The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Desert Dogs vs Canes...10 Jan 2020

Image result for sonoran hot dog  VS  Image result for hurricanes

Friday, 10 Jan 2020...7:30 pm EST

Speaking of Sonoran hot dogs, let’s all welcome back to Raleigh the one, the only, Phil "Kobayashi" Kessel:
Image result for kessel hot dog

Let's also welcome back...

Image result for Justin WIlliams

The hell he has!  HE'S BACK!!!  Ok, so maybe not in the game, but he'll be there soon enough.

As of this writing (about 6:45 pm CST on 9 Jan), the Desert Dogs are currently in Tampa getting their behinds handed to them by the Bolts.  So, once again, we're facing a team on the back end of a B2B...and they're playing their third-string goalie, as their top two are injured...HOWEVER, we might see Antti Raanta back in net tomorrow (otherwise, we'll get their FOURTH string goalie).

They might not have the big names (other than Mr. Hot Dog, Taylor Hall, and Ekman-Larson), but they have a potent offense that can hurt you six ways to Sunday...and they're LEADING THE PACIFIC DIVISION!  So please, boys, don't take them lightly...come ready to play...and ready to throttle them!

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 4

Gotta make sure that we don't make the 4th string Goalie look like Lundquist on steroids.  They did take a beating last night.  Here's to allowing them to continue their losing streak in the South!!  I would think that you are going to see the best of efforts out of our guys tonight.    

• Like 1

Canes should be up for this one. They will need to be vs a team with an almost identical record. The effect of having J Willy waiting to take your slot is an interesting one. I expect a good effort tonight.

TVR draws back in, Mrazek in crease

the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Staal-Foegele
Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Dzingel-Haula-Necas
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Edmundson-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek

I know they're good and have a good goalie going, and anything can happen in hockey but for some reason I'm just feeling our chances in this one are good.

• Like 1

The shot of Willy and Pesce in practice says more about how how loose this team should be thanks to his signing than anything I have to say. Except:

I expect to see guys having fun again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

I will be stoked if we can avoid letting in 2 before we score.

I just hope it isn't on the first 2 shots, whether we score before it happens or not.

Finish of this home stand with 3 wins and we are all of the sudden in real good shape again as far as the playoffs are concerned. Unfortunately I think Washington will really the only team in a comfortable spot in the Met right up until the end of the season so we just need to keep in keepin on and stay ahead of the curve

36 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Finish of this home stand with 3 wins and we are all of the sudden in real good shape again as far as the playoffs are concerned. Unfortunately I think Washington will really the only team in a comfortable spot in the Met right up until the end of the season so we just need to keep in keepin on and stay ahead of the curve

Agreed.  However, starting tonight I want to see the Canes team from that road trip where they were a franchise best 4-0-1 and were playing great.  Since the Toronto game when they imploded as a team they haven't been able to find that style of play that they were successful at.  This entire homestand  minus the MTL game (MTL has lost 8 in a row though so they're really struggling right now) their defense has stunk and there goaltending has been suspect.  Actually, it's stunk since the Toronto game.  If we can find that style of play we'll be fine.  No more lousy turnouvers, THINK before you release the puck from your stick.  THINKING minimizes turnovers.

As far as Williams I'm glad he's back.  He may be the missing piece in the locker room and on the ice.  I have a feeling his first game is going to be the first game after the break (I think that's vs Vegas in Carolina) and as far as whom will be sitting, I think it'll be Nino.  Nino has been snake bit all year.  I've been rooting for the Nino that we had last year to come back but since the playoffs last year he hasn't dented the score sheet that often.  If Williams can come back and contribute it'll be a big plus for this team and for the fans.

I also think this team needs to go 5-2 at home to not only keep pace in the race but to keep the teams behind them...behind them.  I was also thinking a 5-2 homestand would cause them to gain on teams in front of them but the 'never lose Metro division' is making that impossible.

They're also playing at home so there is no excuse for them to NOT do well in front of their fans.  As far as the old adage goes good teams 'take care of business at home and play .500 in the road'.  They win tonight and tomorrow they would've taken care of business. 

One game at a time.  Don't want to jump ahead to tomorrow night until tonights game concludes.  We got lucky vs Philly; almost blew that one (TY Hamilton for giving us the extra point in that game).

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Side note...RIP Neil Peart...

😭

Few good things come from Americas hat, Neal Peart  Geddy Lee Rush and hockey are some of those things.

Godspeed Mr. Peart you are the GOAT on drums and will never be surpassed 

Let’s do that hockey!

In Vegas with the Mrs on date weekend...won’t be watching today or tomorrow.  Enjoy, y’all 

Edited by AWACSooner