The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

These guys are professionals, and they understand the dynamic. I said it before and I'll say it again, if RB wants him back; that's the end of the story. If the coach was clearly concerned that Williams return would potentially disrupt the team, he wouldn't bring him back! Yes, somebody has to sit out while Williams is in the lineup, but that only strengthens our depth. Injuries are going to occur, and another NHL player on the roster ready to go is an asset, and a more seamless addition to the lineup than a call up from CLT.

• Like 3

I hope he has 2 goals and 5 assists his first week back in the lineup and sparks a comeback in a game we're trailing in. Then this is, like most issues, just board fodder.

• Like 3

This is all much ado about nothing. These guys are all professionals. Un-wad panties in 3...2..1. JWill will come back, or not come back, and the team will react and perform appropriately. This dude commands so much respect (as his resume dictates), and I'm sure the guys are ecstatic about trying to make another cup run with him. I seriously doubt he forgot how to be clutch and be a leader in a 6 month time frame. I for one could care less if Craig McNothingBurger has to ride the pine if it means taking another run at Lord Stanley. 

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 3

So with what Friedman said and Forslund and Sarah Civ, it seems that something is about to happen, and that something is Williams signing with the Canes. 

I'm going to predict that they announce it today at the game, though they could do it Saturday at the Tampa Game. I'm picking tonight because supposedly the main sticking point had to do with getting bonuses next year, and supposedly that has been settled. I'm also picking tonight because we're playing Washington. But mostly I'm picking tonight because I'm going to be there and want it to happen that way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2ndsacker said:

I hope he has 2 goals and 5 assists his first week back in the lineup and sparks a comeback in a game we're trailing in. Then this is, like most issues, just board fodder.

JW does not have to score at all.  Getting him back is to have an on the ice leader to show the young talent how to keep their heads up when down 3-2 in the playoffs and facing a must win game.

Regardless of any initial waffling on Willy's part, if he's close to NHL ready it stands to reason that he's been strongly committed to the come back for awhile.  You don't get into NHL shape easily or over a weekend.  Gotta believe the team hasn't been as much in the dark as we have. 

Just a perspective, not an argument "for",   I'm still mostly:popcorn:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Regardless of initial waffling on Willy's part, if he's close to NHL ready it stands to reason that he's been strongly committed to the come back for awhile.  You don't get into NHL shape easily or over a weekend.  Gotta believe the team hasn't been as much in the dark as we have. 

Just a perspective, not an argument "for",   I'm still mostly:popcorn:

Reading between the lines and listening to Freidman, Williams has been training for around a month while negotiating a comeback. As mentioned above, Freidman says that they were hung up over bonuses for Williams. My guess is that the committee is not as thrilled about hurting next year's cap as we seem to be. I still think they want room to make moves and sign guys, (including maybe Haula) and with the cap not expected to go up much, even with Marleau money off, they want as much cap space as possible. But Williams, surely wanted some bonus cash. 

This suggests that his comeback was happening, it was just a matter of getting to a deal with the Canes. Supposedly they kicked the tires on a couple of other teams (and there is still a long shot he could bolt), but it was probably a negotiating thing. 

Anyways, Freidman's certainty combined with Forslund sounding pretty certain, makes me think this is basically about done.

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I fully expect JWilly to sign his contract tonight at the arena, and then man the siren.  Dundon likes to make a splash.

That would be both awesome and funny as hell 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Reading between the lines and listening to Freidman, Williams has been training for around a month while negotiating a comeback. As mentioned above, Freidman says that they were hung up over bonuses for Williams. My guess is that the committee is not as thrilled about hurting next year's cap as we seem to be. I still think they want room to make moves and sign guys, (including maybe Haula) and with the cap not expected to go up much, even with Marleau money off, they want as much cap space as possible. But Williams, surely wanted some bonus cash. 

This suggests that his comeback was happening, it was just a matter of getting to a deal with the Canes. Supposedly they kicked the tires on a couple of other teams (and there is still a long shot he could bolt), but it was probably a negotiating thing. 

Anyways, Freidman's certainty combined with Forslund sounding pretty certain, makes me think this is basically about done.

We just ticked over $3m in available cap space (it projects to be $7m at the TD).  I wonder if the two parties might have in part been waiting for a mutually acceptable amount of "base salary" cap space to clear?  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I fully expect JWilly to sign his contract tonight at the arena, and then man the siren.  Dundon likes to make a splash.

Either that or be the center of the surge, thus assuring a win.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if the two parties might have in part been waiting for a mutually acceptable amount of "base salary" cap space to clear?  

It'll be all about bonuses linked to performance I bet.  Rightly so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

We just ticked over $3m in available cap space (it projects to be $7m at the TD).  I wonder if the two parties might have in part been waiting for a mutually acceptable amount of "base salary" cap space to clear?  

