The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

IIHF Tourney wjc 2020

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Drayson Bowman ,  Zach Boychuck  ,  Zac Dalpe  , just to name a few . 

You forgot Canes LEGEND Ryan Murphy

• Like 1

The vast majority of draft picks and prospects never have much of an NHL career. Every team, even the vaunted drafting years of Detroit are full of guys who didn't pan out. It is very hard to show causation with playing in the AHL vs. a guy just never was good enough. And the longer a guy is in the AHL the same point remains. Is the AHL ruining him, or is he just not good enough to begin with. The fact that none of the guys on that list went on to do much of anything anywhere else suggest to me that they just weren't as good as we hoped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Drayson Bowman ,  Zach Boychuck  ,  Zac Dalpe  , just to name a few . 

Are we under the assumption they had a career to start with?  Or are we just saying that it was Charlotte that ruined them? 

it’s laughable you choose those three who are one of many poster children for JR’s run of turrible draft picks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Are we under the assumption they had a career to start with?  Or are we just saying that it was Charlotte that ruined them? 

it’s laughable you choose those three who are one of many poster children for JR’s run of turrible draft picks.

And he omitted the most obvious of JR's busts...

23 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

You wanted examples of  players who were thought to be good  but their development   was hindered .  There is no pleasing  people like you then .     

We have no idea that their development was hindered. You are making as much of an assumption as I am about them.  Seeing that JR had a bad drafting record leading up to 2009, my assumption seems a little more likely.

It's an interesting topic, and debate away, but it's probably unprovable due to selection and probably other biases. Bowman was a third rounder with less than 10% chance of playing 100 NHL games. But he ended up playing 179 NHL games. Dalpe was a mid second rounder with a 1/4 chance overall. Yet he played 141 NHL games and played as recently as last year. We've been spoiled with a couple of hits in the second round lately (Faulk, Aho) but the overall odds for second rounders is 25% get to 200 NHL games. 

The argument could be made well that Dalpe and Bowman got 320 combined NHL games because of their AHL development. That's my take anyway.

The clearly special talents, like Aho, Svech, etc. don't tend to get much if any AHL time because they're elite. Does anyone really think they'd stink now if they'd have put a year in the AHL? They'd be great either way.

But the reverse argument could be made for Lindholm and even Hanifin, who probably could have used a year in the AHL, and might have found their NHL game even sooner if they had done that. I think both of them would have ended up better sooner if they had.

But since no one does both paths and compares, who knows for sure? It makes sense intuitively though that there would be a lot of guys who would benefit from a stepwise approach getting time to work on things in the AHL before hitting the NHL. I still think that's the case for most guys.

So Bokk and Puistola ended up with very good tourney's in terms of production. 

Bokk #2 in goals with 6G in 7games, and #11 in points with 8 in 7.

Puistola #4 in goals with 5G in 7 games and #11 in points with 8 in 7 (tied with Bokk ironically).

• Like 1

NHL.com article “What we learned from the WJC 2020” talked about Bokk and put “St. Louis Blues” next to his name. This stuff happens way too often to be coincidence, someone needs to get their *edit* together.

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

NHL.com article “What we learned from the WJC 2020” talked about Bokk and put “St. Louis Blues” next to his name. This stuff happens way too often to be coincidence, someone needs to get their *edit* together.

Was it  in  the sense  that they were merely  referring  to Bokk   being drafted by St. Louis    ?   or was it  out of mistake of who owns his rights  ?

I know gocanes I was answering the question above, that’s my point is that every year writers make mistakes like this, too many to be a coincidence. 

Another thing, since I’m guessing it’s pure laziness I often see us listed as “Calgary”, sometimes with a Flames logo.

Edited by Kyrule

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

I know gocanes I was answering the question above, that’s my point is that every year writers make mistakes like this, too many to be a coincidence. 

Another thing, since I’m guessing it’s pure laziness I often see us listed as “Calgary”, sometimes with a Flames logo.

My bad....i’ll leave now.

Edited by gocanes0506