The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Canes vs Flyers, January 7, 7PM. 4 point game. Time to win.

9 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I hope we’re making phone calls before the trade deadline to see if we can make improvements 

Reimer for King Henry 😑

Just now, surfzone365 said:

Reimer for King Henry 😑

San Jose needs a goalie or two...Chicago needs more defense ;)

Just now, hockeybaby said:

Not impressed with this game, but we got the 2 points.

Find me someone on this board who was

52 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Three words:

Bring

Up

Ned!

I would not to be opposed to that.  But not in a reactionary sense.  Like the Rangers are doing.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I would not to be opposed to that.  But not in a reactionary sense.  Like the Rangers are doing.

Goaltending is gonna kill us if we make the playoffs...they just aren’t making the saves when we need em too

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I hope we’re making phone calls before the trade deadline to see if we can make improvements 

Wonder what we could get for J Willy?  j/k :P

• Like 2

Just got in from the game.  We got 2 points.  It was as sloppy a game as I have seen in a while.  Looked like both teams had brooms and not hockey sticks. Reimer was quite an adventure tonight.  

• Like 1

Reimer was looking really good in December but then once he got the shutout, it seemed RB decided to give the bulk of the starts to Mrazak and Reimer looked way too rusty.  No excuses, he should have had a couple of those, but he hasn't been given the games to stay in game shape either.  Meanwhile Mrazek hasn't been the Mrazek from last year.  Best goaltending either of them have given this season was when they were platooned.  Unless Ned is given a chance, i hope RB goes back to platooning them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

So-so goaltending is being generous. Reimer and Mrazek are both struggling all of a sudden. We can’t make the playoffs if goalies and D don’t get their act together.

I don't see it that way; I see it as our guys not starting on time, as someone used to say :) 

I haven't seen much here from our resident keeper Legend lately (I haven't been here much myself) but with few (like, future Hall of Famer) exceptions, early goals and especially first-shot goals often shatter keepers' confidence for the rest of the game. I played goal as a kid, and like Tripp often says, those first touches are crucial.

If the Canes don't rally to tie that game in the first, Reimer probably doesn't come back for the second, and it's arguable whether he should have anyway. Their first goal's ugliness was exceeded only by that of their third and fourth, especially the third, because he had positioning; all he had to do was stay in the butterfly with his pads flat and the tips together for an easy save/freeze. He also looked behind himself after making a save at least once, yet, it should be noted, was Johnny-on-the-spot for a key save on a giveaway in the slot, without which the Flyers would have gone up 3-0.

When you don't defend the house early, you get those kind of mixed-bag performances from your keepers. Hopefully Willy's return gets the guys back to showing up before the second TV time-out.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 3

Almost more than a usual crowd explosion, A collective sigh of relief murmured through the building at Wally's goal. The beautiful second one to tie was practically a bonus, absolutely needed, but Wallmark's said, 'people, we're not gonna chase this thing all night'. Like recently. It's easy to have seen a horrible D game last night, but I didn't think so. Take away the turnover factor that bounced a few pucks right into their laps, and the backcheck was more solid than in a couple weeks, and Philly really didn't have a lot of room to operate in the middle of the ice. Early goals, response goals, I'm seeing wallmark as maybe the most valuable over the last few weeks, in helping us to hold what we got. Turnovers and soft goals obviously need clean up, but with our goaltending trending the wrong direction lately, it could be worse without a few guys clutching up in key situations for the wins we have scraped out. A key stat I think jumping out right now against the teams barking at our heels is good margins at least in the tie breaking scenarios. In so tight a metro, a 3 game lead in RW, and 3-5 in the ROW are insignificants that could mean something later. JW's return, I'm thinking the building will be energized all weekend, and with solid play, we sure can handle those western teams. Just gotta do it and all is normal.

• Like 2

Not a well played game by any means.  Again, could not hold a two goal lead vs a Metro division team and got fortunate we won in OT because the Flyers had some early chances but hit the post.  Reimer looked really shaky last night, but on the bright side so did Elliott.  Also, Reimer hasn't played a game in 2 weeks and it's hard for a goalie to be sharp after sitting for so long and our 'D' really needs to tighten up.  Philly had a lot of Grade A's last night.

