The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

I knew I shouldn't have brought the Brind'Amour Captaincy issue into it. But the point was not that the move to give it to Staal was good or bad, but that having your C incapable of producing did affect the team, and an ineffective Williams could affect team chemistry, especially if he boots McGinn or another long time Cane to the press box.

Elliot Friedman on XM said he expects it do be a done deal before the end of the weekend. He said that there were issues with the contract that held it up a bit, but thinks that they've been mostly worked out. Given that Forslund and Civ are both putting out the near complete fait accompli vibes, it makes sense that they have gotten very close. I'm not sure John would spill if it weren't pretty much approved. I think this is happening, and soon.

39 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Back when I was working I could only wish that I could work half a year.  Great gig if your boss accepts that proposal. 

True that slap, but I don't think it's for 1/2 a year what with the conditioning that has to be put in, nor do I think any of us "work" as hard physically as these guys do?

Look Guys, each of us has valid points in this debate, but ours are from the "bleacher seats" so to speak. Brindy's is much more in tune with the locker room, and although we collectively know how We would feel in this situation, after working our tails off in September onward, only to be usurped by someone who it APPEARS sat around during those months doing little or nothing (I use the word appears because we really have not kept tabs on JW and he could have been busting it in private somewhere in seclusion), should Justin step in and bring that little extra spark to again put us in position for postseason and beyond, I'm sure all will be forgiven. Also, as many have pointed out, he may be insurance in case we sustain a significant injury to a key player (so far we've seemed to have dodged that bullet). And with respect to the idea of the Goat or anyone else bringing comparable skills to JW, I doubt they have 3 rings to bring into the equation?

For my part, I'm going to remain neutral and let this play out as it will, trusting that a collective decision between Rod and the committee will be for the best of our team. If JW comes back, I'll purchase his jersey and wear it proudly. If not, I have several others I'll sport just as proudly. 

• Like 1

I think it's been a great debate. And I think we're about to find out with our own eyes how his return plays out.

• Like 3

It's time for a decision. Up until now it has been mostly an academic discussion but as we move toward the trade deadline it could be a distraction.

Most teams with a legit shot at the playoffs add a player or two as the season enters the second half. We need another right shot forward. Necas is our only forward that shoots right. JW leadership and Stanley Cup experience are not in question. He doesn't need and I don't expect he will get a letter to be a leader. We can add him without giving up any assets unless we choose to do so. He is 37 so sitting half a season is probable a plus not a minus. He knows the team, the system, the coaches.

Of course we are doing pretty good right now. You could make the case to let this team stay intact and not add any factors that could backfire.

One way or another it is close to the time to settle the months long question of will he or won't he put the sweater back on

• Like 2

Based on the usage of the prospects both in season and previous playoffs, JW is “cheap” insurance policy that will get used if anything else.

• Like 2

Bold prediction: We will see more and more of this going forward. This league is faster than ever, making it increasingly unlikely that guys Willy's age will be able go for a full season and the playoffs to boot. But if guys of his caliber are able to use the first half of the season to maintain/get into NHL shape--a big if, to be sure--save half a season of wear and tear, and then inject their expertise and excitement into both the team and the fan base, I could see it becoming a recurring thing.

I'd bet that Willy has mulled over this scenario a lot longer than just last summer. He's a smart guy and he's been around long enough to have run into older guys who came back and talk to them about the experience, what they'd do differently, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

It's time for a decision. Up until now it has been mostly an academic discussion but as we move toward the trade deadline it could be a distraction.

Most teams with a legit shot at the playoffs add a player or two as the season enters the second half. We need another right shot forward. Necas is our only forward that shoots right. JW leadership and Stanley Cup experience are not in question. He doesn't need and I don't expect he will get a letter to be a leader. We can add him without giving up any assets unless we choose to do so. He is 37 so sitting half a season is probable a plus not a minus. He knows the team, the system, the coaches.

