The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

Hmmm.  Just got an email from the Canes communication team.  Seems like they are not endorsing the change to the team.  😉

newyear.JPG

I would be in the camp of ship has sailed were it not for one thing. The "no guarantee" that our net front extraordinaire is going to remain healthy for the duration. The nature of knee related on again/off again is that they're usually more severe and more duration IF they resurface continually. Not that Williams would be a comparable role to fill what he does, I could look at it under those circumstances and sitting whoever, as a small measure of low grade insurance policy. I'm also of the mind, that even though they're friends, I don't think Roddy would be allowing the door to be opened unless he was almost 100% sure, that JW's conditioning, willingness to accept whatever role, and the team's balance would transition seamlessly. Too much at stake for him to just be catering to a buddy, and he's not that kind of new school man anyway.

I agree 2ndsacker, Haula is touch and go, and that is a 50 point guy at a minimum (really on a 65 point pace so far). Also as I mentioned in the last couple of lines in my initial post, the fact that Wally is starting to show offense means he can move up, but we still need that 50 plus point production replaced if it came to that and Williams is that if he's in shape.

Also, injuries in the NHL are a fact of life even if Haula manages to play 40 more games, anyone else could be injured, and having that kind of depth, including in the playoffs, can't be bad.

I do think he will be rusty for a while. The NHL eats up very talented players. But J Williams has so many high quality NHL games in the memory bank, I think he'll get up to speed.

• Like 3

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I’m in the ship has sailed corner. The team gave Williams literally until camp opened to make a decision, and then he made a “no decision” decision. So we trade TVR to make finances work and hope one of the Checkers can fill in if someone gets hurt? We sit someone who has spilled his guts all year to fit Williams into the lineup? If that’s McGinn, that’s a 4th line spot, and not likely what Willy is coming back for. So now we sit McGinn and bump Foegele (who is really coming on lately) to make room for Justin. So we are getting rid of/changing the role of 3 players to bring back a 38 year old player who hasn’t played a minute of competitive hockey for over 6 months. I’m as big a fan of Williams as anyone, but the team is doing pretty well without him. For those who criticize Jordan’s leadership so far this year, just remember where Williams’ leadership had us on January 1, 2019. If we had an injury, a la Erik Cole, I agree he’d be the perfect person to plug into the team, but as things stand, I just think we have to churn the roster too much to fit him in. If he does come back, I hope he gets off to a good start, because if he is not producing and several have had their roles changed/diminished, resentment could creep in.

Having said all of that, you just have to trust that Rod and the front office know what they are doing. I’ve assumed all year that carrying only 21 players and reassigning Checkers to Charlotte for 3 days then recalling them was to save cap money for Justin. If he wants to play, I’ll be shocked if he’s not signed the next day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If he does come back, I hope he gets off to a good start, because if he is not producing and several have had their roles changed/diminished, resentment could creep in.

BDC, first, I don't think your opinion is unpopular, there seems to be a fair amount of people in the "ship has sailed" camp. I think that makes this a very interesting discussion because both sides of the argument are solid, and because it's a fairly unique situation, so there's not tons of history to fall back on.

Second, I agree with the part of your post I quoted the most, that is that J Williams will become a divisive distraction if his play hurts the team early and often. Guys do get to play through struggles (see Gardiner) but this is different. And especially if an established Cane has to sit while Williams struggles, that could become an issue for sure. This will be an unpopular call back, but at the very end of his career, Brind'Amour was just not up to speed on the ice, but continued to wear the C. We all remember that Eric took it over, and was not beloved for that, but it took a long time for that to happen and I was convinced that the team had started to tune Brindy out and it was affecting the team. So I do see that as a potential downside.

As I said before, I'mma have to trust The Committee on evaluating Willy's physical condition and the state of the locker room.  Given what I've seen of Willy's personality, I'd guess that any possible locker room disruption might be with Haula (and perhaps Dzingle?) rather than the players that were here last season.  I see Willy as coming in similarly to the way he did 2 years ago, where my sense is that he offered leadership but didn't appear to try to force it in any way.

I will point out that CapFriendly has the Canes currently with just under $3m available in cap space.  And that out of the 40 games played so far, one of Gibbons, Gauthier, Bishop, or Luostarinen have played in 33 of them.  And that we have a brutal schedule in March (lot's of back-to-backs and 3-in-4's).

I do believe that if the Canes are going to tap into Willy as a "free rental" or as injury depth, they need to do it quickly instead of waiting for a situation to develop where it's needed. Regardless of how hard he's currently training, I'm sure it will take a bit for him to get up to NHL speed.

After typing this, I'm going to hop off the fence and say that if he passes muster according to the Committee, I'm for adding him.  And add that I'm glad that we do have a Committee to make that evaluation rather than leaving it up mostly to a Coach and GM. 

• Like 1

My assumed measuring stick:

If Justin gets more guaranteed money then he is a veteran injury filler who provides leadership.  Basically he is a non traded for 4th line rental.

If he gets a big performance bonus, he will play almost everyday and someone sits. A non traded for 3rd line rental.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

This will be an unpopular call back, but at the very end of his career, Brind'Amour was just not up to speed on the ice, but continued to wear the C. We all remember that Eric took it over, and was not beloved for that, but it took a long time for that to happen and I was convinced that the team had started to tune Brindy out and it was affecting the team. So I do see that as a potential downside.

The dumb 💩 decision to strip Rod of the “C” IN-SEASON chapped me big time.  We all knew Rod was coming to the end of his career...he was 39 at that point, but he deserved to wear that C til he called it, NOT that BS stunt that JR pulled!

