The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Vancouver Canucks - Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:00 PM EST

I wonder if it is too late in Jordan Staals' career to make him a defenseman vs. a center.   He is good on the PK and is really tough once he has the puck.   But he just can't seem to put the puck in the net and his passing ain't all that.    He could still take faceoffs and maybe start a trend of a defenseman in the faceoff circle.   Something has got to give with Mr. Staal.   He is definitely struggling yet he still gets lots of ice time which I suppose the team is trying to get its monies worth.  

3 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

He is definitely struggling yet he still gets lots of ice time which I suppose the team is trying to get its monies worth.  

Thanks JR 🤯

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Nah, we need to up our stats to #1 in the penalty kill, haha

You laugh but we may just have to 😶.... and it will up our blood pressure 

1 hour ago, snuffy72 said:

Something has got to give with Mr. Staal.  

He's giving us exactly what we got him for: Selke-level defensive centering, crazy-good PK (as you note), face-off proficiency in all three zones. (Although rumor has it that face-offs are unimportant.) He stays healthy, plays big minutes (as you note), and we'll be glad we have him at playoff time.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I like our chances tonight.  I think the boys know what they need to do. Hopefully Rod motivates them to stay out of the penalty box 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'll be watching and getting up for work tomorrow. Therefore, I have just two requirements: a win, in regulation.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He's giving us exactly what we got him for: Selke-level defensive centering, crazy-good PK (as you note), face-off proficiency in all three zones. (Although rumor has it that face-offs are unimportant.) He stays healthy, plays big minutes (as you note), and we'll be glad we have him at playoff time.

So true, there are 12 guys skating (most nights) we need a few that can hit, kill, possess, win face offs, and do dirty work. We have some near elite scorers in Aho, Svech, and Haula (when healthy), an elite set up man, quite a few secondary scores, blue line scorers, and grit guys. We need Jordo and even though a few question his leadership wearing the C I feel like the guys on the ice do not in anyway question it.

Edited by Derailed75

I would say “this game worries me,” but then I’d be repeating myself for all five games of the trip...

Gonna take a complete effort like last game to get the W tonight 

Staal, and players like him, are to hockey what the left Offensive tackle is to football and to QB's. Unsung, light on reported stats, tough as nails, and skilled at trench and dirty work. If not doing their job, somebody gets hurt or even embarrassed. For those who view all games through the eyes of stat mongering, they go unnoticed and appear to be detracting, when in fact, coaches and players who just don't wanna do all that, know their value, speak of it, and know well they can't do without it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, remkin said:

So with Nino maybe warming up, and maybe Dzingel and even Foegele finding some points, who needs points and goals the most?

From NHL.com:

Jordan Staal has no goals in 12 straight games and one in 20 games since Oct. 29. The center has three goals in 31 games this season and 14 goals in 81 games since the beginning of last season.

That would be the answer.

On the good note 

Aho leads Carolina with 18 goals, including 15 since Nov. 1, the most of any player in the NHL in that span.

• Like 2