The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Capitals @ Hurricanes Dec 28 7PM

18 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Looks like a good crowd got an entertaining game tonight at PNC.

Game sheet says attendance was 18,680, a sell out.  Tripp indicated late in the broadcast all the games on this homestand are expected to sell out...which is impressive.

Caniacs, don't forget there is a game at Capital One early next month.  Get your tix, bring your white,red, and black, fill up your gas tanks and don't leave me hangin' 😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2ndsacker said:

Pathetic excuses for humans who have a hand in controlling the outcomes of a billion dollar industry.

I wouldn’t go that bad...but this is getting horrendously evident that they’re failing at their jobs 

7 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

The time has come for the league to challenge their union on every aspect of training, hockey IQ, and the process by which the interpretation of rules is communicated and handed down. They are worse than ever and for the same reasons night after night, and I watch many games with no rooting interest. Pathetic excuses for humans who have a hand in controlling the outcomes of a billion dollar industry.

While it could be better it's no where near as bad as the NFL. They need some training but over are one of the leagues as far as officiating 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Game sheet says attendance was 18,680, a sell out.  Tripp indicated late in the broadcast all the games on this homestand are expected to sell out...which is impressive.

How quickly things change when you have an owner willing to win

• Like 4

This team baffles me. They absolutely play a different game against the best teams.  Frequently lay eggs against teams they should beat.  

its frustrating and awesome to see it against the best at the same time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

This team baffles me. They absolutely play a different game against the best teams.  Frequently lay eggs against teams they should beat.  

its frustrating and awesome to see it against the best at the same time.

Here’s hoping they figure it out and put it together in this home stand 

10 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

The time has come for the league to challenge their union on every aspect of training, hockey IQ, and the process by which the interpretation of rules is communicated and handed down. They are worse than ever and for the same reasons night after night, and I watch many games with no rooting interest. Pathetic excuses for humans who have a hand in controlling the outcomes of a billion dollar industry.

As a fan I typically give the refs a break and they always say the bad calls even out over the course of the year. The Canes got a few breaks last night as well but the Caps non calls of horse collars and goonish elbows were to evident to miss. The Caps also had a nice 9.5 dive called against Fogs.  The last two seasons the interpretation of the rules seems to be amiss. I'd  like to see the refs do brief huddles if one or more refs view the call differently from what they saw. It always seems that the majority of bad calls lead to a goal which can change the outcome of the game so why not get it right by consensus? The calls even out during the year? IDK, as an old timer I am becoming less tolerant of bad calls overall and admit I'm becoming more biased on calls against the Jerks. Is this how conspiracy theories start?

Edited by slapshot02

58 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

As a fan I typically give the refs a break

I always have too until the last season or two as we watch it continue to deteriorate. I see less what I would call bias toward the jerks and just plain incompetence and committing the cardinal sin of officiation(what it looked like), that like you said, just seems more times than not to affect the direction, flow and ultimately the outcomes of games. Talk about conspiracy, I think they've made corporate level decision to have special teams decide as many games as possible. All teams do at points benefit, but that doesn't reduce the amount it takes away from great games. They like to say well, it's the fastest game and all that making it difficult. Then provide on ice authority, and not just occasional asked opinion, to view the fast game from more angles and depth than just a man at either end of play. Tripping is so overused(called)and abused by diving, and how many times do we all view the puck crossing blue first, then is contested within a foot or two and it becomes "automatic" almost to blow the whistle, as if a simple contesting of the puck sped up the skaters, when clearly no one crossed early in front of the puck. It provides them easy interpretation rather than actually having to make a judgement determination. And the review of offsides on goals from 45 seconds earlier when often the player has no involvement in a scoring play has reached the point of absurdity. I just think it's time the league addressed some of these issues publicly to the people who support their sport. We do have some amount of investment in their industry, as do all sports fans, and it's time they recognize it. And y'all will be glad to hear this. I'm done ranting about how pitiful it is. LOL

Edited by 2ndsacker

It’s nice to get that taste of winning back. Ovenchicken was so dramatic on the Staal penalty. Svech left him in the dust on the EN goal. 🤣 I liked the way every time they would score our boys got another one as if to say “not tonight Craps”. The icing on the cake was all the Crap fans who attended left with a sad face. Sure hope they stuck around for Thor. 😉 

On a side note the Clemson game was epic and I’m hoping for a competitive national championship. 

