The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:
Mentioned this on Insider Trading yesterday, Justin Williams has been skating the last 3-4 weeks on his own, still no decision but possibility he comes back. Carolina obviously the front-runner but 'Canes cap situation also makes it a tight fit... other teams may poke around...

Pierre LeBrun

@PierreVLeBrun

In an ideal world, if Williams decides to come back, and if Carolina can find a contract that works, the 'Canes would like him back in the fold sometime next month... give him as much time as possible to get back up to speed.

Edited by gocanes0506

Could really add to the dynamic of the team.

A leader

RHS

face-off winner

adding Williams and Haula to this team :coverears:

there isn’t a way the Canes can’t afford him.  League minimum with a easily attainable performance bonus.  Get er done

Edited by gocanes0506

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Could really add to the dynamic of the team.

A leader

RHS

face-off winner

adding Williams and Haula to this team :coverears:

there isn’t a way the Canes can’t afford him.  League minimum with a easily attainable performance bonus.  Get er done

I have been earmarking Jan 1 for a JW return since this saga unfolded.  While they could go the league minimum plus performance bonus route, it may be that we see a minor salary dump, such as TVR's $2+M, to push this deal along.  I don't know about his medical status, but it would not surprise me to see Haula in and out of the lineup for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I have been earmarking Jan 1 for a JW return since this saga unfolded.  While they could go the league minimum plus performance bonus route, it may be that we see a minor salary dump, such as TVR's $2+M, to push this deal along.  I don't know about his medical status, but it would not surprise me to see Haula in and out of the lineup for the rest of the season.

A performance bonus can and would be pushed to the 20-21 cap.  Really no need to dump anyone. A league minimum of 800k would still leave us with 1 million in space especially once Gibbons went back down. Give a 3 million bonus to play 25 games or something dumb like that.

I don't know whether he will come back. I do know I'm maybe his biggest fan, going back to his rookie year in Philly, and no longer care whether he does or doesn't. Along with five bucks, that'll get you a frappucino at Starbucks.

I don't think Willy's return would hurt the team, but do think it is unnecessary, and that should be the standard: are we doing it because we need to, or because we can, i.e., because we want to give a favorite son who already has three rings one more run at the Cup?

Again, I don't care (much) either way, but If we do it because we can, I think that goes against everything Roddy purports to believe in, and more important, wastes an opportunity to give a young player invaluable playoff exposure, in favor of returning to the dance a guy who has already waltzed more than most guys in this league ever will.  

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

I think there is only one question if he wants to come back. Does it make this team better? 

The risk IMO would be that he has lost a step not only due to age, but being out of the game for so long. Then as he tries to work back in, he might make mistakes that do hurt the team and then grip the stick, etc. That is, however, offset by getting a lot more time to rest post long playoff run and only having to play less than half of a season. 

I suppose there is the chance of a chemistry risk. He really can't come back as the Captain or probably even take a letter. I think that J Williams will not let that be a problem, so I see it as a small risk.

But if Williams can return to form there is no doubt that he makes us better. This is a 20 goal 50 point player with veteran smarts, and a strong leader on and off the ice even without the C. 

He would basically replace Gibbons with Haula out, so, J Williams for Gibbons, is a clear improvement. And I mostly like Gibbons. With Haula and a full complement of forwards, it could get interesting who sits, it would probably be McGinn, maybe that affects chemistry, but Williams is an upgrade there. 

I'd like to see it because of the interestingness of it, and the team will have injuries. But I also agree that the team does not need him, so if he decides not to, we'll be fine.

38 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't know whether he will come back. I do know I'm maybe his biggest fan, going back to his rookie year in Philly, and no longer care whether he does or doesn't. Along with five bucks, that'll get you a frappucino at Starbucks.

I don't think Willy's return would hurt the team, but do think it is unnecessary, and that should be the standard: are we doing it because we need to, or because we can, i.e., because we want to give a favorite son who already has three rings one more run at the Cup?

Again, I don't care (much) either way, but If we do it because we can, I think that goes against everything Roddy purports to believe in, and more important, wastes an opportunity to give a young player invaluable playoff exposure, in favor of returning to the dance a guy who has already waltzed more than most guys in this league ever will.  

With the goal of a deep playoff run, JW's presence is necessary.  I am not capitalizing the word or italicizing it, but I would like to.  Winning playoff series is going to take more than talent.  This team needs the grit JW brings as an element to fend off physical teams such as Boston and Wash.  Not taking one bit away from the current group and their successes, but playoff hockey is another animal altogether.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

With the goal of a deep playoff run, JW's presence is necessary.  I am not capitalizing the word or italicizing it, but I would like to.  Winning playoff series is going to take more than talent.  This team needs the grit JW brings as an element to fend off physical teams such as Boston and Wash.  Not taking one bit away from the current group and their successes, but playoff hockey is another animal altogether.

