The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

8 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Dont forget that the Willy lead Canes were terrible in the first half last season and dispite having the 2nd best record from Jan 1 till then end of the season barely made the playoffs. So while sure the Canes have been inconsistent with Staal wearing the C they have a much better record through 42 games then the Willy lead Canes.

Oh and great leaders do not have to be vocal, not that we know Jordon is quiet in the locker room because none of us are there. But saying they have to be loud to be heard is bull crap

I never once said they have to be loud, so keep your bull crap to yourself. They do however, have to speak up. The Cs and As are the only guys on the ice permitted to talk to the ref about calls under the rules. When, if ever, have you seen Jordan do that? And trust me, you don't have enough fingers (and toes) to count the number of times Justin did. Look around the league and you'll see that other Cs share that trait.

Willy led a team that had never played together. It had lost its top goal scorer, had a new HC, and many, many more roster changes than this one, from the crease on out. He navigated that new team through the gelling process and got it much farther than, I think we'd all admit, any of us believed it'd go in its first year together. Jordan has had two cracks at the C and the results have been middling. 

• Like 1

So I got to thinking, and opening up my little head and wondering what's going on in there.

Here's where I got confused...  Earlier in the year, the Canes were desperately sending guys down, running with an almost short bench, running with short forward corps, etc.  The limit may be 23, but the Canes were running it at 21 or 20.

Now all of the sudden they are not, and they may have room to rotate guys in and out?  I mean, that's great, and there will be room for JW with the only drama being who gets to watch from upstairs.

What happened here to change things?  Am I crazy to remember the apparent roster size desperation earlier? 

Edited by wxray1

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Am I crazy to remember the apparent roster size desperation earlier? 

Using historical and present facts to back up your opinion will land you in hot water on this board.  LOL  (Sarcasm alert)

18 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

So I got to thinking, and opening up my little head and wondering what's going on in there.

Here's where I got confused...  Earlier in the year, the Canes were desperately sending guys down, running with an almost short bench, running with short forward corps, etc.  The limit may be 23, but the Canes were running it at 21 or 20.

Now all of the sudden they are not, and they may have room to rotate guys in and out?  I mean, that's great, and there will be room for JW with the only drama being who gets to watch from upstairs.

What happened here to change things?  Am I crazy to remember the apparent roster size desperation earlier? 

They were trying to save cap space by sending a CLT guy down between games and keeping their rosters short.  Cap numbers are decided more by daily numbers than over annual numbers.

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

They were trying to save cap space by sending a CLT guy down between games and keeping their rosters short.  Cap numbers are decided more by daily numbers than over annual numbers.

So without any full roster change since then, how does JW fit in?  Why is the problem suddenly not a daily issue?

If you're gonna have problems with roster issues, the ones we've acquired over the last few days, are good ones to have. Every player to a man, at least in sparse moments for a few, can perform at NHL level. Barring severe injury, I think it yields us one of the deepest teams going.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I never once said they have to be loud, so keep your bull crap to yourself. They do however, have to speak up. The Cs and As are the only guys on the ice permitted to talk to the ref about calls under the rules. When, if ever, have you seen Jordan do that? And trust me, you don't have enough fingers (and toes) to count the number of times Justin did. Look around the league and you'll see that other Cs share that trait.

Willy led a team that had never played together. It had lost its top goal scorer, had a new HC, and many, many more roster changes than this one, from the crease on out. He navigated that new team through the gelling process and got it much farther than, I think we'd all admit, any of us believed it'd go in its first year together. Jordan has had two cracks at the C and the results have been middling. 

Whatever you want to tell yourself man. Here's some facts

1. Jordan's Canes are much better through 42 games then Willys. 

2. The Metro is tougher this year then last ( it was no cake walk last year)

3. You dont have to chirp to the officials or yell at your guys to lead

4. None of us know what interactions the players have with Jordan off the ice and what he does or doesnt say to them.

5. The whole damn team came to his house for Thanksgiving, seems they kinda like following him.

6. While the inconsistency can be maddening this team is better then last years version.

7. The goaltending has not been as good and there is very little the team C can do to change that.

Ultimately we dont know what effect Jordan has or doesnt has on the teams play, you dislike his numbers and see him as over paid and keep throwing out opinions as facts when again in truth we dont have a clue what type of leadership he brings

24 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

If you're gonna have problems with roster issues, the ones we've acquired over the last few days, are good ones to have. Every player to a man, at least in sparse moments for a few, can perform at NHL level. Barring severe injury, I think it yields us one of the deepest teams going.

That's the thing.  Suddenly it appears there won't be roster problems.  Strange.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

So without any full roster change since then, how does JW fit in?  Why is the problem suddenly not a daily issue?

The cap wasn’t ever a daily issue as far as us staying under the cap. All the moves were directed to driving future space and adding others to the roster, if needed.  We had about 2.2 million in space to start, which would equate to a 4.4 million dollar contract at the deadline.  Conducting all the up and down of checkers players and TVR start on IR, we saved enough to add a 5.5 million contract (2.75 million left) even after adding J Will.  

At this point, we know where the team is and where our players are.  Maximizing the space allowed us to add a great player like J Will for only cap with the ability to add a good goalie, top 6 winger, or top 4 defender to make the team better or cover an injury. Its solid 4D chess by the management team.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

TD said on XM yesterday that we could afford to carry another $4.6 million in cap...more if we don’t have to pay our bonuses, which he WANTS to pay out ;)

Ok.  Cool.  Glad someone can figure this out!  So the early moves were in preparation for this time. 