44 minutes ago, cc said:

It'll be all about bonuses linked to performance I bet.  Rightly so.

Why not both?  I could see both parties agreeing to $3m base salary (which didn't clear until today) and then negotiating the bonuses from there. Or, are you saying that you think $3m base is too high?

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

That makes sense.  I'm OK with that.

I'm not OK with him not playing and leading the Storm Surge, as others are suggesting on the gameday page.  He's gonna have to play to lead the surge.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

I think we will know something definite by Monday. I have a signed Williams picture, so I would love to see him on the ice.

I have an autographed official NHL Rod Brind’Amour picture (from when the Canes gave such things to STHs). Can we bring him back on the ice too? 

• Like 1

My comment on JWilly is while I have misgivings about how it may work out if he comes back now, once it is done, and many in the know are hinting it already is, I’ll support it 100%. I’m sure JW knows what is required physically to play and he wouldn’t come back if he was not certain he was ready. Also, if he really wants to play, he could go to a team we are competing with if we don’t sign him, and nobody wants to see that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I have an autographed official NHL Rod Brind’Amour picture (from when the Canes gave such things to STHs). Can we bring him back on the ice too? 

Post of the decade!  Make it happen!

2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

My comment on JWilly is while I have misgivings about how it may work out if he comes back now, once it is done, and many in the know are hinting it already is, I’ll support it 100%. I’m sure JW knows what is required physically to play and he wouldn’t come back if he was not certain he was ready. Also, if he really wants to play, he could go to a team we are competing with if we don’t sign him, and nobody wants to see that. 

Yeah, I can't envision Willy cheating the process; I expect him to come back in "Brindy" shape.  The question will be the amount of time it takes to get back to NHL speed.  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Or maybe he's dressed and just skates to the bench :)

19 hours ago, wxray1 said:

That makes sense.  I'm OK with that.

I'm not OK with him not playing and leading the Storm Surge, as others are suggesting on the gameday page.  He's gonna have to play to lead the surge.

If directed at my comment wxray, I wasn't proposing that JW not play, but rather the opposite. No matter, still no signing?

On another note, just curious, since Friedman "suggested that he'd been training for over a month", wonder where that has been? Must have been super secret rink, either the or in his basement, for no one to have seen/reported?

28 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

If directed at my comment wxray, I wasn't proposing that JW not play, but rather the opposite. No matter, still no signing?

Hi Kjun.  What I meant was it sounded like people thought he'd be signed at the game, an announcement would occur, and somehow he'd come out after the game and join the storm surge?  Seems wrong to me to have a player who hasn't played any game, and specifically THAT game join in.  Once he starts playing, sure, join and even lead the surge.

Maybe I'm sensitive.  I had a career in technology, and saw my fair share of "top guns" and "rock stars" waltz onto tight teams and disrupt the living crap out of them.  Without exception, these people got the job via friends in high places, i.e. the equivalent of Brindy.  Now, they were not bad performers, however, they tended to suck up the oxygen: actually, the salary budget.  Nothing like having sweated bullets on a difficult project for 2 years only to have a Rock Star come onto the team, make a few pronouncements, then jet off to some "important" meeting in a nice place like Nice, France, all while telling us what to do.  Then salary adjustment time comes around and the boss says: "Sorry, no budget for raises this year."    This happened on one of my jobs and the guy sitting next to me was super kind, extremely smart, and a key part of our team.  When the Rock Star joined and took up the oxygen, that same guy had some sort of switch flip in him.  He started swearing like I've never heard anyone swear before.  He lasted a month and found a different job in a new company.  It really damaged our team.

So, yeah, if someone's gonna join my surge, they better have shed some blood with me first.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So trade Gardiner for a pick, play TVR or Bean or another Charlotte D-man and use the $4M saved for RFA discussions...cause we’re gonna have to pay Svech soon.  Addition by subtraction.

TVR may not be putting up points, but his on ice presence isn’t negative like Gardiner’s is.

Wait, why are we discussing this in a

J-Willy thread?

Because while we no longer need the cap space to bring Willy on board we dont want to carry two healthy scratches do we? My though is we stop rotating the D and rotate some of the 4th liners with Willy to ease him back into game shape. That leads to the convenient dump Gardiner though line.

Edited by Derailed75

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

It is taking a lot of patience waiting for him to get his act together. 

How may more chances do we give him to get his act together, though?  It’s indirectly costing us wins!

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I don't really know. It helps that we're still mostly winning

“Mostly winning” isn’t cutting it in the Metro!  He has directly cost us games and chances to gain ground in the standings and I’m sick of it.