That is probably the only reason I’d want him back.  Scoring wise, I don’t think he’ll contribute more than a few of the guys who’d sit in his stead, but his leadership is immeasurable 

• Like 1

It took him a while to really get going last year. If he comes back, it needs to be at full speed. The team has really good chemistry, and as good as Williams is, waiting for him to get up to speed could hurt in the short term.

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

Like I said, I don't see Willy hurting us. But if we're really pinning our hopes on a 38-year-old for bringing the heavy when we've got guys like Foegele, Marty, Edmondson, Svech, Gaut, and Staal (yes Staal, who CAN bring it, and too often opts not to), I think we have to ask: If we're not already heavy enough to bring it without him, when will we be? Sometimes you just have to put guys in situations and trust them to handle them. This team has done so all year, and I'm more than a little concerned that Willy coming back will be more of a distraction than an addition.

• Like 2

We need to move on from JW. I actually do worry about a chemistry adjustment if he did come back at the wrong time. No Canes fan loves JW more than I do but we must move on. If  all the cards line up and it doesn’t pose a major chemistry issue, and he still has some fire 🔥 left, then maaaaybe...Just my 2 cents...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

We need to move on from JW. I actually do worry about a chemistry adjustment if he did come back at the wrong time. No Canes fan loves JW more than I do but we must move on. If  all the cards line up and it doesn’t pose a major chemistry issue, and he still has some fire 🔥 left, then maaaaybe...Just my 2 cents...

Gotta agree to disagree.  Not only does JW not present a chemistry problem, JW is a chemistry solution.  This team has made large strides the past 2 years.  Who residing in the locker room has ever gone anywhere in the playoffs?  JW is practically a Derek Jeter or a Mariano Rivera when it comes to post season play.  The team needs his knowledge, experience, and battle tested fortitude to move to the next plateau.  This team would be crazy NOT to welcome JW back with open arms.

Hope to see him at New Year's.

51 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Gotta agree to disagree.  Not only does JW not present a chemistry problem, JW is a chemistry solution.  This team has made large strides the past 2 years.  Who residing in the locker room has ever gone anywhere in the playoffs?  JW is practically a Derek Jeter or a Mariano Rivera when it comes to post season play.  The team needs his knowledge, experience, and battle tested fortitude to move to the next plateau.  This team would be crazy NOT to welcome JW back with open arms.

Hope to see him at New Year's.

Fair enough. Those are very astute points you make and to a degree I have no qualms about them.  Nonetheless, post-JW reality is setting in, and if he does come back it will be more of a surge (no post-game win celebration pun intended) effort more than being the cornerstone of the team.  If he does come back, I certainly hope he adds all this and more.  You certainly wont hear me rooting against him.

8 hours ago, beboplar said:

Who residing in the locker room has ever gone anywhere in the playoffs?

You mean besides most of the guys on the roster, who went to the Conference Finals last year? Well, how about...

Staal: Won the Cup (58 total playoff games before last year's 15 with the Canes).

TT: Won the Cup (plus 7 more playoff games with Chicago before last year's 15 with the Canes).

TVR: Won the Cup (and 11 more playoff games with Chicago before last year's 9 with the Canes). 

Edmondson: Won the Cup (22 games last year in winning it, and 27 in the two years before).

Haula: Finals in '17-'18 (plus 25 playoff games with Minnesota over the four years prior).

Nino: 39 playoff games with Minnesota.

Hamilton: 23 games (19 with Boston, 4 with CGY).

Dzingel: 24 games (15 games with OTT and 9 with CBJ.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 5

Probably gonna take a beating for this post, but it is what it is.  I really like JW and I think he had a huge part in changing the culture in Raleigh, and I think he was one hell of a Captain and leader.  I do not think that him coming back mid-season is in the teams best interest.  If he didn't feel strongly enough about his passion for the game and the team that he didn't want to begin the season with them, why should they invite him back into the fold and run the risk of messing up the obvious good chemistry that seems to be happening at this point.  I think it sends the wrong message and someone who has worked their *edit* off all year is going to get sidelined or sent down (possibly claimed on waivers) to give JW the opportunity to play for half a season.  He had his chance and ran it right to the bitter end with his decision.  I wish him all the best in his retirement and very much appreciate his contributions when he was on board.  It should be over and put in the history books as one of the best to play in a Canes jersey.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tightlinez said:

Probably gonna take a beating for this post, but it is what it is.  I really like JW and I think he had a huge part in changing the culture in Raleigh, and I think he was one hell of a Captain and leader.  I do not think that him coming back mid-season is in the teams best interest.  If he didn't feel strongly enough about his passion for the game and the team that he didn't want to begin the season with them, why should they invite him back into the fold and run the risk of messing up the obvious good chemistry that seems to be happening at this point.  I think it sends the wrong message and someone who has worked their *edit* off all year is going to get sidelined or sent down (possibly claimed on waivers) to give JW the opportunity to play for half a season.  He had his chance and ran it right to the bitter end with his decision.  I wish him all the best in his retirement and very much appreciate his contributions when he was on board.  It should be over and put in the history books as one of the best to play in a Canes jersey.

