Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

Recommended Posts

I have not been in favor of the JW return for several reasons.  BUT, the team seems to be lacking something at this point in the season in my opinion.  Not terrible, but not good either.  The inability to put a team away and hang onto a lead, silly turnovers and bad puck management.  Does it reflect on the team leadership, I don't know.  Can the presence of JW change it, I don't know.  I do know that in order to make the playoffs, changes are going to have to happen and fast.  Listening to the NHL channel on XM today one of the questions was, "is Carolina one of the battleship teams to look out for".  The consensus of the callers, some being from Carolina, was that they were headed that direction but not quite there .  One of the guys on the show actually made the comment that if JW made a difference and was needed to help the team that we were probably in big trouble to begin with.  That being said, I do feel like we are heading in the right direction, that our forward group and scoring abilities have greatly improved. Although our defense and goal tending has taken a step back over last year.  I hope that for whatever reason, JW comes in and gets things back on track and this team starts clicking on all cylinders like they have shown they can do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

 

This is where wxray sees the wisdom of those early lean games of running a 20 player roster (assuming the idea is correct that is allows expansion to add JW now).  Dang, I've gone from "JW never" to "JW all in" in just a few days.  :)

 

 

Mrs. wxray is concerned about the young'uns.  She was part of my "JW never" idea.  However, management was very intentional about rotating them through.  If TD can expand the roster to 23 like a REAL TEAM, and the team suffers an injury (very likely), there's a good chance we'll see the Goat again.

 

I've always felt the idea was to build up cap space to allow for strategic moves further into the season.  Glad to see that the The Committee appears to be playing chess rather than checkers.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tightlinez said:

I have not been in favor of the JW return for several reasons.  BUT, the team seems to be lacking something at this point in the season in my opinion.  Not terrible, but not good either.  The inability to put a team away and hang onto a lead, silly turnovers and bad puck management.  Does it reflect on the team leadership, I don't know.  Can the presence of JW change it, I don't know.  I do know that in order to make the playoffs, changes are going to have to happen and fast.  Listening to the NHL channel on XM today one of the questions was, "is Carolina one of the battleship teams to look out for".  The consensus of the callers, some being from Carolina, was that they were headed that direction but not quite there .  One of the guys on the show actually made the comment that if JW made a difference and was needed to help the team that we were probably in big trouble to begin with.  That being said, I do feel like we are heading in the right direction, that our forward group and scoring abilities have greatly improved. Although our defense and goal tending has taken a step back over last year.  I hope that for whatever reason, JW comes in and gets things back on track and this team starts clicking on all cylinders like they have shown they can do.

 

I caught one minute of that discussion, can you explain what they meant by "battleship team"  thanks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple quotes from Willy yesterday:

 

“Roddy and I, we’ll talk through it,” Williams said of head coach Rod Brind’Amour. “It’s in our hands now. I’m just going to, as I said, work my way back to where I feel comfortable and Roddy feels I’m comfortable to play."

 

“Listen, you can’t put a time on it. Just whenever it happens, it happens. … We’ve got a great forward core and hopefully I can find a hole somewhere.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, hag65 said:

 

I caught one minute of that discussion, can you explain what they meant by "battleship team"  thanks?

They were referring to the teams that bring it day in and day out and could take the Cup.  The teams they were considering to be battleship teams were the likes of Washington, Boston, St. Louis and Colorado was one of them.  To my surprise, the host of the show were not sold on the Canes not being considered that, but weren't completely committed to saying they were.  They were on the fence about it, which would not have been the case 2 years ago in my opinion.  The consensus on the show was that the Canes' lack of physical presence would take it's toll on them in the playoffs against the teams mentioned above.  I find it hard to disagree with their opinions, but it is also nice to be at a point in Raleigh to even get mentions concerning our team cannot be overlooked.

Edited by Tightlinez
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tightlinez said:

To my surprise, the host of the show were not sold on the Canes not being considered that, but weren't completely committed to saying they were.  They were on the fence about it,

This is right in line with my opinion.  As far as the comment about JW being needed to make a difference, that is an unknown at this point.  While physical presence continues to be a concern,  I would not forget we needed this to beat Washington last year.  I am hopeful some lessens were learned then.  Having Necas and Svech a year older can only help in this area.  Should be an exciting rest of the year.  If our goalie tandem can get hot there are no limits. IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just glad some of ya'll aren't getting your wish that a guy who hasn't played in 6 months instantly suits up. Would undercut Roddy's earn your ice time message big time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Just glad some of ya'll aren't getting your wish that a guy who hasn't played in 6 months instantly suits up. Would undercut Roddy's earn your ice time message big time.

I think Willy has earned his ice time. What we dont know is if he is truly in hockey shape. We do know his first few came are going to have measured minutes but if he is ready he deserves ice time. 

 

With that being said by his and Roddys comments he is not quite there yet which is fine by me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derailed75 said:

I think Willy has earned his ice time. What we dont know is if he is truly in hockey shape. We do know his first few came are going to have measured minutes but if he is ready he deserves ice time. 

