The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Canes vs Caps, January 3, 2020, 7:30 PNC, Caps try again

th?id=OIP.JQ9nnPjgw4UHAcKR1tR5cQAAAA&pid VS th?id=OIP.trJIVNTcL7pfbS09KRk9FwHaFj&pid

CAROLINA HURRICANES                         Washington Capitals

(24-14-2)                                                 (27-9-5)

PNC, 7:30 PM 

So, the Caps will try again. So far this year we're 2-0 vs the best team in the NHL, and they can't be thrilled about that, especially given what we did to them in round 1 of the playoffs last year. I have to think that they will be highly motivated. They've also been on a bit of a rough patch (for them), going 1-3 in their last 4 and losing two in row including the game in Raleigh. Their coach is throwing the back-up goalie at us, Samsonov. On the one hand it might be a way to get the team up, saying "you have to win this, not the goalie". On the other hand Samsonov has been the better goalie with a 10-2 record and a much better save % at .918. And we seem to like to make backups look better. So not a bad move probably.

The Canes seem to have tightened their game up. They better tonight. They will need to stay defensively disciplined, and try to limit the penalties at least a little. Unlike last game the Caps will have Tom Wilson prowling around out there. 

I'm attending and will be watching for the Justin Williams announcement. That would fire the crowd up. I could happen.

It goes without saying this would be a big win so I won't say it. These teams really match up pretty well. We are 12-6-0 at home, and have a +24 goal diff. They are 16-5-1 on the road, and have a +24 goal diff. Quotes by some of the Caps players come off like they know they're supposed to give respect, but they still can't quite believe we keep beating them. Lets make that keep happening. 

Completely Bizarre Stat of the Day:  Major categories: Goals for/Game, Goals against/game, PP, PK. The Canes are exactly #8 in all 4 categories. 8-8-8-8. So their ranking in points %......#7. 

Goals for/game: Canes #8, Caps #5// Goals against/game: Canes #8, Caps #10// PP: Canes #8, Caps #11//

PK: Canes #8, Caps #3. 

One thing for sure, this team gets up for big games and fears no team. As always, I want to see a storm surge. 

OH WAIT! Imagine if they win and the surge is lead by Justin Williams? How cool would that be? 

Go Canes! Oh and go to NHL.com and vote for Turbo.

• Like 1

Attending today.  Last two games I attended were considered the two worst home games of the year.  Imagine that.  I started off strong though, so there's hope to return to that.

• Like 1

I don't have a good feeling about this one.  It's kind of like the college basketball "it's tough to beat the same team 3 times in a year" principle.  But on the other hand, we have our experience with the Rags, so here's hoping we continue our streak.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remkin said:

OH WAIT! Imagine if they win and the surge is lead by Justin Williams? How cool would that be?

Great minds think alike rem? I promise I hadn't read this when I posted similarly on the Williams thread. Wouldn't that be cool though?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't have a good feeling about this one.  It's kind of like the college basketball "it's tough to beat the same team 3 times in a year" principle.  But on the other hand, we have our experience with the Rags, so here's hoping we continue our streak.. 

Well, Craps swept us regular season last year...

Brindy, " I think when you play a team like this, everyone kinda knows they better be on point or it's gonna be a tough night."

Brindy on game day.

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Staal-Foegele
Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Dzingel-Haula-Necas
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Edmundson

Goalies

Mrazek

CapitalsPR ✔ @CapitalsPR CAPS TODAY: Expected to start tonight against Carolina, Ilya Samsonov is trying to become the second goaltender in NHL history to win each of his first eight starts on the road in his career.

21 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

We need to play a physical game but stay out of the penalty box. Let's hope the refs don't let Ovi and Co. get away with a lot of cheap shots.

They did last week...you expect anything to change?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Not cool.  So let me get this straight.  A guy who can't make up his mind and wants to keep his options open, suddenly waltzes in, gets to go to the head of the line and get the medal just for showing up while the other guys shed blood to win the battle?

Look, if JW joins the team, fine.  But let him play to own leading the surge.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Not cool.  So let me get this straight.  A guy who can't make up his mind and wants to keep his options open, suddenly waltzes in, gets to go to the head of the line and get the medal just for showing up while the other guys shed blood to win the battle?

Look, if JW joins the team, fine.  But let him play to own leading the surge.

You may be right. SuperDave probably has it more on tone with manning the siren tonight. 

Just doing something to make a show of his return, is what I'm going for. 

Maybe a storm surge that somehow pokes fun at Williams return...the guys all creeking around on canes, then suddenly stand up straight and feel great, then Williams arrives. Or a magic trick where the reveal is Williams. 

Probably keep it with the siren though.

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

Maybe a storm surge that somehow pokes fun at Williams return...the guys all creeking around on canes, then suddenly stand up straight and feel great, then Williams arrives. Or a magic trick where the reveal is Williams. 

Let’s win 1st

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

same here, but let's keep doing to them what the Rags are doing to us :) 

Welcome their backup with Category 5 - Go Canes!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

You gotta believe! Maybe we are in their heads after eliminating them from the playoffs last year. 

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Well if we don't it would be a pretty pathetic surge. 

Kinda like if Marley didnt show up.

• Like 2

I’m still scratching my head wondering how we can keep losing to a team like the Rags and yet have won two in a row against arguably the best overall hockey club on the planet....one more reason why I never bet on pro sports!

17 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

I’m still scratching my head wondering how we can keep losing to a team like the Rags and yet have won two in a row against arguably the best overall hockey club on the planet....one more reason why I never bet on pro sports!

The Canes can't beat sub-record divisional opponents.  There's no 'how', there just 'is'.