s expected.  Seems to be a normal trend with us. 

But lose all the leads you want as long as you come back with 3 straight goals to win it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

But lose all the leads you want as long as you come back with 3 straight goals to win it.

I’m certainly not going to argue with last night's result. I would like, and I’m sure many would agree, to see them kick some *edit* from start to finish and there never be any doubt.

But alas, that is stating the obvious 😁

• Like 1

WC canadian teams not all that, though the following two are 3rd in divisions. This group tonight ain't. No playing down. Just keep the well rounded game going and showing why the East is dominant below division leaders. Nino and JG trending up, Necas back in game mode, Cherubs flying, solid D, good goaltending, lessen dependency on PK. Those things. You know, normalcy.

This game will be an endurance test...for me and maybe for the team. West coast travel isn't easy.

My hope is we can bring the secondary scoring we showed against the Oil to the Nucks game. I'm still not sure how good the Canes are but my suspicion is better than I originally thought. Going into the season I thought we were good but perhaps we are very good.  I'm hoping for another good start and a win.

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm still not sure how good the Canes are but my suspicion is better than I originally thought. Going into the season I thought we were good but perhaps we are very good.  I'm hoping for another good start and a win.

Back when we were not sure but thought we were probably not that good, the mantra was "you are what your record says you are". If you go by that, we are 19-11-1 good for #7 best team in the league. If one prefers power rankings NHL.com puts out a power ranking that averages the rankings of 13 writers. The Canes came in at #7 in the NHL. 

I get the point though, not so much are we good, but HOW good?

But if one extends the sample back to last year end of December and includes (or doesn't) the playoffs, there is a pretty big sample size. If one prefers to look at goal differential, we are +18 good for #5 in the NHL. 

It is fair to ask how good? But it is also fair to say that we are about as good as we've ever been at this point in the season with the possible exception of the cup year. So, pretty good, is what I'm saying!

That said, Vancouver has been a tough win over the years. This is, as mentioned, a better team than usual, and this team won in Vancouver last year for the first time in forever. 

Keep it rolling.

So with Nino maybe warming up, and maybe Dzingel and even Foegele finding some points, who needs points and goals the most?

From NHL.com:

Jordan Staal has no goals in 12 straight games and one in 20 games since Oct. 29. The center has three goals in 31 games this season and 14 goals in 81 games since the beginning of last season.

That would be the answer.

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

Jordan Staal has no goals in 12 straight games and one in 20 games since Oct. 29.

He sure is struggling offensively. He has 3 assists in the last three games. That's encouraging since he only has 10 points in 31 games. He does bring another aspect to the game we shouldn't overlook but lets face it we expect more. We need more if we are going to have more than one scoring line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

He sure is struggling offensively. He has 3 assists in the last three games. That's encouraging since he only has 10 points in 31 games. He does bring another aspect to the game we shouldn't overlook but lets face it we expect more. We need more if we are going to have more than one scoring line.

My opinion is that his game has gone off a cliff the past two seasons, and I don’t see it getting any better.  

Based on lines used in practice on Wednesday, here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Staal-Foegele
Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Dzingel-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Martinook-Gauthier

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Edmundson-Pesce
Gardiner-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek

1 hour ago, remkin said:

So with Nino maybe warming up, and maybe Dzingel and even Foegele finding some points, who needs points and goals the most?

I really was very happy to see Nino score a good goal with net front presence, but by the third period he was back to his old ways, turning over the puck with regularity and odd decisions on positioning.  At one point he almost ran into Aho who had the puck.  He needs to go to the net, stay there and score tip ins, rebounds and garbage goals, and draw the occasional penalty.  He doesn’t help when he is skating around turning the puck over.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I get the point though, not so much are we good, but HOW good?

Doesn’t matter.  Where was Stanley cup champion St. Louis at this time last year?

This is the time to develop good habits, find out who/what works and who/what doesn’t, develop chemistry throughout the team, stay healthy, stay in playoff position and have fun.  Getting really good is for March!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Jordan Staal has no goals in 12 straight games and one in 20 games since Oct. 29. The center has three goals in 31 games this season and 14 goals in 81 games since the beginning of last season.

Hey, i forgot all about that guy!  Where's he playing these days, anyway?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Gauthier  gets another chance

Mragic in goal

Sure would prefer Goat to keep his stick where it belongs, and not take dumb penalties?

• Like 1