Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Bolts @ Canes...round 3...5 Jan 2020

Recommended Posts

Image result for lightning 

vs

 Image result for hurricane

 

Sunday, 5 January, 2020...5 pm EST 

 

Well, here we are...smarting from a stinging loss to the Craps, and at the halfway point of the season sitting at 50 points.  Could be better, could be worse.  And look who's also sitting at 50 points after being ignored due to a sluggish start to the season?  The suddenly hot Bolts...

 

Of course, it's easy to rack up the points when you play in a crappy division...but they've really turned it on recently and definitely deserve our full attention.  They're coming off a come-from-behind victory vs the Sens with Big Mac in net...so we're getting Vasi.  My $$ is on Reim-time for us between the pipes.

 

Here's hoping for THREE SOLID PERIODS...zero naps, and not having to call out Jake Gardiner for the 60th time.

 

 

Edit: 
Big Mike posted this on the Canes's Facebook site-

Quote

If anyone wants to bring in a card for Erik Haula and his wife, I will be collecting them pregame again at the section 109 kiosk. I will also have some cards that can be signed if you are unable to bring one in. If I am not there, you can leave it with a promotions staff, although I hope you come by before puckdrop so I can meet you all! Thank you to all who brought in a card on Friday night!

 

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Image result for lightning 

vs

 Image result for hurricane

 

Sunday, 5 January, 2020...5 pm EST 

 

Well, here we are...smarting from a stinging loss to the Craps, and at the halfway point of the season sitting at 50 points.  Could be better, could be worse.  And look who's also sitting at 50 points after being ignored due to a sluggish start to the season?  The suddenly hot Bolts...

 

Of course, it's easy to rack up the points when you play in a crappy division...but they've really turned it on recently and definitely deserve our full attention.  They're coming off a come-from-behind victory vs the Sens with Big Mac in net...so we're getting Vasi.  My $$ is on Reim-time for us between the pipes.

 

Here's hoping for THREE SOLID PERIODS...zero naps, and not having to call out Jake Gardiner for the 60th time.

 

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

 

 

Edit: 
Big Mike posted this on the Canes's Facebook site-

 

 

Let's finish the Lightning off today.  We have them by the jugular taking the first two games of the season series for the first time in like forever.  However, the Lightning were not playing as well then as they are now so this will be a test for us.  We need to come out mad and get back on track.  This is a big homestand and 3-1 sounds a lot better than 2-2.  Lets start the official 2nd half of the season the same way we started the first (with a victory).  Distance ourselves from WC 2 a little.  Vas is is going to be hard to beat; hopefully we can pepper him with shots like we did Samsonov, but score more goals and enough to win.

 

The Lightning have caught Lightning in a bottle and have a 6 game winning streak going.  I'd love for us to beat them tonight and hopefully win every game on the rest of this homestand.  One game at a time.  The Lightning will be tough.  Hopefully, our D will hold up. 

 

Regarding Gardiner, it's his first year hear folks on a new team after spending his entire career with Toronto.  I'm willing to cut him some slack.  Hamilton had a hard time last year and many of you gave him a lot of crap on here and now look at him this year.  He's definitely more comfortable now.

 

Dzingel seems to be coming out of it.  Two goals in his last 2 games and even though we lost his last goal was a big one.  It made the Washington game an actual game until the end. 

 

By the way, unless I missed it, I don't think the Hurricanes have scored a goal with the goalie pulled and extra attacker yet this season?  To me that's very concerning.  Not for lack of trying but it is very concerning.

 

Hopefully, that will not need to happen today.  Come on Carolina, be 3-1 on this 7 game homestand, not 2-2.  We need to make some noise on this homestand.  A successful one will be huge for the playoff push and playoff positioning. 

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Let’s start the second half of the season like we did the first half and win 5 in a row. Go Canes!

 

That too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's probably my imagination, but we seem to run into hot teams a lot. Good thing is we seem to be able to beat most of them anyways. 

 

It seems that Pittsburgh is just destined to get a top Metro spot. Lose Malkin? No problem. Lose Crosby and Dumoulin, no problem. Now, lose Guentzel? No problem. Who knows? Every team goes through a swoon, and maybe at some point it catches up with them, but for now, I'm looking at catching the Islanders for Metro 3. They are coming back to Earth 4-5-1 in their last 10. Goal diff is +10 vs +20 or better for the other top teams (including us). I know they win close games but they are catchable. Yesterday was a phenomenal scoreboard day as everyone except Pittsburgh and Tampa lost.