And I think that JWilly has more potential in his age than Rod did...JWilly was still actively putting up points last season.  Rod slowed down significantly due to his ACL surgery two seasons prior, and was never the same after that.

The more I think about it, the more I’m ok with JWilly returning...almost zero risk, and high reward potential 

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Hmmm.  Just got an email from the Canes communication team.  Seems like they are not endorsing the change to the team.  😉

newyear.JPG

wxray, While that might be true, you CAN read it NEW YEAR, SAME TEAM (? 18-19 or 19-20) because both are the same team??

• Like 1

I trust that will do what’s best for us. Brindy won’t bring him back unless it will help us. I don’t think JW would come back if he didn’t have the gas in the tank to be productive. I think he has too much pride to be a “hanger on too long” type of player. I’m fine with or without him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canes06cup17 said:

I’m fine with or without him. 

I think we all are...in fact, I haven’t seen anyone on either side of the fence say they’ll be irate one way or the other 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I think we all are...in fact, I haven’t seen anyone on either side of the fence say they’ll be irate one way or the other 

Seems like most of the posters here are in the "this ship has sailed" camp.  

This time last year we were following a going nowhere team, and this point forward they played some of the best hockey in the league.  Don't forget that when you suggest JW is "who cares" addition.  There is a half season of regular games left before the start of any playoffs.  Players are going to get hurt.  One just missed a month and is already not practicing between games.  

I was clearly wrong in my prediction that JW would resign and return around January 1.  It is still the right move, so I need a new date, so I will go with Jan 25.

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

The dumb 💩 decision to strip Rod of the “C” IN-SEASON chapped me big time.  We all knew Rod was coming to the end of his career...he was 39 at that point, but he deserved to wear that C til he called it, NOT that BS stunt that JR pulled!

And I think that JWilly has more potential in his age than Rod did...JWilly was still actively putting up points last season.  Rod slowed down significantly due to his ACL surgery two seasons prior, and was never the same after that.

The more I think about it, the more I’m ok with JWilly returning...almost zero risk, and high reward potential 

Well, I gave my thumbs up to this post before I read the last line. I’m okay either way if Willy comes back, but I think it could be a minefield for team morale, and maybe his legacy is greater in Raleigh if he just stays retired.

But on the issue of taking the C from Brind’Amour mid-season and giving it to E. Staal, I couldn’t agree more. Rod’s play fell off a cliff his last year, but I don’t think anyone believes it was for lack of effort on his part. If anyone ever earned the right to wear the C until he retired or gave it up voluntarily, it was Rod Brind’Amour. Ironically, I’ve always thought the awkward way the C was taken from Rod and given to Eric may have had a lot to do with Eric struggling as the team captain, at least in the early years. I don’t think Eric Staal had any role in the ham handed way the captaincy was given to him, and surely at least half the locker room resented it.

1 minute ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well, I gave my thumbs up to this post before I read the last line. I’m okay either way if Willy comes back, but I think it could be a minefield for team morale, and maybe his legacy is greater in Raleigh if he just stays retired.

Considering we have four new players this season and the rest played with him last year and know his character and record, I doubt there will be ANY morale issues with his presence on the team and in the locker room.

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Considering we have four new players this season and the rest played with him last year and know his character and record, I doubt there will be ANY morale issues with his presence on the team and in the locker room.

If he comes back, I hope you are right. But say we trade TVR to make room for his salary, I’m pretty sure TVR has friends on the team that want him to stay. Might not be popular with McGinn or Foegele if their minutes are cut or they end up in the press box, and they probably have guys they are close to as well. If JW comes back and lights things up, those issues go away pretty quick. If he comes back and struggles, I’m not so sure. In the end, the decision, if there is one to make, gets decided by the guy signing the checks and his management team. They haven’t screwed up much so far. 

20 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If he comes back, I hope you are right. But say we trade TVR to make room for his salary, I’m pretty sure TVR has friends on the team that want him to stay. Might not be popular with McGinn or Foegele if their minutes are cut or they end up in the press box, and they probably have guys they are close to as well. If JW comes back and lights things up, those issues go away pretty quick. If he comes back and struggles, I’m not so sure. In the end, the decision, if there is one to make, gets decided by the guy signing the checks and his management team. They haven’t screwed up much so far. 

I completely understand...and I doubt he’ll be traded.  I’d bet that JWilly would rotate with Brock like TVR and Fleury are rotating.

2 minutes ago, cc said:

Just get it over with. It’s a distraction we don’t need.

Agreed...it’s 💩 or get off the pot time 

27 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Who sits?  Williams doesn't kill penalties. From a lineup perspective that move would be a head scratcher for me. 

My $$ would be Brock or DZ

20 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

My $$ would be Brock or DZ

DZ? I doubt it. My vote is Nino.  Williams can provide everything Nino can hopefully without the PIMs.  

SAT

Foegele-Staal-Williams

DHN

McG-Wally-Marty

slide McGinn along side Staal until Williams is game ready. I don’t see who else makes sense.

• Like 1

I love and miss JW but if we do get in injury trouble I more see us moving up a Checker. The Goat has been killing it recently. 

As we've gotten further into the season, from the outside looking in there's no captain hierarchy for this team. Whereas last year JW was very much the captain. Jordan has the C but mainly as a veteran presence to speak to the refs. There are leadership voices throughout the roster now and bringing JW seems like it would change our mojo there. 

Back when I was working I could only wish that I could work half a year.  Great gig if your boss accepts that proposal. 

• Like 3