The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Williams coming back!!!! 1 year 700k and 1.3 million in performance bonus

22 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

“Mostly winning” isn’t cutting it in the Metro!  He has directly cost us games and chances to gain ground in the standings and I’m sick of it.  

Then call Waddell and Brindy and share that with them?

Perhaps we hear something tonight after 6:30 PM ET? Williams could announce his return as soon as this Saturday night as the NHL’s hometown hockey show is set to be in Williams hometown Cobourg,

24 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Perhaps we hear something tonight after 6:30 PM ET? Williams could announce his return as soon as this Saturday night as the NHL’s hometown hockey show is set to be in Williams hometown Cobourg,

Thank you for posting something topic related.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

And here we go again, this indecision is frustrating. !st I thought it could be last night, now tonight by 6:30 PM, next it'll be by next weekend, then the annual break?? As someone, I think AWACS said previously, lets **** or get ff the pot for Pete's sake?

I know, lets do an over/under on who will report it 1st. That could be fun.

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 4

Agree it’s time to **** or get off the pot. Uncertainty is not helping the team. As far as I’m concerned, a press release would do. Not fair to the guys who have been playing to make a latecomer, I don’t care who he is, the big story. Just my .02.

If not announced today than Elliot Friedman loses a lot of credibility with his rumor announcements and I believe nothing about Williams returning.  So far hasn't it only been Friedman that announced anything and the rest of the NHL ran with it?   

I'm not sure if Forslund used Friedman as his source because he was pretty sure this was happening soon also.

But if he's right, then tonight's the night! Those in attendance might get an announcement. Or heck, it's still only 10:30, maybe announce before the game. 

It is an early game, so if they wanted to go low key, they could announce it later tonight or tomorrow. Who knows, maybe they announce tonight if it's a win, and tomorrow if it's a loss. 

I think Friedman couched it in "probably happens before the end of the weekend". If it happens tomorrow or the next day, I still credit his info. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'm not sure if Forslund used Friedman as his source because he was pretty sure this was happening soon also.

But if he's right, then tonight's the night! Those in attendance might get an announcement. Or heck, it's still only 10:30, maybe announce before the game. 

It is an early game, so if they wanted to go low key, they could announce it later tonight or tomorrow. Who knows, maybe they announce tonight if it's a win, and tomorrow if it's a loss. 

I think Friedman couched it in "probably happens before the end of the weekend". If it happens tomorrow or the next day, I still credit his info. 

Right on, If Forslund is talking about it than it's happening.  John would never spread a rumor unless he knew it was true.  I mean guys like Roddy, J. Staal, Forslund probably keep in touch with J. Williams on the regular and have known this is happening for a while.  

So, the "JW comes back rumor" heated up when they got back from the successful road trip.

Funny that that team started their current tailspin at the same time.  They are 2-5 since that trip, and since the rumor went nuclear.

It is probably just a coincidence.  Or is it?  Is he already getting in some heads? 

Alternatively, one could say The Committee saw weaknesses which are now being realized, and put in motion the call back of JW to help stop bleeding.

We'll never know, but I'm just sayin'

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

As I posted in the game day thread, I am changing my tune on JW coming back. The team is so inconsistent. I’m not saying they don’t have leaders, but adding Willy to the mix should be a plus if he is truly in shape and ready to play. Brock can take his 5 goals and 9 points to the press box, and as others have noted, we will be in better shape if we have an injury or just need to give guys a maintenance day. I don’t know enough about Friedman to evaluate his credibility, but Forsllund is close enough to Rod and the team that I don’t think he mentions it if it is not pretty certain. Maybe a presser tomorrow?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wxray1 said:

It is probably just a coincidence.  Or is it?  Is he already getting in some heads? 

A valid question. Considering how much the "rumor" has gotten into our heads, I think it is safe to say that all the players are also aware of it and have at least given some thought to possible implications. I doubt the rumor had any influence on our latest losses though, if any, and was simply the lingering result of an adrenalin crash after a fantastic road trip followed by a disappointing free-for-all against Toronto and being owned again, as usual, by the Rags.

I see no shame in losing to the Caps and Tampa but our lack of focus and overall performance in each of the first two periods is concerning. Coaching staffs and team leaders of good teams will find a way to overcome that and won't tolerate more of it without consequences. I hope the Canes are one of them. 

• Like 1

Oh, will he go to the prom with us?  Please?  Who else would he go to the prom with?  The prom is coming up!  I hope he makes a decision soon.

I swear, this drama is like high school all over again, and the diva rules all since all eyes are on them.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Oh, will he go to the prom with us?  Please?  Who else would he go to the prom with?  The prom is coming up!  I hope he makes a decision soon.

I swear, this drama is like high school all over again, and the diva rules all since all eyes are on them.

Twitterverse= High School on line

• Like 2

I hope a deadline came with the final offer.

Is he looking at the offer and realizing he's just happier being retired or is some other team muddying things up with a better offer. Who knows

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I hope a deadline came with the final offer.

Is he looking at the offer and realizing he's just happier being retired or is some other team muddying things up with a better offer. Who knows

Well- If he plays us against the CAPS and then signs there I will burn all his crap.

2 hours ago, cc said:

Well- If he plays us against the CAPS and then signs there I will burn all his crap.

Caps, Bruins and Lightning are rumored to try to lure him.

I think he's got more class then the Caps and Bruins knowing he'd ruin his legacy here. But gosh the frickin thought of it just flips your stomach instantly.

The longer this drags on, the more the opinion peg moves towards “absurdly selfish;” and if he signs elsewhere, his legacy here will be tarnished.

• Like 2

So not a final offer? I'd laugh if this wasn't becoming annoying. Is the final negotiation how to get him his C back?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Is the final negotiation how to get him his C back?

I’d be ok with...err, no comment

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Is the final negotiation how to get him his C back?

🤣🤣🤣 I don't think he would be bother how (he can just sound a requirement), but I picture the ceremony: at the nearest pregame, Staal rips off the C from his chest and solemnly presents it to JWilly, kneeling; the excited home crowd cheers loudly.

53 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

So not a final offer? I'd laugh if this wasn't becoming annoying. Is the final negotiation how to get him his C back?

Or, maybe he's asking for his own private jet?  Or a 40% ownership stake in the team? [do I need the  :sarcasm: emoji?]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

The longer this drags on, the more the opinion peg moves towards “absurdly selfish;” and if he signs elsewhere, his legacy here will be tarnished.

If he just cares about money he can go play for a team that actually needs him. If he wants to finish his career with the Canes, sign a team-friendly deal and get it over with. I know RBA wants his bestie back, but I don't see how the on and off ice upheaval caused by his contract negotiations and eventual return is helping the team maintain their tenuous grasp on a playoff spot.