The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

give most of the players a "preservation day off" on one of the 4 Fri-Sat back-to-backs during the month, even if they're not necessarily hurt at the time. 

That is a great point.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Pot calling kettle black.  You keep insisting that anyone not supporting JW coming back considers him a zero.  Or "zilch, nada, nothing" as you emphatically reiterated.  So stop with the words in the mouth thing. 

I'd rather not reiterate what cc, myself and others have said.   It is right above, and it isn't about zilch, zero, nada.  Stop it.  Stop it.  JW is a great player.  We get it, so just stop putting words in my mouth.

Sorry, but as long as you keep misrepresenting what I say, I will not stop it. When I said "zero" it was a figure of speech was referring to JW not playing on this year's team. "Hero" = glad he played a lot last year; "zero" = he shouldn't play at all (zero) this year. I made that clear in a follow up post. Yet you overreacted and still are claiming (falsely) that I was accusing those who don't want him to return of thinking that JW is now personally a "zero" in terms of this skill and leadership as a hockey player. I said nothing of the sort. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you that JW is (present tense) a great player. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't anticipate there being that much of a fall off in his play since just last May.  That's why I find somewhat puzzling all the "that ship has sailed" talk. Why shouldn't we want a "great player" like JW playing for us?

The chemistry and "who should sit?" are legit concerns, but Roddy's in the best position to judge that.  

J.W. can; Come play, stay home, retire, be a coach, be a scout, be in the press box or be whatever... imo, what is best for this team is make a _amn decision and get on with it..... time for this team to get with it.....

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Maybe we'll be a bit luckier going forward when it comes to injuries, but to date the Canes have needed a Checker forward for just over 80% or their games.

The idea would be to prophylactically reduce injuries and boost a players performance for the rest of the games down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Don't know how feasible that would be, especially if we're fighting for a playoff spot.  It certainly would be a "Committee" move, i.e. outside the box and counter to traditional hockey thinking.

Nice post, Lake.  Good points.  And if it comes to pass, then having "third wheels" around won't be a negative at all.  Assuming it goes down like this.

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

What I am saying is that last season JW was the second coming of Brindy to many,

Actually he was that to me (and others) back when we made the boneheaded decision to trade him. Which is why I think your characterization of those questioning this move as calling him a "zero" is over the top, spy.

I think it's perfectly legit to ask whether it's right that a 38-year-old who limped into the off-season gets a regular slot, and if so, whom you sit.

I've been a Willy fan since he came up in Philly, and love that he'll be available. But I'll love it even more if he's the 13th forward we dress occasionally for a different look, and to give someone a night off at a time of year when they'll benefit from it.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Here's something I've been thinking about given the Willy speculation.  Take a look at our March schedule below (I've rearranged the days to better illustrate the game flow).   We basically have four straight weeks of 4 games in six days,  That's a tough grind!  I'd love to hear how much Bill Burniston and Brindy (as much from from an ex players perspective as from a coach's) think we might benefit if we had the depth to do the following: give most of the players a "preservation day off" on one of the 4 Fri-Sat back-to-backs during the month, even if they're not necessarily hurt at the time. The idea would be to prophylactically reduce injuries and boost a players performance for the rest of the games down the stretch and into the playoffs.  Don't know how feasible that would be, especially if we're fighting for a playoff spot.  It certainly would be a "Committee" move, i.e. outside the box and counter to traditional hockey thinking.

1633444288_CanesMarch.thumb.jpg.e1c14a91f1783246b1ca0c1d26e8f58a.jpg

That is a good take Lake. I've noted the March schedule, and the Williams vs probably injuries, but not put them together. 

I think a maintenance game off makes great sense. I don't think its traditional, but if Brindy and TD are anything it's willing to look at non traditional ideas. I think if guys knew ahead of time that was what it was and they follow through on it, and rotated that day off, then no one in the media will be able to claim that guys are being benched. Heck, I'd bring up a yute and rotate two guys out some nights. That schedule really is nuts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

The idea would be to prophylactically reduce injuries and boost a players performance for the rest of the games down the stretch and into the playoffs.

This is the best word used on the board this year.  :lol:  I'm down with this idea.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The idea would be to prophylactically reduce injuries and boost a players performance for the rest of the games down the stretch and into the playoffs.  

1633444288_CanesMarch.thumb.jpg.e1c14a91f1783246b1ca0c1d26e8f58a.jpg

Like the prophylactically approach so much I felt something stir.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

True that slap, but I don't think it's for 1/2 a year what with the conditioning that has to be put in, nor do I think any of us "work" as hard physically as these guys do?