 

With that being said by his and Roddys comments he is not quite there yet which is fine by me. 

DW said yesterday that JWilly is in physical shape to play, but there’s the learning the play of the team and adjusting to the full game pace...which comes with practices...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I think Willy has earned his ice time.

I am sorry but(IMO) you earn your ice time constantly by performance in games.  Since he has no recent games he could not have earned it.  Its not a legacy thing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tightlinez said:

They were referring to the teams that bring it day in and day out and could take the Cup.  The teams they were considering to be battleship teams were the likes of Washington, Boston, St. Louis and Colorado was one of them.  To my surprise, the host of the show were not sold on the Canes not being considered that, but weren't completely committed to saying they were.  They were on the fence about it, which would not have been the case 2 years ago in my opinion.  The consensus on the show was that the Canes' lack of physical presence would take it's toll on them in the playoffs against the teams mentioned above.  I find it hard to disagree with their opinions, but it is also nice to be at a point in Raleigh to even get mentions concerning our team cannot be overlooked.

 

Maybe I need to edit my signature line (a quote from several years back).

 

". . . a battleship team that has slipped at times despite the fact that it's probably very good. Unless it's not. Which it is. We think." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

This guy disagrees with you about the legacy thing

5D8AD1BA-6E7C-4819-B77B-6DE6770CF3C6.gif

 

I'm of the belief that if Willy had started the season with the team he'd have deservedly started where he left off.  But stepping back in halfway through the season "resets the clock" imo.  And I'd bet that he probably agrees with that, which is why I'm not too concerned with how he'll be received by the team in his comeback.

 

But hats off for the Flounder reference, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

". . . a battleship team that has slipped at times despite the fact that it's probably very good. Unless it's not. Which it is. We think." 

I am not sure exactly what this means but it seems to say "We are on the fence".  Yes...No...Maybe !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, DW sounded like the plan was to work Williams in eventually, but only soon if there's an opening due to injury. It would be best both for him, and team cohesiveness if he practiced with the team for a while, like a guy who has been healthy scratched for awhile if there is no injury. The other thing would be if the team lost a few games or had a very  bad outing and a guy needed the press box or the team needed a shake up. Otherwise best to work him in rather than throw him in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, remkin said:

Yeah, DW sounded like the plan was to work Williams in eventually, but only soon if there's an opening due to injury. It would be best both for him, and team cohesiveness if he practiced with the team for a while, like a guy who has been healthy scratched for awhile if there is no injury. The other thing would be if the team lost a few games or had a very  bad outing and a guy needed the press box or the team needed a shake up. Otherwise best to work him in rather than throw him in.

Eventually  when the time comes  after a few   games  , It  should be McGinn who   gets benched to make room for williams ,   Im  still under the belief that Nino's  game is about to pick up  , and we would all hate to lose out on those points  from him . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

DW said yesterday that JWilly is in physical shape to play, but there’s the learning the play of the team and adjusting to the full game pace...which comes with practices...

I didnt mean that he was out of shape but game shape and being in shape are not the same. Maybe game speed but either way working out and skating can not prepare you for game conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cc said:

I am sorry but(IMO) you earn your ice time constantly by performance in games.  Since he has no recent games he could not have earned it.  Its not a legacy thing.

Im not trying to be argumentative here but with your definition how to you pick game 1 starters, when do you or better yet how does a guy freshly traded to the team get to play? Look we have a need for something more on the ice to secure a playoff spot. In his long career Willy has been a much better player then a lot of guys currently on the roster. Why would you not ease him in when he says hes ready?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't have expected Williams was in "game shape" without some practice time, and he likely will need a few real games.  It sounds to me like the short-term plan is pretty conservative.  Can't wait to see how they actually use him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the Canes have a shut out such as last night, it is easy to wonder why anyone should be removed from the line up.  I can understand that sentiment.  The Canes have 12 forwards who are are performing their roles.  Three young players, Wallmark, Foegele, and Necas each scored their 10th goals last night.  The penalty killing forwards have been good.  IMO Williams may not get into a game for another few weeks, say around Feb 1.  If a forward gets injured in the interim, he will probably play, limited minutes at first.  If no one gets injured, they will likely rotate guys out to make room for him.  Haula may be rotated out to give his knee a rest looking ahead to the playoffs.  McGinn, Martinook, and Nino may be rotated out.  Necas may be rotated out because he may never have played so many games, and there is the post season to follow.  Williams himself may be rotated out for a breather on his 38 year old body.  JW's signing is a windfall for the Canes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be ready to eat my words if JW turns the ship around and keeps the team in the playoffs.  Great first game.  Let's see where this goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'd bump him up with Haula already.

I bet he was pretty gassed skating for 13 minutes.  I would continue taking it one step at a time.  I thought he would be skating with Staal  and maybe Foegele for a while, moving Svechnikov up to the skate with Aho and Turbo.  That way he could get his legs under him, mostly in a defensive mode, before they tried him elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...