 

Then it's looking down. And in that area we got a clean slate yesterday. Columbus, Florida, Philly and the NYR all lost in regulation and MTL lost in OT. 

 

In the Atlantic the cream has risen with the firing of Babcock liberating Toronto and the inevitable rise of Tampa. But IMO this is fine. Boston, Tampa, and Toronto are the best teams, so let the WC teams (FLA, MTL, Buffalo) keep dropping. That leaves a lower floor for the last WC.

 

OK, how does that play into this game? Only that winning keeps putting distance between us and the WC contenders and would put us ONE point out of Metro3 and the NYI. 

 

 

Tampa? They were rope-a-doping the NHL and are now in a fleury. They have already passed us for better record overall. 

 

Tampa has the #2 PP in the NHL and it's close to even with #1, and I'm guessing it's been firing given their win streak. It's always a fine line for this team with the stick infractions. We use our sticks aggressively in our style of play, but we have to limit them facing this PP.  This has been said before many other games vs good PP's, and doesn't usually stop them from happening. We remain #8 in penalties taken/game. Tampa is #7 though, so if we do get into some PP's/PK's we're going to need to get a PP goal probably. 

 

Tampa played yesterday in Ottawa and this is 3 in 4 for them and it's a slightly early start. Maybe this is a letdown game. Even if it's not, we can beat them, but the rise of Tampa and Toronto just points out how stacked the East is. 

 

Go Canes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know it's probably my imagination, but we seem to run into hot teams a lot. Good thing is we seem to be able to beat most of them anyways. 

 

It seems that Pittsburgh is just destined to get a top Metro spot. Lose Malkin? No problem. Lose Crosby and Dumoulin, no problem. Now, lose Guentzel? No problem. Who knows? Every team goes through a swoon, and maybe at some point it catches up with them, but for now, I'm looking at catching the Islanders for Metro 3. They are coming back to Earth 4-5-1 in their last 10. Goal diff is +10 vs +20 or better for the other top teams (including us). I know they win close games but they are catchable. Yesterday was a phenomenal scoreboard day as everyone except Pittsburgh and Tampa lost.

 

Then it's looking down. And in that area we got a clean slate yesterday. Columbus, Florida, Philly and the NYR all lost in regulation and MTL lost in OT. 

 

In the Atlantic the cream has risen with the firing of Babcock liberating Toronto and the inevitable rise of Tampa. But IMO this is fine. Boston, Tampa, and Toronto are the best teams, so let the WC teams (FLA, MTL, Buffalo) keep dropping. That leaves a lower floor for the last WC.

 

OK, how does that play into this game? Only that winning keeps putting distance between us and the WC contenders and would put us ONE point out of Metro3 and the NYI. 

 

 

Tampa? They were rope-a-doping the NHL and are now in a fleury. They have already passed us for better record overall. 

 

Tampa has the #2 PP in the NHL and it's close to even with #1, and I'm guessing it's been firing given their win streak. It's always a fine line for this team with the stick infractions. We use our sticks aggressively in our style of play, but we have to limit them facing this PP. That has, however, been said with many of the teams we face, and doesn't usually stop them. We remain #8 in penalties taken/game. Tampa is #7 though, so if we do get into some PP's/PK's we're going to need to get a PP goal probably. 

 

Tampa played yesterday in Ottawa and this is 3 in 4 for them and it's a slightly early start. Maybe this is a letdown game. Even if it's not, we can beat them, but the rise of Tampa and Toronto just points out how stacked the East is. 

 

Go Canes!

 

I do believe Pittsburgh will come back down to earth.  I think it's a little luck on their side right now.  TB is playing like the TB last year.  I don't know what changed with them to be so good all of a sudden.  Maybe the team as a whole finally found themselves again and are now believing in themselves? 

 

It's good to see the Islanders coming back to earth (this is the team we should be focused on catching at this point) and the Flyers, boy, what have they lost 4 in a row now? 

 

We really need to have our A game tonight.  We have one thing on our side; we've beaten TB twice this year already so we have confidence that we can beat them now...however, that was before they turned their season around...but it still gives us confidence  They've dominated us lately in regular season play in season series but we have turned that around to this point.  Stay out of the box. 

 

The Flames were on a 7 game winning streak before we shut them out in Calgary and they seemed to have struggled since then, the Avalanche were on a hot streak before we beat them in Colorado.  Maybe we can end TB's hot streak and start a new winning streak for us.