Of course we are doing pretty good right now. You could make the case to let this team stay intact and not add any factors that could backfire.

One way or another it is close to the time to settle the months long question of will he or won't he put the sweater back on

I'm thinking of the old Gretzky quote about skating to where the puck is going to be rather than where it is.  If he's coming back, it needs to be really soon; it won't be practical if something happens a month from now when there might be no doubt that we could use him.  

Another analogy I think about is Ron Francis and what I perceive to be his hesitancy to make moves for fear of making a mistake (I could be wrong about this). 

It comes down to an informed risk / reward calculation, and I have to trust The Committee to make a much more accurate assessment than me, so at the end of the day I'll be happy with whatever decision they make..

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Bold prediction: We will see more and more of this going forward. This league is faster than ever, making it increasingly unlikely that guys Willy's age will be able go for a full season and the playoffs to boot. But if guys of his caliber are able to use the first half of the season to maintain/get into NHL shape--a big if, to be sure--save half a season of wear and tear, and then inject their expertise and excitement into both the team and the fan base, I could see it becoming a recurring thing.

I'd bet that Willy has mulled over this scenario a lot longer than just last summer. He's a smart guy and he's been around long enough to have run into older guys who came back and talk to them about the experience, what they'd do differently, etc.

As far as I remember you like conspiracy theories :P but such a scenarios/trends could be a serious thing. 

1 minute ago, Caniac514 said:

As far as I remember you like conspiracy theories :P but such a scenarios/trends could be a serious thing. 

They may even be ambassador approved!  Maybe that's why the ambassador was so ticked, he didn't think of this first.  :)

• Like 2

And to add some fuel to the fire, the quote from ESPN placed in the article on the Canes page about new Power Rankings (ICYMI):

"The inevitable midseason return of 38-year-old Justin Williams, the former captain, could be the missing piece that makes this team into a true contender. Just listen to Willy."

Wow. Lots of folks who were singing JW's praises 8 or 9 months ago—especially during the playoffs—have a very different tune now. How JW can go from a hero to a zero in such a short time is difficult to understand.

If the last few weeks have taught us anything, it's that the Canes are still subject to the "no-show-up-itis" that has plagued us for the last several years (albeit not quite as frequently). That's where leadership matters. And we've got a huge hill to climb between now and April. That's also where leadership matters.

Just because we're in a playoff spot now is no guarantee we'll be there when the dust settles. Our perch is still precarious. I'd just as soon have a guy who was instrumental in getting us there last year be with us again this year.

Assuming, of course, he's conditioned to play.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Wow. Lots of folks who were singing JW's praises 8 or 9 months ago—especially during the playoffs—have a very different tune now. How JW can go from a hero to a zero in such a short time is difficult to understand.

Nope.  That's not it.  It is not about "zero."   Try again.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Nope.  That's not it.  It is not about "zero."   Try again.

Well, if you don't want him on the team now, I'd say that constitutes a present zero. You want his current contribution as a player to be zilch, nada, nothing. That is the sense in which I was using "zero." 

52 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Nobody is running over to William's house to kick his dog, so let's don't go down that road.. 

Lot's of folks, to use your terminology, just seem to take it at face value that he is going to help the team without considering anything else.  It's not last year, the team is not last year's team. 

I think it's a mistake to depend too much on what he can bring after being away from hockey for so long.  And again, William's doesn't kill penalties.  WHO IS GOING TO SIT?  Without knowing any of this it's a legit concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

could be the missing piece that makes this team into a true contender.

News Flash ESPN Einstein-  If you have been watching we already ARE a contendah.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Nobody is running over to William's house to kick his dog, so let's don't go down that road.. 

Lot's of folks, to use your terminology, just seem to take it at face value that he is going to help the team without considering anything else.  It's not last year, the team is not last year's team. 

I think it's a mistake to depend too much on what he can bring after being away from hockey for so long.  And again, William's doesn't kill penalties.  WHO IS GOING TO SIT?  Without knowing any of this it's a legit concern.

