The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Leaves, 23 December

1 minute ago, Whaler1 said:

Any more calming presence than our first 5 minutes would have been a total laughing stock blowout. To me, we didn't lose it in the third but in the first when we neglected to show up with our game faces on and ready to beat the Leafs when the game started. Besides, we lost our fair share of games under JWilly too and I doubt he would have had any impact on our guys guys losing sticks, whiffing on pucks, missing assignents and our D not helping with the scoring.   

Valid, but there just hasn’t been any “come on boys, settle down and let’s take it one shift at a time.”  Our letters today were practically non existent 

I hate to say it but every team has game like this throughout the year.  Unfortunately, we came out on the wrong end of it.  What stings really bad is we lost the game after coming back from a 3 goal deficit and having 2 two goal leads BUT I kinda expected us to lose after we trailed 3-0 anyway and was pleasantly surprised we came back from 3-0 down so in a way I won't lose any sleep over this.  It'd be different if we had a 3-0 lead and lost.

We do have to stop blowing leads although this was our first loss of the season when leading after 2 periods (we were 15-0-0 before today).  But all streaks come to an end.

Good teams do not blow two goal leads, especially twice in the same game, BUT as I mentioned earlier we were down 3-0 to start so with a start like that I was expecting us to lose...and we did.  I just hated the way we did it.

The players need to sweep this under the rug and have a better game in NY.  We have Metro division opponents coming up.  Time to play better vs them.  Despite the loss to Toronto we're still 9-4 vs the Atlantic this season.

Look on the bright side:  If we didn't spot them three we win the game 6-5.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

11 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Any more calming presence than our first 5 minutes would have been a total laughing stock blowout. To me, we didn't lose it in the third but in the first when we neglected to show up with our game faces on and ready to beat the Leafs when the game started.

Agree. 

14 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I am GUTTED which is the total opposite of chuffed ☹️ Wish Brindy had called his timeout at 6-5. Oh well, onto 2020.

Slow your roll baby, we have 3 games left in 2019

Starting to think this group suffers from a severe case of hubris when they get that fast, highlight reel, spectacular thing going. The hard work ethic vanishes. 2 and 3 goal leads vanish. Great exhibition of the skill to score the 5 unanswered, then its skating around acting like they can't be beaten. They better watch some NHL hockey this year, and get their arrogant heads out of their keisters. All the skill in the world will never replace the base line of strong hockey, and that is still WORK. Just ask TB. Or Roddy about now. He needs to chew their 4$$ all the way back to Raleigh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Starting to think this group suffers from a severe case of hubris when they get that fast, highlight reel, spectacular thing going. The hard work ethic vanishes. 2 and 3 goal leads vanish. Great exhibition of the skill to score the 5 unanswered, then its skating around acting like they can't be beaten. They better watch some NHL hockey this year, and get their arrogant heads out of their keisters. All the skill in the world will never replace the base line of strong hockey, and that is still WORK. Just ask TB. Or Roddy about now. He needs to chew their 4$$ all the way back to Raleigh.

I agree.  I've been seeing this team blow too many 2 goal leads this year (CBJ, Philly and this game 2x) come to mind.  All ended up in losses.

Ugly game  over all  , neither team wanted to play smart defensive hockey and it showed .   i suspect  the canes defense is feeling really bad about this one  just to see it slip away when coming back .   i dont think  any coach in the world could of changed the results of todays game  since both teams played the way they did today .  hopefully   this will be a stinging reminder for the canes  to stay focused and play smart and work hard  despite the score  on board . 

That was a big let down, but the Leafs are a highly skilled team. Sometimes, you just have to give credit where credit is due. The real test will be to see how the team bounces back against the Rangers.

I enjoyed the game. Maybe I shouldn't because of the result but how often do you see an epic comeback and an epic fail in the same game. I admit at times it was like watching a ECHL game than an NHL game with plenty of goals to go around. The Haula line was fun to watch. The defense was not. I think Brindy said it when he pointed out some players but not all showed up ready to play. This was more of jeez what just happened moment than a woe is us moment.

The toughest part I think is that the team now has to gnaw on this loss for three days. Some doubt has to be seeping into players minds. Time to reset.

It won't spoil the holiday for me. I hope it won't for any of you. Happy Christmas.

• Like 1

Considering how they have played the last 7 games with the traveling, I would imagine they ran out of gas physically and mentally in the 3rd period.  I can certainly understand why, they have had a grind for a while now.  I don't think it is time to panic just yet.  3 days off, the boys get much needed rest and come back and start a new run of wins.  Gotta love the Haula line and what they started.  I think we see a different team come next game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tightlinez said:

Considering how they have played the last 7 games with the traveling, I would imagine they ran out of gas physically and mentally in the 3rd period.  I can certainly understand why, they have had a grind for a while now.  I don't think it is time to panic just yet.  3 days off, the boys get much needed rest and come back and start a new run of wins.  Gotta love the Haula line and what they started.  I think we see a different team come next game.

The Friday game involves same day travel, courtesy of the CBA.  So if travel bothers them, they should just forfeit now.  OK, OK, I kid.

The team needs to punch through some of the excuses if they want to get to an elite level.  Beating the Rags would certainly be a good step as MSG has been brutal to this team through history.  (20-45-5 record, with a few ties thrown in during old school rules)

16 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The team needs to punch through some of the excuses if they want to get to an elite level.  Beating the Rags would certainly be a good step as MSG has been brutal to this team through history.  (20-45-5 record, with a few ties thrown in during old school rules)

I’m not liking our chances of a bounce back since we all know that the Rags will trot out the Swedish Walrus Cane killer known as King Henrik...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OBXer said:

I enjoyed the game. Maybe I shouldn't because of the result but how often do you see an epic comeback and an epic fail in the same game. I admit at times it was like watching a ECHL game than an NHL game with plenty of goals to go around. The Haula line was fun to watch. The defense was not. I think Brindy said it when he pointed out some players but not all showed up ready to play. This was more of jeez what just happened moment than a woe is us moment.

The toughest part I think is that the team now has to gnaw on this loss for three days. Some doubt has to be seeping into players minds. Time to reset.

It won't spoil the holiday for me. I hope it won't for any of you. Happy Christmas.

I hope it sticks in their gut only to have them come out tougher against the King. This one was a stinger due to them climbing the mountain and within reach of the summit only to fall hard off a cliff.

Edited by slapshot02

This loss is on Rod Brind'Amour, no one else. The team mailed it in to start, and the moment they'd battled back and got a two-goal lead, headed right back to the freakin' post office.

Finish that game like you should and you shatter Toronto's confidence when they play us for the rest of the season. Failing to finish as miserably as we did means we'll now be the ones half-expecting to be embarrassed next time.

Part of every coach's job is making sure guys know the difference between righteous swagger and skating around out there with big heads. Clearly, this one has some work to do on that with this group. 

• Like 1