The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Calgary Flames - Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 4:00 PM EST

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

It was more Foegele and Svech...

Foegele is depth,. Staal 65 percent FO win. Their top line totally wiped. 

Just got home and get to watch highlights. I’m guessing based on the score I won’t see many Flames 🔥 highlights. It’s ok to be selfish during the holidays 😇😎

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Actually, I’m saying he needs to view from the press box for a bit...his face off stats aren’t that good anymore, and he’s become more of a liability than an asset right now 

Staal is our top faceoff center at about 55%. The only other Cane over 50% is Wallmark, and Aho is around 46%. For years it seemed every power play began with us spending 20-25 seconds retrieving the puck from behind our goal after losing a faceoff. Teams that have the best looking PPs to me are those that control the puck right away and don’t have to constantly labor to enter the offensive zone. I’m not sure Staal’s faceoff percentage is elite, but he’s still the best we’ve got, and I think that has a lot to do with why he’s still out with the #1 PP unit. I believe Wallmark takes the faceoffs with the other PP unit.

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

James Reimer making a statement for the #1 spot? I have spoken?

I think we will see the goalies used more like McE and Mrazek were last year going forward. Splitting duties/more rest seems to agree with both of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Staal is our top faceoff center at about 55%. The only other Cane over 50% is Wallmark, and Aho is around 46%. For years it seemed every power play began with us spending 20-25 seconds retrieving the puck from behind our goal after losing a faceoff. Teams that have the best looking PPs to me are those that control the puck right away and don’t have to constantly labor to enter the offensive zone. I’m not sure Staal’s faceoff percentage is elite, but he’s still the best we’ve got, and I think that has a lot to do with why he’s still out with the #1 PP unit. I believe Wallmark takes the faceoffs with the other PP unit.

No disagreement that Staal is our clutch face-off guy. He clearly helps us get early possession on the PP as you say.

But the PP is mainly about having a man advantage. That's why, of course, teams typically put their best offensive players on the PP units. Given Steal's poor offensive skills, our man advantage may mostly dissipate by leaving him on the ice after the initial PP face-off. 

Staal could be more than one-dimensional on the PP if he would position himself in front of the goalie after winning the face-off, but he doesn't do that. Instead, he plays below the net on either side or in the middle 10-12 feet in front of the goalie. He's not a particularly adept passer or scorer in these positions, so the question is whether the PP would work even better with another more offensively-skilled player in his place.

For me, I'd either pull Staal off after the PP face-off (like we do with overtime 3-on-3) or not put him out there in the first place, and play either Necas or Dzingel for the duration. But then, there's a reason they don't pay me the big bucks to make those decisions and I'm probably all wrong about this. 😁  

• Like 1

Can someone explain why Lindholm got 3rd star of the game when the Flames were shut out? How could they possibly justify that when there were 3 goal scorers and a great goalie performance? 

4 minutes ago, LFADAM said:

Can someone explain why Lindholm got 3rd star of the game when the Flames were shut out? How could they possibly justify that when there were 3 goal scorers and a great goalie performance? 

Maybe they still associate him as Cane 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, LFADAM said:

Because the Canadian media, who hold themselves to the highest standards of sports journalism, are no different than any other homer journalists, including our own troop down here.

No difference.  Cane's media have done the same crap.  The difference being they don't brag about their journalistic superiority on All Things Hockey like the Canuks do.

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, LFADAM said:

Participation trophy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LFADAM said:

Maybe he helped keep the score down? He surely didn't skol though?

• Like 3

Really nice win. Good teams find ways to win. This is a game the old Canes would almost certainly lose after that first period. Calgary would have potted one or two goals in the first, and we'd have folded. This team? No. This team's motto could be "we got this". No matter what.

And that is partly because we are deep with talent at almost all positions, and partly because that includes goalie. This team is much more talented and deeper than really any in 10 years or so, but if Waddell and the Committee have done one thing much better that Francis (besides whispering to ping pong balls), it's been whispering to goalies. Cutting bait on the supposedly rejuvenated Mongo early. Seeing something in a previously terrible Mrazek. Getting McE then swapping him for Reimer this year: (this year: McE .898, Reimer .924). At least so far, that's been a big part of this.

