The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Carolina Whalers vs. LA Queens 11 Jan 2020

This game was completely different than the Caps game.  It is hard to believe the same game can be played so different.

Anyhow, my take was: 55 minutes of "ho hum", 1 minute of joy, and 4 minutes of cheek puckering terror.  Thankfully, Reims got us through the terror.  Those last 2 minutes were nUtZ, but a lot of fun.

The storm surge was potentially the weakest yet, since no fan around us knew what they were attempting.  Mrs. finally figured out it was playing the trombones.  OK, don't blame the boys for wanting to get outta here and get some rest.  They deserved it.

6 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The storm surge was potentially the weakest yet, since no fan around us knew what they were attempting.  Mrs. finally figured out it was playing the trombones.  OK, don't blame the boys for wanting to get outta here and get some rest.  They deserved it.

Forslund guessed harpoons and I'm like oh geez not even close and that'll get PETA's panties in a wad too.

It must sound foolish to say a game with 40 SOG was well played defensively, but I'll say it anyway. I may be a fool. Lot of that forty were really just throwing the puck at Reims, looking for tips, etc. Lot that weren't even SOG were bouncing wide off our defenders, who done a real decent job of boxing the bigger, stronger Kings out, and packing it in without too many high danger shots, preventing tips, hence the 40 that got to Reimer with a clear line of sight. The tips that were contacted, all bounced wide, and when that happens for 60, it just one of those you're meant to win.  No doubt he stole the 2 points with grit, fighting through some discomfort, and steady positioning and rebound control and was obviously Star #1. I'll take an OT midweek winner and a weekend of 0 GA anytime. Great boost to the near future finishing the home stand with 3 straight, though none of it was really pretty and fancy. Necas to close the 2nd last night notwithstanding. Fun time all week, and they did that hockey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caniac514 said:

I heard something about he is dealing with an injury, right?

Trip was ‘speculating’....  who knows...

7 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

The graphic on the ice was pretty cool

The graphic was fun, but not exclusive to the surge.  Pregame and in-between periods it was in action.

• Like 1

They have the surge video posted on NHL.com and re-watching it, the boys were attempting to play the Brass Bonanza as the storm surge.  Hamilton appears to be using his stick as a trombone, Gardiner a trumpet, and Pucky was playing an air saxophone. Strange the the arena turned the lights out, it made it hard to figure out what they were doing.

As for the game, Canes did a lot of weathering the storm as the Kings controlled stretches of play.  Great goaltending and excellent work in limiting second chances were key to the tight win.

And another sellout.  Canes were dead last in NHL attendance three seasons ago, improved to 28th last season and this season they are at 22nd and rising.  Winning is a big part sure, but the entertaining brand of winning hockey helps even more.

9 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

They have the surge video posted on NHL.com and re-watching it, the boys were attempting to play the Brass Bonanza as the storm surge.  Hamilton appears to be using his stick as a trombone, Gardiner a trumpet, and Pucky was playing an air saxophone. Strange the the arena turned the lights out, it made it hard to figure out what they were doing.

Form 3 lines in a box formation.  Put fake instruments to face (hands will do for those not playing trombone).  "march forward" two steps.

We would have gotten it.

Last year we went through Surge-Inflation, and it may be happening again.  Keep it simple boys and concentrate on the game.  Simplify the surge.  We don't need the SFX crew to join in and turn down lights, etc.  This is hockey, not surgey.

Edited by wxray1

I think they were lucky last night. They looked tired from the night before, and were outplayed. Reimer stole one for them. Sometimes the guys need to pick up a goalie, and sometimes a goalie needs to pick up the guys. Good win!

12 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

All things considered, 5 - 2 is decent for a 7 game Homestand.

I figured before this started we needed 10 of 14 points to hold serve...we got it and held serve in the standings 🤨

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

We shut the Kings out 2-0 twice this year.

Just like beating Dallas 3-0 twice last season 

We play a high risk, high reward brand of hockey and I'm fine with it. However, the more we can up the reward and tighten the risk, the better this team will be. The last two have, IMO, tightened the risk a lot. Both in the D Zone (and neutral zone) and by the goalies. 

If we can continue to tighten down the quality chances against, while still getting offense, and continue to get strong goalie play, we move from a playoff team to a cup contender. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, bluedevilcane said:

Uh, Pink Floyd recorded their best music in the 70’s (Dark Side of the Moon 1973). Roger Waters, the primary songwriter left the group in 1985.,The 4 original members last played at a world hunger benefit in 2005. Rick Wright, the keyboard player died in 2007. Not an 80’s band by a long shot and haven’t released original music since the turn of the century. Just sayin’.

No kidding Sherlock. But we were talking Music in the 80's. Floyd was still making great music. We weren't talking just about those short term groups who only lived and died in the 80's.