The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

12/17 Canes @ Jets 8pm

Ill do my best to follow surfzone....

The retread cup! Waddell versus Maurice

Canes  20-11-2

vs 

Jets  20-11-2

Canes are coming off 5 of 6 points so far in their middle of NA trip.  They have the points they need to be on the road.  Any additional points are gravy!

Jets are coming off putting a whopping on the Flyers on Sunday, 7-3. They have the exact same record and average age of the roster, 26.4.  Jets don’t have a strong defensive core but they play a sound defensive system. Hellebuyck has aided that with his impressive.930 save percentage.

Despite their lack of big talent on D, they have allowed only 4 more goals that the Canes.  

The typical suspects are their leading scorers: Scheifele, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, and Wheeler with more than 25 points so far.

I would expect to see a game where the Canes control majority of the play. Canes CF is 55.7% and Jets is 49.6%.  The defense has to do a good job if tracking moving players and boxing out to prevent high danger chances.

The Jets are an anomaly in advanced stats. They have a very good record but the stats should say otherwise. The Jets are -11.1 in expected goal differential, are well below average for high danger chances, below average on high danger chances against, and below average in special teams. They are league average for goals scores, and shots.  They are above average in shot % but only by 0.7%, 9.0 is average.  They are well above average in save percentage despite their backup having a sub .900.

The Canes are close to the inverse of all of that.  It will be interesting to see who exploits the others weaknesses first.

Win one for Waddell against the old organization!!

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 6

I expect to see the following lines:

Svech-Staal-Foeg

Nino-Aho-Turbo

Dz-Wally-Necas

McGinn-Marty-Gibbons

I’d like to see Reimer get this start. Mrazek get the next two then Reimer get Toronto in Toronto next Monday.

Jets are solid and what they did to Philly was serious. Hell I remember that 8-1 beating we took last year from them. With that, we will win this one ☝ 👍🏽

tenor.gif?itemid=14947968

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 2

Pretty amazing that we have essentially the exact same record. Talk about evenly matched. But wait, it goes further. 

Last 10:

Canes: 6-3-1

Jets: 7-2-1

Canes Away: 10-6-2

Jets Home: 10-5-1

Even with their huge blow out win, we have an edge in goal diff. +21 to +10.

So where do we separate? Well besides Corsi, this is actually a game that favors us distinctly in the special teams department if we can draw some penalties. If there are a lot of penalties both ways we have an advantage:

PP: Canes #5 (tie), Jets #19

PK: Canes #2, Jets #28 (Canes are #1 in net PK).

I know we'll take some penalties (#7 most penalties taken). The downside is that Winnepeg has taken the least number of penalties in the NHL, which should even up that stat. 

So, if we can at least keep the PP's even and hopefully get them to take more than usual, it's to our advantage. Otherwise this is the ultimate 50-50 game.

Found another stat: net penatlies. Simply the amount you draw vs the amount you take. The Peg is #2 in the NHL at +20, The Canes #25 at -10. 

I really get that we are playing looser, and overall it is leading to good things. Back in the Peters days we were at the very top (#2 in Peters last year). It is interesting that we seemed to be so "well coached" in the sense of possession, shots taken, shots limited and drawing and not taking penalties. But, as it turns out, we were almost certainly "overcoached" (in more ways than one). What, still too soon?

So, I'm not really concerned about not being at the top of the league in this area, especially with the league's #2 (or #1) PK. HOWEVER, some of these penalties really are careless stick penalties, and it would seem we could at least move closer to the middle of the pack in this area and get more and give fewer PP's. 

I'd keep riding Reimer too. There's the whole shut out thing, and just riding a hot hand. Let Mrazek try to tame the toughest team on this trip in Colorado at altitude.

• Like 1

Looks like evenly matched teams. Could make for a good contest. I'm going to guess Mrazek gets the start but it won't be because Reims hasn't earned another go.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Pretty amazing that we have essentially the exact same record. Talk about evenly matched. But wait, it goes further. 

Last 10:

Canes: 6-3-1

Jets: 7-2-1

Canes Away: 10-6-2

Jets Home: 10-5-1

Even with their huge blow out win, we have an edge in goal diff. +21 to +10.

So where do we separate? Well besides Corsi, this is actually a game that favors us distinctly in the special teams department if we can draw some penalties. If there are a lot of penalties both ways we have an advantage:

PP: Canes #5 (tie), Jets #19

PK: Canes #2, Jets #28 (Canes are #1 in net PK).

I know we'll take some penalties (#7 most penalties taken). The downside is that Winnepeg has taken the least number of penalties in the NHL, which should even up that stat. 

So, if we can at least keep the PP's even and hopefully get them to take more than usual, it's to our advantage. Otherwise this is the ultimate 50-50 game.

All of these stats make me happy, however, seeing that we are tied for #5 on the power play at Xmas time is amazing.  It's been a long long time.  I mean really long since the PP wasn't the weakest part of the team that we constantly discussed and hated.  

Surprised that they sent Gauthier back down.  He didn't stand out but he looked to be pretty solid last outing.  Had a nice board battle that led to a goal.  This one tonight should be a good one.

45 minutes ago, Tightlinez said:

Surprised that they sent Gauthier back down. 

Michael Smith indicated he could be brought right back up, so this may be something related to his service time on his ELC (which I thought was games, not days), or they could just be cheaping out on his two-way deal to save a day's NHL salary. 

He clearly looks ready for the NHL game to me.  Bull in a china shop mentality, which the team needs up front.

the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Staal-Foegele
Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Dzingel-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Martinook-Gibbons

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Edmundson-Pesce
Gardiner-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek

Tell me we aren't mirror image teams!

It appears the Jets will go with 11 forwards and seven defenceman for the game tonight against the Hurricanes.

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

Looks like evenly matched teams. Could make for a good contest. I'm going to guess Mrazek gets the start but it won't be because Reims hasn't earned another go.

Reims didnt get the start after his last shutout...suprising.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Reims didnt get the start after his last shutout...suprising.

He’ll get the Avs on Thursday...and I’m guessing the SwampCats on Saturday 

Looking forward to it. Hopefully can find a TV in Manhattan to watch on. Or just watch on Hulu on phone. Making sure to sport my canes gear in the city. Remarkably isles fans ain’t to keen on it.  Have to root For the Preds again tonight 🤮. They is playing the isles after smoking the rangers.   

9D6DD031-81C6-4F5F-B380-171CE2D4AD65.jpeg

Edited by cc
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cc said:

Looking forward to it. Hopefully can find a TV in Manhattan to watch on. Or just watch on Hulu on phone. Making sure to sport my canes gear in the city. Remarkably isles fans ain’t to keen on it.  Have to root For the Preds again tonight 🤮. They is playing the isles after smoking the rangers.   

9D6DD031-81C6-4F5F-B380-171CE2D4AD65.jpeg

Hope Pekka starts playing like his old self, then, or else it’s gonna be a looooong night 

16 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Hoping this is the status of Jets fans in Winnipeg after three periods tomorrow...

A2F865FA-A033-43A2-8F90-203A0A7EC86F.jpeg

You shouldn't be posting pics of what happened when they let you drive....😜

25 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

You shouldn't be posting pics of what happened when they let you drive....😜

I’ve successfully pulled a Ted Striker and landed the plane safely TWICE without crashing, veering off the runway, or popping tires...of course that was in the full motion simulator ;)

Edited by AWACSooner