I'm not saying that those who'd rather JW not return also want to kick his dog, so please don't put words in my mouth. What I am saying is that last season JW was the second coming of Brindy to many, but now—just three months into this season—a significant number don't want him back. Forgive me if I find that a little puzzling.

Time passed since JW last played in the NHL: 6.5 months. Time JW has not played this season: 3 months. You obviously disagree, but I don't consider that being away from hockey "for so long."

So what that JW doesn't kill penalties? That's not his role. What he brings is more leadership and point scoring. And sure, this year's team is not last year's team—but is this year's team so much different and so much better that there's no longer any room for last year's captain and third-leading scorer? Should he stay away because Ned or McGinn or TVR will help us more in a playoff run? 

I get the concern about JW's age and conditioning. But so long as Brindy and the Committee think he's in shape to contribute, I'm fine with it. 

Edited by spyglass88

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

Well, if you don't want him on the team now, I'd say that constitutes a present zero. You want his current contribution as a player to be zilch, nada, nothing. That is the sense in which I was using "zero." 

Because he is an unproven entity.............hence the wait and see comments.

6 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

just three months into this season

JW is not three months into this season................he never started it.  So there is nothing except past performance of an older guy who has questioned his desire to return.  This team has accomplished a remarkable turn around, no apologies for being reluctant to try experimental tweaking.   I will say this-it is entirely possible this was all planned a long time ago.  All the cloak and dagger is just that.

Edited by cc

10 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

I'm not saying that those who'd rather JW not return also want to kick his dog, so please don't put words in my mouth.

Pot calling kettle black.  You keep insisting that anyone not supporting JW coming back considers him a zero.  Or "zilch, nada, nothing" as you emphatically reiterated.  So stop with the words in the mouth thing. 

I'd rather not reiterate what cc, myself and others have said.   It is right above, and it isn't about zilch, zero, nada.  Stop it.  Stop it.  JW is a great player.   But it is bigger than that.   We get it, so just stop putting words in my mouth.

Edited by wxray1

Over almost two seasons now, Roddy has been able to make a lot of calls on what the right thing to do is and in many heretofore unprecedented and odd decisions to raise the level of play and rebound it when heading the wrong way. I would even venture to say in this instance, he has been afforded the loudest voice on the committee regarding this. I would also guess from his own experience at the tail end of his playing days, he has been the first to warn in JW's ear what physical down falls to be weary of. Not to mention the physical regimen that Roddy expects of everyone. If he thinks JW can contribute and is ready(within a few games of ready), I fully expect he is.

• Like 1

Maybe we'll be a bit luckier going forward when it comes to injuries, but to date the Canes have needed a Checker forward for just over 80% or their games. Beyond whatever injuries open up a forward spot, I wouldn't be adverse to rotating "maintenance games off" for whatever forward could most benefit from it. My impression is that throughout the season most players are playing "dinged" a good portion of the time, especially as the year progresses (I'll defer to the many on here who may be better informed on that front than I).    All dependent on The Committees positive risk / reward evaluation, of course.

Here's something I've been thinking about given the Willy speculation.  Take a look at our March schedule below (I've rearranged the days to better illustrate the game flow).   We basically have four straight weeks of 4 games in six days,  That's a tough grind!  I'd love to hear how much Bill Burniston and Brindy (as much from from an ex players perspective as from a coach's) think we might benefit if we had the depth to do the following: give most of the players a "preservation day off" on one of the 4 Fri-Sat back-to-backs during the month, even if they're not necessarily hurt at the time. The idea would be to prophylactically reduce injuries and boost a players performance for the rest of the games down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Don't know how feasible that would be, especially if we're fighting for a playoff spot.  It certainly would be a "Committee" move, i.e. outside the box and counter to traditional hockey thinking.

1633444288_CanesMarch.thumb.jpg.e1c14a91f1783246b1ca0c1d26e8f58a.jpg

• Like 2