Overall though Reimers has played better lately than his record and to me a win is a win but like realmdrakkar said and I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this but Mrazek definitely has not looked like the Mrazek of last year.  I've seen several goals scored on him this year that he would've saved last year.  He still has made big saves but he just hasn't been the goalie he was last year  Reimer IMO overall has played better than Mrazek. 

I also agree that we need to go back to platooning them.  At least that SHOULD happen this weekend since we have a B2B but I do think Reimer should've played the game vs TB or maybe even the 2nd Washington game on the homestand.  Instead, Brindy went with Mrazek on both and I was more shocked he went with Mrazek vs TB given that TB has owned Mrazek and they still do.  Reimer earned one if not both of those starts given that he played well vs those two teams this year.  Had like 36 saves in the victory in TB and his first win as a Cane came in DC.

We're also 4-8-1 vs the Metro this season.  Have 2 games vs Metro division opponents after this homestand.  Need to get that overall record to at least .500 to have good positioning.  We're where we are right now in the playoff race strictly due to our play vs non metro opponents.  We should win these next two games since it's from teams out west but I'm not underestimating the Coyotes.  They look pretty dang good this year and Taylor Hall only makes them better.  They will not be a cakewalk on Friday.

Dougie clearly played a bit of back yard croquet as a child.  Those skills come back when you need them!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Dougie clearly played a bit of back yard croquet as a child.  Those skills come back when you need them!

My thoughts exactly when I watched that wicket play.  It was clear to me he had a plan to try it .  Glad it worked

Yes our goalie let it some softies and was rusty but my eye test shows a defense that is far away from last years D and it shouldn't be. The D is supposed to be one of the best in the league and is looking sloppy as of late. We need to ensure we have a forward back when a D man pinches and joins the rush. Good game from Gards last night from a D perspective and a goal to boot. Big Ed and Hammy adding a goal, good stuff. The D needs to ensure that clearing passes are on target, not just lifted or flung out of the zone. What is with dumping the puck on the powerplay? I'd prefer entering the zone with posession and setting up once entered. Dumping the puck is creating an opportunity for loss of posession and not taking advantage of the extra man. Svech had a good game until he showed his frustration with the slash. It's so hard to think of him as only being 19 and hopefully the stick infractions will subside. Wallmark and Foegelle are playing great, we need more from our expected scorers...looking at you NN. I'm still wanting (Svech/Aho/TT), (Dzingle/Haula/Necas), (NN/Wallmark/Fogs) (Mcginn/Staal/Martinook) 

• Like 2

Reimer very shaky, his confidence was horrible, I think he checked behind him after every shot.  Reminded me of that one goaltender we used to have when you would have to grit your teeth every shot because it was probably going to go in.  Still manged to pull the win out because we have offense that can get it done this year.   I'm not ready to get rid of him just yet but lets hope he recovers back to form.  

Almost ready to see Ned if goal tending stays shaky. 

11 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup. We beat a team we should but made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be, and Dougie's double nutmeg was little more than whipped cream on horse****. 

Tripps call...Dougie undressed him then took advantage of him ???

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Tripps call...Dougie undressed him then took advantage of him ???

And people give Tripp a hard time. I think the man's comments specially when John is there are pure genius. His bit about everyone under the sun being a Canes fan have almost reached legendary status with even Shaya busting his balls about it last night. He does running gags way too long (Statler and Waldorf for example) but he brings a lighthearted take and the broadcast booth that most other cant get to.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

And people give Tripp a hard time. I think the man's comments specially when John is there are pure genius. His bit about everyone under the sun being a Canes fan have almost reached legendary status with even Shaya busting his balls about it last night. He does running gags way too long (Statler and Waldorf for example) but he brings a lighthearted take and the broadcast booth that most other cant get to.

Tripp has his detractors but like Shaya, he's still miles above what some teams roll out in their broadcast team.  I'll take Tripp and Shaya every day of the week over a lot of those guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'll take Tripp and Shaya every day of the week over a lot of those guys.

I’d take Mike over Shaya though 

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Tripp has his detractors but like Shaya, he's still miles above what some teams roll out in their broadcast team.  I'll take Tripp and Shaya every day of the week over a lot of those guys.

Agree about Tripp....while his famous goofiness gets on my nerves sometimes I’ve always appreciated his insights as an ex goalie and furthermore he is always uber prepared for the opponent at hand. He is the perfect foil to Forslund’s brand of humor which helps explain why they have successfully partnered for 21 years now.

• Like 1