Goat is looking better. Still small sample size, but also still on the 4th line. The biggest recipient of that sweet play at the blueline that lead to McGinn's goal not being called back is Goat. I really thought a few more games would help him. But I see he just got sent down. I'm hoping this means that Haula is back. If they call up someone else, or go back to 7 D, well I'd have liked to see a bit more of the goat first.

Necas is battling it since back from his injury. The rookie will figure it out. 

Foegele is not just another PDG/McGinn. He has more skill than some might think. He will start to finish more IMO. He will get confidence from those two goals. He has not been a great finisher, but many of his chances he creates himself. Keep an eye on him. Maybe never a first liner, but a long career if he stays healthy.

55% in the face-off circle means you win 1 more face off per 20 face-offs than an average center. Not that that one face-off might not be key, or that you wouldn't want to win it, but it's not a massive game changer compared to other things. Winning one extra puck battle on the boards per 20 battles is just as good. Staal's defense is a clear plus even now, he's managed to be an even player despite not scoring, but this is a very plus team. For $6 million a year, we need more in the offensive zone from Staal. Two way centers play two ways, not just D. I'm not looking for 80 points, but even getting remotely close to 40 would be nice.

This is a good team. We now have a combined full season's worth of games to look at, and this year's team is now on a 104 point pace. We haven't had to utter the term "NHL .500" in a long time. The East and the Metro are crazy, but we are a very good team. We are tied with the Evil Empire for #6 best record in the NHL. We have the #2 PK. But the #6 PP. PK may be more important, but PP has been the problem. The committee set out to fix the PP. We have moved from #20 to #6. Not sure when the last time we had the #6 PP was. Nice job committee. 

Keep it rolling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Cutting bait on the supposedly rejuvenated Mongo early. Seeing something in a previously terrible Mrazek. Getting McE then swapping him for Reimer this year: (this year: McE .898, Reimer .924). At least so far, that's been a big part of this.

In a figurative sense McE was swapped for Reimer into the backup role, but in a literal sense it was actually Mongo who was swapped for Reimer with Florida.  The only place that could take place is a salary capped NHL where Mongo’s unfortunate salary was a feature to a team looking to pad their payroll.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MisterDobz said:

In a figurative sense McE was swapped for Reimer into the backup role, but in a literal sense it was actually Mongo who was swapped for Reimer with Florida.  The only place that could take place is a salary capped NHL where Mongo’s unfortunate salary was a feature to a team looking to pad their payroll.

Right. It's the decision tree I'm talking about. The decision to: 1. Go with Mrazek the first. 2. Cut Mongo early 3. Go with McE. 4. Go with Mrazek the second. 5. Get Reimer instead of re-signing McE. (Admittedly McE might not have been available).

And those decisions measured against Francis' decisions to 1. Keep Ward. 2. Add Lack 3. Add Mongo 4. Stick with Mongo.

• Like 3

What is more crazy about Reimer:

Bob: 3.14 .909sv percentage 10 million AAV  and Darling bought out for over a million AAV on the cap.  11-12+ million a year

Reimer: 2.41, .924 sv percentage, 3.25 million AAV.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

What is more crazy about Reimer:

Bob: 3.14 .909sv percentage 10 million AAV  and Darling bought out for over a million AAV on the cap.  11-12+ million a year

Reimer: 2.41, .924 sv percentage, 3.25 million AAV.

I just don’t get the hype around Bob...I think his true skill set is showing this year and he’s not going to get any better over time.  I think the SwampCats massively overpaid and are gonna be wishing they could get Spencer Knight in net in about two more seasons 

Watched the game, got to about 10 minutes left in the 3rd and I asked myself how did those 2 shorties happen were running out of time. Well, ask and you shall receive what I didn't know is the literal parade of penalties we were about to take. Great response but maybe calm the sticks down next time? Ref's have to call the trips and I couldn't tell if the Flames were selling them well or what.

Without especially Reimers first 30 minutes that games a loss, obviously the entirety of the game was great but those first 30 minutes were essential. I'm not sure if we come out of the first down 2-0 that we score the next 4 like we did.

Petr tends to heat up when he starts getting outplayed by the backup, hopefully thats the case again.

• Like 3