The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

All Star Game.

1 hour ago, cc said:

I am sorry but I see AS games as snooze fests for all sports. 

Difference between the NFL and the NHL is that the NFL is smart enough to play their useless AS game after the season's over so everyone can safely ignore it.  They don't shut the freaking season down to make time for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Difference between the NFL and the NHL is that the NFL is smart enough to play their useless AS game after the season's over so everyone can safely ignore it.  They don't shut the freaking season down to make time for it.

Well, most of the players get their CBA vacation.  Gotta happen sometime.

8 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'd like it to happen as part of pre-season. Great way to announce that hockey's back, and the festival atmosphere and (lack of) intensity seems like the right fit for that time of year. Maybe make it the game awarded as part of Kraft Hockeyville, and alternate it between the U.S and Canada.

• Like 1

That’s an interesting idea to have the All-Star Game as part of the season’s start, the league should explore the pros and cons of that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

That’s an interesting idea to have the All-Star Game as part of the season’s start, the league should explore the pros and cons of that.

I don't know of another sport doing it that way.

I'd also like them to move the tournament back to 4v4, preferably for all of each game, but at least for the first half. There's just too much open ice in 3v3, and it showed. Guys were starting to look gassed by the end of their games, and even the fans in the arena looked bored stiff by the end of the first half.  

10 hours ago, cc said:

The only comparison I can make is watching award shows. I gave them up quite awhile ago.

I'm right there with you cc, and aside from the 1st 2 years after I began to enjoy the sport, cynic that I've become, the break in action for 7-10 days is excruciatingly painful. The only values I see in this farcical show, billed as The All Star Game, is that it allows the host city to show off its pride, and I suppose the players enjoy brief relaxation. So, in my eyes, those are the pros.

The cons start with the illusion that those elected are "all stars", and we all know that to be false both by the election method of a popularity contest, as well as our sole representative for a few years was Justin Faulk. I know that pointing that out will bring some wrath to me for stating that, and not that I don't think Faulk was a good player, but All Star?

Then there's the skills portion which is cleaver, and outcomes are interesting, and I guess these are designed to allow some insight into individual athletic abilities. But in my mind, this is the equivalent of the dreaded "shoot out" portion of tied game, thus the anthisisis of a team sport.

Then, The Game, what can I say? In all of my bias against the ASG, I recognize that I'm the ultimate "homer" who truly enjoys watching My Team. I further realize that because of that, one could question whether I am truly a fan of the sport, but so be it.

Turned it off after the first 1/2 period.

3 on 3 is exciting in the real world.  In the no-D, no hit world, it is not really a game.

I don't know if anything can save it because they are not really playing.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

... The only values I see in this farcical show, billed as The All Star Game, is that it allows the host city to show off its pride, and I suppose the players enjoy brief relaxation. So, in my eyes, those are the pros.

One of my favorite hockey-related memories is during the 2011 All Star Game in Raleigh when Mrs. Storm and I served as volunteers and got to take in a lot of everything during our off time.  The City of Raleigh and the team really did a super job hosting that weekend.  Our best gig as volunteers is when we got Stanley Cup duty.  I was the guy standing near the Cup and was the volunteer telling folks when it was their turn to go up for Cup photos.  It was great chatting with the fans from all over North America and the excitement they had, especially the kids, when it was their turn to get with the Cup.  Mrs. Storm was moderating a queue in that same area, but she mostly was with ”Cup Keeper” Phil Pritchard for those that wanted a photo with him.  She was able to have some cool conversations with him about his job as Stanley Cup keeper and some of the interesting experiences he’s had.  Those are the kind of things that make the All Star weekend a great “event”.

Does that make the All Star game a great “game”?  No, it is not a game, it is at best an exhibition, a friendly, or maybe a facsimile is a better term.  Does anybody really want or expect to see “real” hockey?  Hard hits, cross checks, diving to block shots, fights...?  If you do, well, this ‘game’ is not and never will be for you.  But as an event to celebrate hockey especially for the host city and the fans that go, it is generally a winner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Turned it off after the first 1/2 period.

3 on 3 is exciting in the real world.  In the no-D, no hit world, it is not really a game.

I don't know if anything can save it because they are not really playing.

That last part is endemic to the All Star game no matter the format. IMO back when it was 5 on 5 it was even worse to watch the low intensity, no defense skate in the park. At least with the 3 on 3 you can see some dangles and toe drags and fancy stickwork that while still not game-real seems slightly less out of place than watching that same thing 5 on 5. 

