The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Calgary Flames - Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 4:00 PM EST

Can't Afford to"Peter Out" Now!

BP.thumb.GIF.4c540947af1c44d7f1c0974a6b4f9350.GIF

canes1.jpg.17772ec5a544ddc0892003bf20e24990.jpg                       Vs                       flames2.png.f6e43cdcc9ade764916c9e798cc3b1c8.png

canes3.GIF.65007e5c4b77ea534e1ed287bff567d0.GIF                                                        flames1.png.d594d6f4daf0091b16b351910bd2aa52.png

saddledome1.jpg.b0ca3282b7063f16c66ad5b9c97ea512.jpg

saddledome2.png.17c6503ab90128e90413483cee134614.png

Calgary, AB - Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 4:00 PM EST

image.png.c0729b24bbf8730d9f56f95ee9e4213a.pngimage.png.908320654769e7f86ddb319b882417e2.png

Do we find it ironic that disgraced NHL coach Bill Peters was "fired" by the "Flames"?  OK, poor attempt at humor there. We won't exacerbate that topic any further in this forum.  This is for sure though: the Carolina Hurricanes (19-11-2) will not have their former bench boss looking on from the opposing bench when they visit the Calgary Flames (18-12-4) on Saturday afternoon in Calgary.  The Canes will certainly be facing a red-hot Calgary team that is currently riding a seven-game winning streak.  In order for a storm surge to douse these scorching Flames, they will have to play some stingy defense (check), generate some offense (uhhh), and stay out of the sin bin (no comment).

This will be a huge test for Carolina, coming off a head-scratcher 1-0 OT loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday night.  The Hurricanes have earned three out of four possible points thus far - not too shabby - but will have their hands full against a tough opponent seeking their eight straight win.  Carolina must dig deep, play with fervor, and attempt to be disciplined.  

I have given up on the Canes ability to fix their penalty woes.  I am accepting the fact they're not as disciplined as they should be, and they just have to continue to kill penalties with business-like precision.  I'll change my stance on that if/when we see improvement.

This is the second and final meeting between the two clubs for the 2019-20 campaign.  Carolina edged Calgary 2-1 in Raleigh on October 29, 2019 on two Andrei Svechnikov goals - one being the famous "lacrosse" magic trick that clowned Flames goalie David Rittich. Calgary topped the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-2 at home on Thursday night.

Expected Calgary lines as of December 13, 2019 (Source: www.dailyfaceoff.com)

flamesline1.thumb.GIF.7f2c074579f366ee035429611c04ac5f.GIF

flamesline2.thumb.GIF.6a02b2a5c62ddcac1eb50d7bbe58355c.GIF

flamesdef.thumb.GIF.95ecd2aa3426fa198cab5ca4a6fd84dd.GIF

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 4

I feel good about this one.  I think the guys are still smarting from the sting of losing a game like they did in Vancouver.  They know they can put numbers up like they did in Edmonton.  A combination of confidence and determination - ****** off from losing a hard-played game - can be the keys for a rebound performance.  I think we win this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Question is: Mragic or Reim Time?

Tough one Reims has been really good on the road but Mragic posted a 62 min shut out loss last game. I would think Reims since the last game went long

May be a little late tuning in to this one, darn it, as have to watch my quarterback (Burrow) get his Heisman trophy. But then I'm in. Stay out of the penalty box.

Currently traveling to visit the Sleek-in-laws in Michigan for the Christmas season. Missed last night's game and will miss this one. Just no one get hurt please. Go get em with some Road Sojourn Pig Power.

This is the match up of two teams who have thrived once the tight yoke of Peters was removed and they were allowed to fly free. I wish we had gotten them before that, but it could be a very interesting game. 

We now have the #6 PP in the league and the #2 PK in the league. Calgary has a good kill, but surprisingly average PP. 

All stats on Calgary though are suspect because they include the pre and post Peters era. They are clearly a new team now. As such and it seems as always, this would be a huge win to stop that win steak and beat this new "hot" Flames team in their barn. Not to mention the points. 

The Metro is brutal, but on the upside, if the NYI lose, and we win, we're 2 points out of second (though magic beans are in play). 

So, just get it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

The Metro is brutal, but on the upside, if the NYI lose, and we win, we're 2 points out of second (though magic beans are in play). 

And then there’s the *edit* Evil Empire 

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And then there’s the *edit* Evil Empire 

yeah, I'm trying to look up to avoid looking around!

• Like 1

Lots of channel flipping for me today. Army-Navy starts at 3. As a Navy vet this is the very definition of must watch TV. Going to start a new run today, Army has won the last 3 but before that Navy rolled up 14 wins in a row.

Go Navy beat army

• Like 1

Whenever we play the Flames the image of Lindy mocking the surge flashes in my mind. Now I like Lindy but you know when you do something like that it deserves a response each and every time the two teams meet. Time to bring the Flames back down to earth. Win it, win it big, WIN IT!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Come on guys, start posting. One hour to game time. And I was wrong, Heisman is on at 7pm? 

I would if I knew who the goalie was so I know which one to start on my fantasy team!

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Whenever we play the Flames the image of Lindy mocking the surge flashes in my mind. Now I like Lindy but you know when you do something like that it deserves a response each and every time the two teams meet. Time to bring the Flames back down to earth. Win it, win it big, WIN IT!

Just a reminder to boil the blood a bit.

6 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Just a reminder to boil the blood a bit.

Wish if we take this, that Martinook or Svech would break that out, but then that's lowering ourselves to that tool? PS: yeah, right, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wish if we take this, that Martinook or Svech would break that out, but then that's lowering ourselves to that tool? PS: yeah, right, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

You know, I would do the same. However the fact that he got to watch the Canes do 2 home playoff storm surges while he sat at home was pretty good revenge