The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Bolts @ Canes...round 3...5 Jan 2020

The team had the welcome back Williams banner ready in the dressing room, but HE didn't show up, so I guess they were just too emotionally

drained to play a hockey game 😂😂....(sarcasm alert)

Attended both games this weekend and here are some random thoughts: If the scoreboard was correct, we gave up 2 goals on 2 shots in each game, both times in the first 5 minutes. I don’t blame this all on Petr, but he nearly gave up 2 goals on boneheaded puck handling tonight, and even if he was hung out to dry, sometimes you need your goalie to save one of those. He did later, but not before both games were 2-0. I’m surprised we didn’t see Reimer tonight, if not to start, after those first 2 goals. First period stats on the scoreboard showed Washington with 5 hits and the Canes with ... ZERO! If I counted correctly, the Canes had 3 shots in the second period tonight. In both games our passing was terrible. It was sickening to watch us sling the puck into someone’s skates, or worse yet, to a Bolts player or nowhere, then watch the crisp tape to tape passes by Tampa. Our preferred method of entering the offensive zone is dump and chase, even if we have no players in the zone to chase the puck. We are better than what we showed in these 2 games and we better wake up and start proving it. 

Now that my rant is over, let me say I am coming around to getting Willy back ASAP if he is in shape. Screw worrying about affecting team chemistry. I paid to go to 2 games this weekend and didn’t see any chemistry. The gain in leadership is worth it. Brock has 5 goals and 9 points in 42 games. Somebody else can slide in and kill penalties.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Now that my rant is over, let me say I am coming around to getting Willy back ASAP if he is in shape. Screw worrying about affecting team chemistry. I paid to go to 2 games this weekend and didn’t see any chemistry. The gain in leadership is worth it. Brock has 5 goals and 9 points in 42 games. Somebody else can slide in and kill penalties.

I'm coming around to that because the fabled chemistry that I so dearly loved has evaporated, transporated, sublimated or just plain left the room.  No danger in upsetting something that's gone.

• Like 1

My daughter usually comes with me for each game, but on Friday and today, I brought friends who have little exposure to hockey.  For Friday, the paraphrased comment from my guest was “Washington seems more organized and passes better.  Canes seem lost out there.”  For today, the paraphrased comment from my guest was “Tampa Bay seems more organized and passes better.  Canes seem lost out there.”

This is embarrassing especially during the Christmas and New Years break when a lot of families and their children make their sole annual trip to PNC Arena.  I hope they realize that this isn’t the style of play we’ve grown accustomed to for the past year.

15 years a ticket holder. I left after the second period, something I never do. I should have left after the first period for it was obvious from the first shifts that this was not to be a serious game. This was just a waste of time and money. Something is seriously wrong with this team. 

53 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

My daughter usually comes with me for each game, but on Friday and today, I brought friends who have little exposure to hockey.  For Friday, the paraphrased comment from my guest was “Washington seems more organized and passes better.  Canes seem lost out there.”  For today, the paraphrased comment from my guest was “Tampa Bay seems more organized and passes better.  Canes seem lost out there.”

This is embarrassing especially during the Christmas and New Years break when a lot of families and their children make their sole annual trip to PNC Arena.  I hope they realize that this isn’t the style of play we’ve grown accustomed to for the past year.

Appreciate you trying to grow the brand. I enjoyed that part of being a regular ticket purchaser. 

I feel that Rod went a full 180 on a Peter’s system after seeing its affects on the players. It is more of free flow, use of the skill system with these young players. We’ll see some disorganization.  

9 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

But a trend has started even before this game, don't forget the game against FL right before Christmas, another sell out crowd with a total clunker game.

So, at this rate, we may have to realize this is the style of play we need to grow accustomed to for the rest of the year.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sundance-ch1 said:

15 years a ticket holder. I left after the second period, something I never do. I should have left after the first period for it was obvious from the first shifts that this was not to be a serious game. This was just a waste of time and money. Something is seriously wrong with this team. 

Yet here we sit in pretty good position points wise. I believe the "seriously wrong" part is despite most of this team having finally gotten into post season last year(yea), and players like Martinook for sure, as well as Jordan Staal, there is still a place for Williams strong voice of experience? While he may be "losing a step", and has not been integrated into this team, I believe that attribute could be invaluable now when the team seems to be floundering with games such as last night. Wish we'd get on with this signing, or if not, go after somebody?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wish we'd get on with this signing, or if not, go after somebody?

This is it in a nutshell for me.  Do it or don't do it, just be done with it.

• Like 3

Right now, we only have 3 top-4 defenseman, any way you slice it.

Right now, we have a goalie tandem that can't steal a game for us.

Right now, we are playing like a team captained by a Staal.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

This is it in a nutshell for me.  Do it or don't do it, just be done with it.

This has been one of the concerns of those of us on the "no JW" side.  Not so much JW, but just the damn distraction of it all.

I'm hoping there is some internal confidential communication that has everything settled.  If not, and if the guys are having the same BS sessions we are here ("will he, won't he, when will he?"), then that's bad news.

• Like 1

There is no excuse, but this was our flat game that all teams have. This team is nowhere near good enough to beat a resurgent Tampa team with a dead legs game. There are disturbing trends on D and in goal. Why does Reimer only get one bad game and he sits forever? But the no show of our top 6 has not been a trend and hopefully is a one-off here.

BUT those were arguably two of the best teams in the NHL, and we let down. Last night our top 6 were missing, we were not playing our game of short, crisp passes, and defensive let downs against a team as loaded as Tampa, end up in the back of the net.

The team has to make some strides on D, penalties taken and in net to be a cup contender. But I still think this is a solid top 10 playoff team. The game tomorrow though, looms larger than it would have. At the very least we need our top 6 to show, and maybe put Reimer in net. 