Not that they aren't troopers, and solid players, but at the far end of the roster, having J Williams means we won't be calling up Gibbons, Luostarinen, Bishop, etc. unless we get at least two injuries up front. On the one hand, you do want to get your yutes some NHL time, on the other hand it shows how incredibly deep we are with pure NHL talent. 

I do hope we find a way to get Goat another look. He now has 17 goals in 24 games for crying out loud, which projects to a 48 goal pace for 82 games. I'm not saying he'll do that in the NHL, but that it should at least get you a look. (He's currently #5 in the AHL in goals/game, and #6 in total goals).

13 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Again, look at the ridiculous March schedule, and tell me that it's not going to be important to have "that guy"to fill in for dinged up players.

The March schedule really registers with me when displayed with the weeks starting on Wednesday. I know, the "regular" calendar display has the same info, but with that shift the 4-in-6's and back-to-backs seem to really jump out at you.  Also, note that 3 of the 4 back-to-backs involve overnight travel.  Gonna be brutal!

146115581_CanesMarch.thumb.jpg.88c4128d6e903070d70f08de3e2b9553.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Not that they aren't troopers, and solid players, but at the far end of the roster, having J Williams means we won't be calling up Gibbons, Luostarinen, Bishop, etc. unless we get at least two injuries up front. On the one hand, you do want to get your yutes some NHL time, on the other hand it shows how incredibly deep we are with pure NHL talent. 

I do hope we find a way to get Goat another look. He now has 17 goals in 24 games for crying out loud, which projects to a 48 goal pace for 82 games. I'm not saying he'll do that in the NHL, but that it should at least get you a look.

Isnt the projected point total multiplying the AHL points by .6? Kilometer/ mile equation.

Edited by gocanes0506

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

Isnt the projected point total multiplying the AHL points by .6? Kilometer/ mile equation.

I've heard something along those lines, but the recent Zykov and Saarela experiences make me tend to shy away from those type projections. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Exactly! The one I saw was .47 for the AHL. That was for points, but if applied to goals it would suggest a 22 goal NHL season is what Goat would be doing in the NHL. Of course the guy that came up with that admitted there was huge variation from player to player. Largely because each player will continue to develop at highly variable rates once in the NHL. It's probably better to roughly gauge the toughness of the league relative to the NHL. 

I do find some relevance though in a guy dominating each level pre NHL. Gauthier put up a ton of goals in Junior hockey which is roughly half the value of AHL points, which is roughly half the value of NHL points. In other words, that the guy went to the twice as hard league and dominated there too, has some predictive value for the next twice as hard league, though clearly not proving it.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Exactly! The one I saw was .47 for the AHL. That was for points, but if applied to goals it would suggest a 22 goal NHL season is what Goat would be doing in the NHL. Of course the guy that came up with that admitted there was huge variation from player to player. Largely because each player will continue to develop at highly variable rates once in the NHL. It's probably better to roughly gauge the toughness of the league relative to the NHL. 

I do find some relevance though in a guy dominating each level pre NHL. Gauthier put up a ton of goals in Junior hockey which is roughly half the value of AHL points, which is roughly half the value of NHL points. In other words, that the guy went to the twice as hard league and dominated there too, has some predictive value for the next twice as hard league, though clearly not proving it.

The term "necessary but not sufficient" springs to mind.

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

For Gauthier to get a chance to meet the point prediction tool, he would need more than 4th line time. He isn’t going to get that, even moreso with Williams’ addition.

4 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

you dislike his numbers and see him as over paid

whatever you want to make up, man.

I've posted numerous times that he brings an essential quality to the team and the game, and that he was never expected to put up huge numbers.

But keep trying to stuff words in my mouth--clearly, it's all you got.

My take on all this is that a shot of JWillie juice is just what this team needs during the dog days of the schedule and in the playoffs.  The trend has been staleness and fatigue and a fresh voice with his creds and his play I expect will pay dividends.

Big time bonus as most have played with him already so an easy integration.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

For Gauthier to get a chance to meet the point prediction tool, he would need more than 4th line time. He isn’t going to get that, even moreso with Williams’ addition.

Generally true. I've posted elsewhere that IMO Gauthier could be the biggest loser from the Williams return. Ultimately though Goat needs to be a top 9 player to make the NHL IMO, and will need to put in at least 20 goals because he doesn't make a ton of plays. 

That said, we have so much offensive depth that one never knows. If Goat ended up replacing say McGinn on a 4th line with Marty and Wallmark, he could do some damage. Not put up 20, but show his potential. 

Ultimately barring injury Goat will have to wait until next season to really stick. 

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The March schedule really registers with me when displayed with the weeks starting on Wednesday. I know, the "regular" calendar display has the same info, but with that shift the 4-in-6's and back-to-backs seem to really jump out at you.  Also, note that 3 of the 4 back-to-backs involve overnight travel.  Gonna be brutal!

This is where wxray sees the wisdom of those early lean games of running a 20 player roster (assuming the idea is correct that is allows expansion to add JW now).  Dang, I've gone from "JW never" to "JW all in" in just a few days.  :)

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Generally true. I've posted elsewhere that IMO Gauthier could be the biggest loser from the Williams return. Ultimately though Goat needs to be a top 9 player to make the NHL IMO, and will need to put in at least 20 goals because he doesn't make a ton of plays.

Mrs. wxray is concerned about the young'uns.  She was part of my "JW never" idea.  However, management was very intentional about rotating them through.  If TD can expand the roster to 23 like a REAL TEAM, and the team suffers an injury (very likely), there's a good chance we'll see the Goat again.

Edited by wxray1

39 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

there's a good chance we'll see the Goat again.

I found one.  image.jpeg.957f254185b876f16ff7bd7cc3ed7dd2.jpeg

• Like 1