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

As a fan I typically give the refs a break and they always say the bad calls even out over the course of the year. The Canes got a few breaks last night as well but the Caps non calls of horse collars and goonish elbows were to evident to miss. The Caps also had a nice 9.5 dive called against Fogs.  The last two seasons the interpretation of the rules seems to be amiss. I'd  like to see the refs do brief huddles if one or more refs view the call differently from what they saw. It always seems that the majority of bad calls lead to a goal which can change the outcome of the game so why not get it right by consensus? The calls even out during the year? IDK, as an old timer I am becoming less tolerant of bad calls overall and admit I'm becoming more biased on calls against the Jerks. Is this how conspiracy theories start?

Canes went to ECF and got one game on national television. Do you think there is a league bias as to who they want in the playoffs?

• Like 1

I know there is a lot of stink about the refs.  We cant worry about it.  Crying about it wont buy us any better luck with the guys in stripes.  Some of our woes are self-inflicted.  Yes, sometimes we have to beat the refs too but so do other teams, and we have seen our share of games served on a ref's platter.  We'll get through it.

12 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

While it could be better it's no where near as bad as the NFL. They need some training but over are one of the leagues as far as officiating 

I think Forslund hit the nail on the head the other night when he said the second ref has actually made things worse. Now every call creates a freakin' consultation, and why the linesmen are involved at all I have no idea. I don't care what they may have seen or think they saw, and the ref shouldn't either.

Outside of icing, offside, and breaking up fights, the linesmen should be uninvolved. If one ref can't do the job with well-established (and scrupulously adhered-to) rules for when a call is subject to video review, a second ref is just going to further muddy the waters, and I think we're seeing that play out pretty much every night these days, somewhere in the league.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

I don't care who does it, or if the they get suspended for the rest of the year, someone needs to take a run at Ovi and take his head off.

13 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Just so long as Svech doesn’t drop the gloves with him... 😜

13 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Since Ovi thought it was cool to skate by and deliver an elbow to Foegle while he was down on the ice, then it should be perfectly fine for one of our players to just skate right on up onto Ovi and deliver our own elbow right square onto his jaw - send him to the locker room for the rest of the night.

So, after I left last night in severe anger, I did watch most of the game.  I saw Svech undress Ovi right when they pulled the goalie and get the easy goal. 

In my mind, that was fantastic retaliation for all the shenanigans.  Very legal too.  Man, I'm getting P.O.-d again just thinking about all that cheap stuff!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

But 3 out of 3 is really good day 😎

Well since I knew OU was gonna get throttled cause we have no defense...

In summary, the Canes "made their own luck."   Someone posted a meme about that a few games ago.  It was a hell of mountain to climb given the diving and whatnot.

The Caps really rely on that PP, don't they?  We normally think of Ovi and his roosting place there on the left circle, but there are others.  Oshi is 10th in the league in PPG and 50% of his goals come from the PP.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, remkin said:

My only hope is that we seem to find a way to bring the complete game vs the best teams. So I going with that.

Of course the downside is that we play down to the lesser teams, but the fact that there is no team in this league that we can't play up to can be key in the playoffs when all of the teams are at least good. The fact that we can get to this kind of game routinely vs the best teams in the league indicates the upside for this team. 

I'm going post something about the total production of this team in the other area, but I want to highlight two guys from this game, that if they keep it up give us otherworldly depth: Foegele and Wallmark.

