The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Canes vs Flyers, January 7, 7PM. 4 point game. Time to win.

And I would almost bet a small part of the reason John comes back year after year is because he knows he will never have another broadcasting partner like Tripp

• Like 2

Straight man/funny man. The most classic of all forms of airwave entertainment. John, simply the best there is in any sports broadcasting. Tripp, mastering the art of blending the best sport of all with knowledge from small time experience, while saying it's ok to not hide the peculiar members of our own families at the same time. :pullhair::banana:

Edited by 2ndsacker
  • Like 1

Watched this late. Sloppy D and bad goaltending. Luckily I was talking about Philly. But seriously, we would have lost, but both goalies were equally soft. Yes, the D was bad. Turnovers to the front of the net, etc. But Reimer was fighting it bad.

I recall Reimer being clearly the better goalie for most of the season though. The problem IMO is that he laid a dud vs the Rangers Dec 27, then got shelved. Before that he had been really good though. So he's clearly the best goalie until the NYR game then he has one bad game, and sits 10 days and 4 games because of it. 

I'm going to say this has been bad handling of the goalies. Yes, you need to earn your ice, but you also need confidence. And the SIX starts in a row before the NYR dud should have earned him a chance to get back on the horse more than 10 days later. Here are his save % in the six starts before his NYR dud:

.919, 1.000. .947, .941, .917, 1.000, .964. 

Well he played well against weak teams. Nope: Toronto, Colorado, Calgary, Edmonton, Boston, Tampa, Detroit, Minn. All on the road. Detroit the only lowly team. 

We need to see if we can get Reimer back on track before bailing on him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I haven't seen much here from our resident keeper Legend lately (I haven't been here much myself) but with few (like, future Hall of Famer) exceptions, early goals and especially first-shot goals often shatter keepers' confidence for the rest of the game. I played goal as a kid, and like Tripp often says, those first touches are crucial.

Well for the first decent portion of the season, when things are going great there's not much to say imo other then posting woo all the time lol

First goal on first shot sucks and Brindy's loyalty to his goalies mighta gave the Flyers a point. I know I'd of gone to Petr after 2 goals on 4 shots especially with how the first goal went in, I'm not recalling the 2nd goal off hand but 2 goals on 4 shots is 2 goals on 4 shots to me.

What's frustrating to me is watching our goalies be in the right position but not trust their body to make the save. Like Tripp said last night there was no reason for Reimer to turn his glove I think on the 4th goal that went through his arm pit. Keep the arm dead at his side and make the blocking save. He turned his glove, made a hole and in it went. Petr got opened up similarly in his last game, great position but decided to thrust his blocker out on a shot between his arm when he shoulda just trusted his body and positioning. Is that something Bales harped on? Hard to say because Petr's just a wild goalie who makes amazing saves that don't always have to be amazing which is why I think fans seem to like him more but to me his wild play is going to result in great games and bad games....with almost no in between. Which is exactly what Detroit fans say about him.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I know I'd of gone to Petr after 2 goals on 4 shots especially with how the first goal went in,

It was ugly, he got deked out of his pants, but in his defense he was still probably stunned by Fleury's crappy (non)clear.

39 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

What's frustrating to me is watching our goalies be in the right position but not trust their body to make the save. Like Tripp said last night there was no reason for Reimer to turn his glove I think on the 4th goal that went through his arm pit. Keep the arm dead at his side and make the blocking save.

Exactly right. He was herky jerky all night, and I think that first goal was a big reason.

Edit to add: the not-trusted butterfly goal referenced my OP on this was the third, not the fourth, and you're right, the fourth was even worse.

Edited by top-shelf-1

15 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Ned having .910 but has been catching fire recently

Forsburg is .909 and also has been playing lights out recently.

Save % aren’t world beating, but they’re vastly improved from the start of the season 

Just my opinion, but going to most of the recent home Checkers games, Ned looks a lot better than Forsburg to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

and you're right, the fourth was even worse.

I think that the shot by Philly's player was a bit awkward, he his the puck with the top of the blade instead of the center of the tape. And due to that puck trajectory was not the one Reimer anticipated I itially

If we don't stop turning the puck over in front of our goalie, the goaltending tandem in the playoffs will not be an issue, cause there won't be any playoffs.  From the D to the forwards, guys are making stupid passes and turning the puck over right in front.  Hell, I don't play but I know you send it up the boards unless you are damn sure of the pass.  This wasn't happening several weeks ago like it has the last several games.  We gotta get this fixed!!!  

Edited by Tightlinez

I've seen our D turning it over as well when there's a hard forecheck. Surprising trend given how seasoned our D are. That Stamkos goal on Sunday was a poop sandwich. Hope it's a coach-able problem rather than something inherent to our team that will stick with us. 

7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Tripp has his detractors but like Shaya, he's still miles above what some teams roll out in their broadcast team.  I'll take Tripp and Shaya every day of the week over a lot of those guys.

Good, because sadly when Emerick hangs ‘em up, that’s probably what you’re going to get.

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It was ugly, he got deked out of his pants, but in his defense he was still probably stunned by Fleury's crappy (non)clear.

Exactly right. He was herky jerky all night, and I think that first goal was a big reason.

Edit to add: the not-trusted butterfly goal referenced my OP on this was the third, not the fourth, and you're right, the fourth was even worse.

As far as going to Petr, I believe he gave up 2 goals on 2 shots to both Washington and Tampa. He settled down and played better, but really both of them were victims of some atrocious defense in front of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

He settled down and played better, but really both of them were victims of some atrocious defense in front of them.

*cough*mostly Gardiner*cough*

(and others...but still, mostly Gardiner)

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

*cough*mostly Gardiner*cough*

(and others...but still, mostly Gardiner)

If you look at the last 5games stats don’t bear this out. But.....you got your mind made up.

And then these lackluster Flyers go out and hold a 1 goal lead for 35 minutes and beat the Craps in regulation...  you just never know....

• Like 2

Yeah it really looks like at least 97 points to get that last WC spot. Heard that Philly has a lot of home games left overall and they have a 14-2-4 home record so far. We're going to need a bit of a win streak starting tomorrow IMO to get some more wins in this homestand. 

I'm betting Florida, Buffalo, Rangers, and Montreal drop out. Can Columbus keep this up? If so, I see us battling them, Philly, and at least in my dreams the Islanders with one team out. I keep thinking the Islanders have to start losing some of these one goal games, but then they go open up a 5 point lead on us, and with a bean too. 

Just gotta try to stay on a 100 point pace. Currently on 99.

35 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah it really looks like at least 97 points to get that last WC spot. Heard that Philly has a lot of home games left overall and they have a 14-2-4 home record so far. We're going to need a bit of a win streak starting tomorrow IMO to get some more wins in this homestand. 

I'm betting Florida, Buffalo, Rangers, and Montreal drop out. Can Columbus keep this up? If so, I see us battling them, Philly, and at least in my dreams the Islanders with one team out. I keep thinking the Islanders have to start losing some of these one goal games, but then they go open up a 5 point lead on us, and with a bean too. 

Just gotta try to stay on a 100 point pace. Currently on 99.

+16 for the win.  

• Like 2