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

And maybe only 1 of them has been getting on his game, or even close when we end up chasing the game so often.

Yes, we seem to be in that valley of needing that over the top Offensive output not just to win,(but consistently early)to be in it with a realistic chance to win late.

Certainly does have the feel and look of a group trying to rely on individual elite rather than all pulling the same team rope, thus the mega predictable inconsistency.

I've never faulted the brothers for ability, and discounting the last half season of Eric's tenure, for effort or role as spokesman. 

That said, I've never bought the idea of captain(of any pro sports endeavor, having been one) as someone delivering by example or work ethic, etc, etc. I believe there is a personality involved with adequately filling the role, one which the fine gentlemen the Staal's are, fails to get to the heart of that concept of a certain abrasiveness. Not overt screaming and correcting, but a direct use of words, privately or publicly through interview, as say someone like JW would use to real effectiveness while it coming from a "respected person". He was great at incredulity, almost laughing at the horrible effort he may have just witnessed, yet pushing a message of just how sorry it might be, and how failing it would come to be if it continued. Jordo seems to say the right things after games, etc, but he also seems to say them as expected to, with not much in the way of the consequences of not leaving it all out there. Just a personal observation. I actually think Jordan IS respected. Maybe a little too much as a buddy buddy, yet not enough on the resume to be the guy who knows what it takes and is perceived that way.

Edited by 2ndsacker
  • Like 2

Had to look close a few times to see if Foegelle was out of the line up. He was sorta there. Our supposed league leading defense has abandoned their game and is very porous. Appears to be to much pinching IMO leaving a forward to play the D.We have to get over the home/away goalie approach and start the better tender. Reimer has sat a game after throwing a shutout which doesn't make sense. Just ride the hotter tender at the given point in time. Aho was struggling last night hand wise as he fumbled several passes but most of the team was struggling. Time to shuffle the deck to see if we can breath some life into the troops.                                                    Svech.       AHO.        TT.                      Dzingle.      Haula.     Necas.              Nino.           Wallmark.   Foegelle.     Maginn.      Staal.         Martinook

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Agree with all of the above, but you just let AWACS sneak in a backhanded jab at Staal.

8 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Agree with all of the above, but you just let AWACS sneak in a backhanded jab at Staal.

Nope...I made a promise to not say anything til the end of the homestand 

9 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

And maybe only 1 of them has been getting on his game, or even close when we end up chasing the game so often.

Yes, we seem to be in that valley of needing that over the top Offensive output not just to win,(but consistently early)to be in it with a realistic chance to win late.

Certainly does have the feel and look of a group trying to rely on individual elite rather than all pulling the same team rope, thus the mega predictable inconsistency.

I've never faulted the brothers for ability, and discounting the last half season of Eric's tenure, for effort or role as spokesman. 

That said, I've never bought the idea of captain(of any pro sports endeavor, having been one) as someone delivering by example or work ethic, etc, etc. I believe there is a personality involved with adequately filling the role, one which the fine gentlemen the Staal's are, fails to get to the heart of that concept of a certain abrasiveness. Not overt screaming and correcting, but a direct use of words, privately or publicly through interview, as say someone like JW would use to real effectiveness while it coming from a "respected person". He was great at incredulity, almost laughing at the horrible effort he may have just witnessed, yet pushing a message of just how sorry it might be, and how failing it would come to be if it continued. Jordo seems to say the right things after games, etc, but he also seems to say them as expected to, with not much in the way of the consequences of not leaving it all out there. Just a personal observation. I actually think Jordan IS respected. Maybe a little too much as a buddy buddy, yet not enough on the resume to be the guy who knows what it takes and is perceived that way.

I don’t think it’s fair to speculate how Jordan is respected in the room. But he has won a Stanley Cup, been an Alternate captain under Sidney Crosby and JW, and he has stayed at a Holiday Inn. Seriously, the majority of people on this board (me too)  believe in everything Rod does but many question his selection of Jordo  as Captain. Looking at his production this year (16 points), I do wonder if the responsibility of the captaincy is weighing on Jordan’s play.

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Nope...I made a promise to not say anything til the end of the homestand 

You gave a thumbs-up to Coastal’s post. You didn’t say it, you just agreed with it. Maybe we win out the home stand and you can give him another week.

24 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

You gave a thumbs-up to Coastal’s post. You didn’t say it, you just agreed with it. Maybe we win out the home stand and you can give him another week.

Doesn’t mean I agreed with EVERYTHING in that post...

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Doesn’t mean I agreed with EVERYTHING in that post...

Ah, but this is 2020 AWACs!  You either agree with everything, or don't.  Didn't you get the memo?   Hate or Love.  No in between.  A politician can only walk on water, or be 100% excoriated.  No in between.  :)

• Like 3

On 1/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, wxray1 said:

I'm coming around to that because the fabled chemistry that I so dearly loved has evaporated, transporated, sublimated or just plain left the room. 

Or our coach is just too hardheaded for his own good.

Three words: TT. Aho. Svech.

And for crying out loud, send Nino and Gardiner to the press box.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:12 AM, wxray1 said:

But a trend has started even before this game, don't forget the game against FL right before Christmas, another sell out crowd with a total clunker game.

So, at this rate, we may have to realize this is the style of play we need to grow accustomed to for the rest of the year.

What has totally disappeared is any will to possess the puck between the blue lines. If you win the neutral zone you win the game. It's the reason you build a fast team. Sure, speed is nice on D and O, but not using it in transition is the very definition of being a step behind.

Hockey's really not a complex game, but lately, we're making it look like three-dimensional chess. 

• Like 1