 

I don't know at what point TB started playing better.  I know we beat them in their barn in late November thanks to Reimer but I don't know if they were playing better then overall or not. 

 

And please, lets stop Tyler Johnson.  He seems to turn it up a notch when he faces us.

 

Go Carolina.  Win tonight and start a new streak.  Distance is the key.  A win tonight and we're 3 points ahead of the Flyers for the first WC spot and the Flyers have had a few games to overtake us but haven't yet.  We REALLY need to take advantage of that.  They're in the midst of like a 7 game road trip and I believe they're 1-4 on the trip right now and have lost 3 in a row.

 

We would also be 1 pt behind the Islanders for 3rd in the Metro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets end this streaky crap and start winning more consistently boys. I like the 3-4 game winning streaks but when they are followed up 2-3 game losing streaks you don't gain much ground or confidence.   Light up the Bolts and embarrass them like we dd at the beginning of the season and held them to no shots for a full period.  
 

Lets Go Canes!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleeping Sharks scored an ENG to go up 4-2 on Craps with 1:48 left...Craps then scored 2 and are now in OT!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Yeah, they got some mojo back. On offense. Still not defending all that well. Our high flyers vs theirs. 

 

The MTL game was pretty well defended all around but MTL is banged up.  At this point I think our defense has been off since the Colorado game because Colorado had all their stars and we shut them down that night.  Had to come back in the final 3 minutes of the game but we still shut them down.  Good to see our offense is back after being shut out 3 times in like ten games earlier.

 

Need to have better consistent defense the rest of this homestand and carry that the rest of the season.  I don't know where it went since the Colorado game but we need it back.  We were killing penalties left and right back then but lately our PK has been below avg to avg and I have no idea why or if we're even doing anything different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Bleeping Sharks scored an ENG to go up 4-2 on Craps with 1:48 left...Craps then scored 2 and are now in OT!!! 

 

Unbelievable.  The Capitals just don't lose. Before they had that 2 game losing streak until they beat us they hadn't lost 2 in a row in regulation all year.

 

Not only did they score 2 goals, they scored 2 goals in 32 seconds.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Anyone got confirmation on Reim-Time vs Pete?

Tampa Bay GDT has Pete starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And they won in OT...seriously, Craps and Evil Empire have sold their souls for these kinds of wins!

 

Hey, not many teams can say this: We've already beaten them twice this year and gave them a heart attack with our comeback last game that fell short.  We're like the only team in the league right now the Caps haven't really dominated this season.

 

CBJ has also beaten them twice this season.  So, we're the two teams that have given them half their regulation losses this season. 

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dinz said:

Tampa Bay GDT has Pete starting.

 

Our projected lineup has Pete starting too...but it also has in () that starting goalie is not confirmed and the NHL.com preview has Riemer starting.  For some reason, my money is on Reimer today.  He's earned it after his last game vs TB in Tampa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And they won in OT...seriously, Craps and Evil Empire have sold their souls for these kinds of wins!

Unacceptable for the Sharks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This homestretch and the brief trip that preceded it isn't the final exam for where on the East ladder we'll wind up. The way this Conference is going that'll happen for pretty much everybody down the stretch.

 

But it's a midterm, most def. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

A win today sets us up to get half of the available points for the stretch beginning with the home loss to FL.

I figured we needed 10 of 14 before this homestand to hold serve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I figured out why Dzingal and others aren't scoring as much as they should.

 

They need to keep their eyes open when shooting.

 

Several of the players now have admitted to closing their eyes and hoping the puck goes in the net when they shoot.

 

For Rod, it might be worth pointing out in their next practice, to have the guys work on keeping their eyes open when the shoot.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I look at that replay, the more it should’ve been offsetting penalties on Dougie and Oshie...that was boarding!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

I think I figured out why Dzingal and others aren't scoring as much as they should.

 

They need to keep their eyes open when shooting.

 

Several of the players now have admitted to closing their eyes and hoping the puck goes in the net when they shoot.

 

For Rod, it might be worth pointing out in their next practice, to have the guys work on keeping their eyes open when the shoot.

 

 

Although Jordan Staal might try closing his eyes, then the shot might drift away from the goal crest....ouch. Sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, remkin said:

Although Jordan Staal might try closing his eyes, then the shot might drift away from the goal crest....ouch. Sorry. 

No comment for the rest of the homestand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...