Foegele I take some pride in, since I've been on his NHL potential for a long time, really his first appearance in the yute's camp. Wallmark? Only after he lit up the AHL, and even after that, while I've always allowed for his skill to develop, I've also had reservations about whether he'd get there. For Wallmark it's a first flash, but it sure looks like he's getting there. At some point in the game I think it was Tripp basically said it's getting close to the time to basically make Wallmark the 2-3C. He didn't use that term, but something about giving him more offensive wingers and making Staal (who he mentioned is not putting up points) to the "checking" center. It will be interesting to see if Rod does that, because as good of a coach as he is, he really really likes Staal. And with Haula back, dress it up on the line up sheet as much as you like, that makes Staal the 4th line center.

Foegele is now on a 40 point trajectory for the season. He had a 3 point, +4 night against the best team in the league (he has always been a guy who likes playing the best teams). He has 4 goals and 10 points in his last 11 games. He can easily finish with 20 goals and 50 points. Given everything else he does, and where he is on our depth chart, that is pretty pretty good. Given the way he came on at the end of last year and the playoffs, predicting Foegele would have a good year was really not that hard.

But Wallmark? Wallmark has quieter skill, and as the 3rd, often 4th line center, he has a harder track to putting up points. And yet, he has really heated up right along with Foegele. Wallmark's recent point spree has pushed him to a 38 point 17 goal pace, but he's been a ppg for 10 games now, so it is pretty easy to see that easily breaking 40 points and 20 goals. That would be top block for a 3rd line center. 

My main point is that these are two guys that we hoped would produce, but are closer to the bottom of the depth chart. If you're lower end forwards are putting up 20G and 40 plus points, that is pretty insane depth.

Get to this sort of game during our upcoming home dominant schedule, and we could make a move up the board.

• Like 3

OK clearly I have some free time and feel like posting. I'm post night shift, so just sitting here a while is about all I'm good for.

I am going to post a big, near mid season points/goals projection which I think you'll find interesting in many places, but one thing I wanted to post separately. 

TVR has been a really nice addition to this team. And it is not directly his fault at all since his actual addition to the team had little to do with this issue, but clearly TVR has been the guy who sits to make room for Fleury. I really like TVR as a bottom pair guy. But it is, IMO, far past time to get Hayden Fleury some consistent ice time. I've been on this rant along with a few others for a while now, so here is TVR, Fleury, and for good measure, Gardiner's projected stat line if they played all 82 games (+/- is held constant for this).

Fleury: 8 goals, 20 points, -4

TVR: 0 goals, 10 points, -7

Gardiner: 4 goals, 17 points, -19

• Like 1

OK, it's not quite mid season, but close enough. Here is a list of each player's projected production in goals and points for a full 82 games. Since all players are currently active, it gives a pretty good idea overall of the production potential on a nightly basis for this team. And it's a LOT of production. We are currently #5 in goals scored and #9 in goals/game. Most of the guys have played all 39 games, or very close to it. Really only Marty and Haula's stats are over a smaller N value, but still 20 and 24 games. I think Marty has more upside and Haula will come down a bit on goals, but anyways here it is. D men are bold to set them off. The list is by points, but a couple of guys would jump up if goals were weighted. 

Projected points from games played to a full season:

Svechnikov:  36G/80P

Teravainen:  15G/80P

Hamilton: 27G/76P

Aho: 46G/73P

Haula: 41G/61P

Necas: 21G/52P (rookie)

Dzingel: 13G/48P

Nino: 10G/42P

Slavin: 8G/42 P

Foegele: 17G/40P

Wallmark: 17G/39P

Staal: 10G/31P

Marty: 7G/30P

Pesce: 8G/25P

Edmundson: 6g/21P

Fleury: 8G/20P

Gardiner: 4G/17P

TVR: 0G/10P

Mostly I'll let the list speak for itself on this post. But one point: we have 11 guys projected to hit 40 points or better (I bumped Wallmark up one point since he's been hot as heck, he should hit 40). If I get really bored even more, I might look at every team to see how many have this, but I'm pretty sure it's not many, and could even be just us. We also have 4 guys near a ppg, and 3 guys near 40 goals rate, so it's not just depth.