The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Vancouver Canucks - Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:00 PM EST

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

Lake, was it rem or wxray?

It was wxray.  Saw my mistake right after I posted it and hoped I'd corrected it before anyone else saw it.  Guess not, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

26 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thank you wxray for reminding us about our collective mindset "what have you done for me lately". And I am front and center among you because at the draft party I probably cheered the loudest when that trade was announced in 2012. Retrospective analysis is certainly inerrant, isn't it? bluedevilcane's point above is certainly on point, as are the concerns voiced by spyglass et al, but in the past, Jordan like several others (looking at you Aho) come out of the gates slowly.  I'm hoping he like the others warms up during the 2nd half of the season?

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm thinking that old thread may be just a bit humbling to several members on here.  In retrospect, it's interesting to note that the "negative" take from the non-Canes-fan guy who lived down the road from the Staal's sod farm and who said he'd followed Jordan his whole career may well have been the most accurate about what to expect from J Staal going forward.

disclaimer: I'm not being critical of anyone's take at that point; it was before I started actively following the Canes, so I wasn't "at risk" of giving an opinion that could come back to haunt me.  

Here's the thing.  Almost everyone  was humbled one way or another.  Myself included.  Although I liked Rem's post most.  :)

Edited by wxray1

44 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Here's the thing.  Almost everyone  was humbled one way or another.  Myself included.  Although I liked Rem's post most.  :)

I've got to go with the post below that I stumbled across in that thread.  Sincere apologies to AWAC for re-posting this, but to me it's priceless.  :grin:

On 4/17/2013 at 2:04 PM, AWACSooner said:

Semin has quietly earned the fanbase's respect by his actions on the ice...Jordan, well, not so much...

Semin deserves the A more than Jordan

But back to the game: I didnt see it, but it sounds like Markstrom was basically Mongo possessed by the skills of Lundqvist?

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, remkin said:

Ryan Suzuki could be a future center but he's at least 2 years from the NHL probably, and more to be a center.

On this player, rem or anyone, at one time recently, he reputedly sustained a serious eye injury. Has that resolved, and if so, how is he doing?

Wow. 2013. Hard to believe that's 6 years ago. Yes, I really thought Jordan would become more than he has offensively. (Though in fairness, there have been many times I've been tempted to post predictions from the past that have been pretty spot on, but that's generally frowned upon, so we are stuck with what others choose to repost for us. In this case, not the best). But predicting things is like a MLB batting average.

When it came to predicting Jordan's offensive upside, I overestimated based on his previous two years in Pittsburgh including playoffs. He's never gotten close here to the projected productivity of those years. He's had a couple of stretches of 2-3 months where he's looked really strong, even close to a ppg with the likes of Nordstrom and Nestracil as his wingers, but he's never been able to do it consistently. In the end, he just doesn't have the hands. I pretty regularly find myself using the "stone hands" phrase at the TV or at the PNC. But this year it's not just the hands. Something else is off.

His last two seasons in Pittsburgh, one of them on the third line, he scored .71 ppg and .80 ppg, with .92 ppg over 13 playoff games. Over a 113 game stretch those two years before he came here with playoffs, he put up 92 points in 112 games for .814 ppg.  That was over the two seasons right before he came here.

There was that one guy who insisted those Pittsburgh numbers would not hold up here. He turned out to be right. 

But this year is a whole 'nuther level lower. If this year is the final answer, then pulling that thread up in a couple more years will be even worse. 

I'm still hoping that Staal can get back to at least 45 point, near 20 goal range, and at that, with this team, he is still of value. Maybe not $6 million worth, but value. Of course at about a 45 point pace last year, Rod called him the best forward on the team and people just don't realize how good he is. So there's that. I guess time will tell, but at this point predicting more than 50 points seems nuts, and this year, he's on pace for 25. 

He had moments in last year's playoffs where he really seemed to be coming on too. But as good as he can look at times, he just can't seem to sustain it, and then he gets stretches like this.