But yes, the idea of an All Star game in a contact sport has always diluted the game farther from it's form than in non contact games. That said, no one's playing much D in NBA All star games. Still it's more evident in hockey when the announcers are stunned by and off sides call or joke about the one hit being registered as the 17th hit of all time. 

I find the 3 on 3 watchable. But fully agree that it is devoid of the excitement of even a single real 3 on 3 regular season OT. I would point out though that there is very little hitting in regular season 3 on 3 with all that ice. So it's a bit closer to the real thing than 5 on 5. The thing that makes it less watchable to me is the obvious step slow and casual stride nature of the ASG. They are clearly going about 75% on offense and 50% on D. 

As you mention though, I doubt that will ever change, so at least IMO the 3 on 3 is the best option. But that's just me. At least the NHL is willing to mix things up. I was able to somehow sneak in at the convention center in Raleigh to witness the captains pick their teams live. Didn't stick with that, but it was interesting at least for a little while. 

But the real take home for me is that the All Star game is really interesting once. When it's in your home town and you have tickets. So I wait for another 30 years....

1 hour ago, remkin said:

That last part is endemic to the All Star game no matter the format. IMO back when it was 5 on 5 it was even worse to watch the low intensity, no defense skate in the park. At least with the 3 on 3 you can see some dangles and toe drags and fancy stickwork that while still not game-real seems slightly less out of place than watching that same thing 5 on 5.

OK, that's a good point.  Might as well make it 3 on 3.  Agree.

I guess grumpy old wxray is coming through because of fond memories from my childhood.  We baseball crazy kids used to talk in long anticipation of the baseball ASG.  Besides playing the World Series in our mind, we definitely played the ASG too. 

We'd go to the Cub's game and get a stack of those punch cards and vote our favorite players, always NL, never AL because we didn't know any AL players being that there was no inter-league play.  We took our votes seriously, not just voting for Cubs players.

And then the game.  It was an actual game.  Of course, the Pete Rose hit on Ray Fosse is legendary.  But I'm not necessarily talking about that.  Pitchers pitched, players played.  The pitching today reminds me of how the President signs bills with 40 pens per signature.

Anyway, times change.  Baseball is still probably the most true to the game, but that's because there isn't a lot of contact.  The other 3?  Forget about it.  I think the ProBowl is happening right now?  Does anyone care?

Maybe kids today still watch the ASG of their favorite sport like we did.  Maybe we get old and take too many red pills and see the truth of what it really is.   I guess we might as well keep the NHL ASG because of the CBA imposed break.  I like the way they are doing it now by shouldering the team break on the ASG either side.  It was better than previous years where teams got a random week off and then came back to the hell of playing a team on a streak.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

At least it's not blue pills? Haha

True story: my friend was going through customs and had a bunch of Naproxen Sodium (NSAID).  They are blue pills.  He explained to the custom guy it was an OTC pain killer, and sorry he took them out of the original package.  The customs agent looked at him and his wife, winked a few times, and said: "Sure buddy.  Enjoy your trip!"

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

I will say this about this All Star break, at least when our team returns, the opponent will have been off for the same length of time as us and not have had the opportunity to have a game under their belt?

Something that would be interesting to like at, I wonder if injuries go up just a tad after this what 10 day break? Does anyone know off hand when the guys get back out on the ice for practice?

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I will say this about this All Star break, at least when our team returns, the opponent will have been off for the same length of time as us and not have had the opportunity to have a game under their belt?

Yes.  They made an attempt to match up teams on this break.  For instance, the teams playing tomorrow all got an early start to the All Star break (while teams like the Canes were still playing).  There are some exceptions, but most of those are of "cold" teams meeting another team who is on the second of a back to back.  I don't think they have instances of a team playing a well paced 2 or more games meeting a cold team like happened a few seasons ago.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

But the real take home for me is that the All Star game is really interesting once. When it's in your home town and you have tickets. So I wait for another 30 years....

Yeah, exactly, and why I didn't tune in. :lol:

• Like 1

I must have missed some details on Ovechkin - he was suspended for sitting out All-Star games.

Is appearance in ASG mandatory and NHL can punish players? 😮

Edited by Caniac514

9 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

I must have missed some details on Ovechkin - he was suspended for sitting out All-Star games.

Is appearance in ASG mandatory and NHL can punish players? 😮

If they skip for non medical reasons they get suspended for a game.

• Like 1