I hear ya but he basically told us he couldn't be ready physically or mentally for a full season. Players need to stay in shape all year for the most part these days and be ready for pre season. Coming in near the all star break to me is half a season. If anyone expects him to sign and hit the ground running in a game situation, that is unlikely. Semi-retired players are like a box of chocolates. Ya never know what you are going to get. How much practice time is required before he is ready to go. Remember there is no preseason or practice games for JW to iron out the wrinkles, its live games in the middle of a playoff battle schedule. The best scenario would be for him to go to Charlotte for a few games to get him in a live game environment.I have stated before I'm fine with 4th line minutes to start to evaluate, but am a little concerned that wont be the case. I like Lake's thought of rotating players where possible and of course trust the brain trust to make the right call. I agree with others that it is time to put this to rest one way or another. 

Edited by slapshot02

I don't think that there are any Canes supporters on this board who would not have loved to see JW sign for one final season last summer.  More than any single player, he was instrumental in leading a young team on a long drive from the 5 yard line to the end zone with a winning streak that commenced this time last year.

Having JW return with half of the regular season spent and the Canes having continued to play well is a Win/Win for the team, him, and the younger players.  I can't imagine there is one player on the team that does not want JW on their side for a playoff run.  I am befuddled by any Canes fan who would not want him back.  

Who sits will work itself out.  This is what coaches are for.  They will probably look over opponents and decide who goes out that night.  I have heard McGinn and Nino suggested, and maybe those are two to choose from.  McGinn is a regular penalty killer, so maybe Nino to start since his play has diminished since coming over.  Also, Necas may wear down at some point;  I doubt he has played this many games against this level of competition, so a night off here and there would be good.

Looking forward to JW's return.

2 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I am befuddled by any Canes fan who would not want him back.  

I completely understand why some don’t want him back...that was me until last week’s losing streak.  And they’re not wrong with their assertion that he’s dragged the team and the fan base through months of indecision.  At this point, what difference does it make?  If he comes back, great!  If not, oh well.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm tired of the speculation and waiting for nothing, frankly.  Sign him on the team, or not.  Or just do something else, like keep battling. 

Dadgum.

I get it...it was like waiting on the dragons during the first season of GOT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I am befuddled by any Canes fan who would not want him back.

It’s simple. This is not last year, JW has shown and admitted hesitation and we been sitting on this egg waiting for it to hatch too long .

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I think we will know something definite by Monday. I have a signed Williams picture, so I would love to see him on the ice.

I bet it’s done this weekend

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I completely understand why some don’t want him back...that was me until last week’s losing streak.  And they’re not wrong with their assertion that he’s dragged the team and the fan base through months of indecision.  At this point, what difference does it make?  If he comes back, great!  If not, oh well.  

I don't think it is a situation of dragging on for 3 months of indecision.

I think it was a single, clear decision that he come back at around the 3 month mark.

I don't think we should assume it has been a "maybe I will, maybe I won't" back and forth seesaw from day to day....which would be frustrating.

I think the decision or "plan" was decided upon long ago and there had been no flip-flopping but just waiting for the right time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

I don't think it is a situation of dragging on for 3 months of indecision.

I think it was a single, clear decision that he come back at around the 3 month mark.

I don't think we should assume it has been a "maybe I will, maybe I won't" back and forth seesaw from day to day....which would be frustrating.

I think the decision or "plan" was decided upon long ago and there had been no flip-flopping but just waiting for the right time.

I'm agreeing with this.  And if true, it should be well known by the team and "baked into" their psyche.  Hence, all the "will he, or won't he" consternation we have do not apply to the team.

A gentleman's agreement like this is pretty rare and unique only because of the characters involved.

What's not to like about this possible move? This is just like picking up a player at the trade deadline, but even better! You spend no assets(other than cash), you know the player, almost everyone in the locker room knows the player, & you add much needed veteran depth at the time that your schedule gets crazy.

It's not like the Canes are going to go out & trade for someone else at the deadline. I agree that if JW comes back I think the Canes, & him have known it for a while. Very easy to pay him a base salary plus bonuses that will count on next year's cap.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, AWACSooner said:

Considering we have four new players this season and the rest played with him last year and know his character and record, I doubt there will be ANY morale issues with his presence on the team and in the locker room.

But, if this team has bonded as much as they say they have, and one of your buddies has to ride the pine, sit in the press box or get shipped out due to someone coming back mid season, you do not see where that could present some opportunities for sore a$$e$ and resentment?  It will make mine sore and I am not on the bench. 

I think this is going to implode on Management if they allow it to happen.  And I hope that I look like a fool at the end of this thing for making the statements that I have and not being in favor of this move WHATSOEVER!!