I will not beat you up.  I will agree 200%.  Let's go out and have a drink.  We just have to watch out for the JW fan club goons.  :coollaugh:

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

I agree on Williams needs to go ahead and retire.   We are doing just fine without him and I really do not think that him coming back will either make or break us.   My wife and I met him once at a store in Raleigh and he is the nicest guy.   Very humble man.  That aside I agree with Tightlinez.  I think it sends the wrong message to the leadership of the team.   Oh....our real leader is here thank God.   Not good in my opinion.  My hope would be that he would come back to the team as an assistant coach or be part of the management staff.  Now that I could easily live with.   Love the way this team is playing right now.  

• Like 1

I don’t know where Williams is at this point with pace or fitness but he would be a really cheap bottom 6 addition to the team that can fill in the 2nd line, if needed.

There aren’t any top line rentals left. Kreider and JGP are the next top available rentals. JGP only brings us something new. Due to the lack of options, he’ll be more expensive than he should be.

Seeing that williams brings everything JGP does outside of playing center, imo:

Williams + all our picks & prospects is better than JGP.

JGP isn’t leaving Ottawa, IMO.  He and Duclair are going to be the offensive pieces they rebuild around.  Now, a player on their team that I would LOVE for us to go after via trade would be Mark Borowiecki...and then pair him with Edmundson.  Dude is a hitting MACHINE who can also put up decent points from time to time...and he’ll singlehandedly reduce the crime rates across Raleigh ;)

2 hours ago, Tightlinez said:

Agree 100 %. Either you're in or ya ain't. Not in favor of rentals. 

2 hours ago, Tightlinez said:

No way do I ever "beat" someone up for their opinion, But unlike wxray, my friend and sorry I was not included in that "drink" invitation, I'm going to put a different spin on your view. Doubting his "passion for the game", and then relating that to "his not wanting to begin the season with them", rather than what this implies is selfish, could it be that Justin actually put team over his feelings, as that If he came back HALF MOTIVATED, and flagged midseason, where does that leave the team then. Thus, I see Justin Williams' action as one of consideration, rather than some type of self serving gesture? 

Now, let me go on a brief philosophical rant as relates to the Justin Williams issue. With aging, I've seen how all of us often view issues thru our own bias, it's otherwise called "passion", and unless someone is biomechanical, we all do it. Thus there will be pros and cons to the question of Williams' return. Now, did I like that Justin seemed to leave the team in limbo so to speak, that's an unqualified NO. But my question now is this, which way would have been better, come back to the team internally half-motivated, but going thru the motions, OR step away and let the team evolve while making sure he still feels that passion? I believe the latter is the more honorable way to go about it, and I respect Justin's decision.

59 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

No way do I ever "beat" someone up for their opinion, But unlike wxray, my friend and sorry I was not included in that "drink" invitation, I'm going to put a different spin on your view. Doubting his "passion for the game", and then relating that to "his not wanting to begin the season with them", rather than what this implies is selfish, could it be that Justin actually put team over his feelings, as that If he came back HALF MOTIVATED, and flagged midseason, where does that leave the team then. Thus, I see Justin Williams' action as one of consideration, rather than some type of self serving gesture? 

Now, let me go on a brief philosophical rant as relates to the Justin Williams issue. With aging, I've seen how all of us often view issues thru our own bias, it's otherwise called "passion", and unless someone is biomechanical, we all do it. Thus there will be pros and cons to the question of Williams' return. Now, did I like that Justin seemed to leave the team in limbo so to speak, that's an unqualified NO. But my question now is this, which way would have been better, come back to the team internally half-motivated, but going thru the motions, OR step away and let the team evolve while making sure he still feels that passion? I believe the latter is the more honorable way to go about it, and I respect Justin's decision.

I can certainly understand your point of view, and maybe his perspective was to put the team over his feelings.  I certainly hope that was the case, and from what I know of him and have witnessed you may be correct in your opinion.  I did feel like if that were the case his answer would have been sooner than later but hey, what do I know.  I just follow them on TV.  Appreciate you Kjun, I always enjoy reading your post and perspective on the team.  

• Like 1