The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

Although it doesn't look like the Hurricanes are expected to make a major move the possibility of a trade exits.

This is the place to talk about trades and trade rumors as the deadline nears.

Not sure there is much more than speculation about this one but it does bring up the wider issue of are we looking to upgrade our blue line.

THE ATHLETIC: LeBrun also reports the Los Angeles Kings are open to dealing defenseman Alec Martinez, who’s signed through 2020-21 with a $4-million cap hit. The Carolina Hurricanes have internally discussed bringing a steadying presence to their blueline, but it would mean moving one of their rearguards to make room for Martinez.

35 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Not sure there is much more than speculation about this one but it does bring up the wider issue of are we looking to upgrade our blue line.

Gardiner and McKeown would be my choice as dangling 

Havent EXACTLY seen this reported but hear me out...

What if the Canes could trade Reimer for Lehner? We currently have three goalies with NHL contracts for next year. That has to be addressed at some point. 

By trading Reimer for Lehner 1. we get an improved goalie for a run 2. If he signs with us next year then great. If not we solved the goalie logjam coming next season (Mrazek and Ned). 3. Chicago gets a goalie for next year under contract plus whatever else is involved in the trade. 

I know theres lots of things that could be at play but it was widely reported in the off season we talked to Lehner and Mrazek during free agency. 

Thoughts?

I think you could put Duncan back there and it wouldn't matter. The system and execution of said system in front of the goalie is key. Some of these guys on the blue line are like swiss cheese.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

What if the Canes could trade Reimer for Lehner?

That is a big what if. His contract is expiring and I haven't seen anything about extension talks in Chicago yet so I suppose it is possible he will be available. Have you seen any rumors about the Blackhawks wanting to move him?

32 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Anyone not named Slavin, Hamilton or Pesce could probable be involved if we decide to go the trade route on D

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Lehner signed for $5 mil and in the latest interview stated that he is not going to take any discounts for the next contract.

Yeah I saw that and that he would be asking for $7 mil per next contract. Of course we could be looking only as far as this season and the playoff run

I'm not sure why they'd take Reimer though. Why would Chicago make that deal? I guess if we sweetened the pot maybe. 

With the caveat that my take on goalies' future play is about the same as a magic 8 ball, I'd be down with going after Lehner. I wanted him over Mrazek when it came down to the two. Mrazek has had simply magic games and has been very good for us, but Lehner is a legit #1 goalie IMO. 

This franchise has never really had a top 10 type goalie over more than a season, and Lehner is that so long as he's healthy. 

I'd even pay him $7 million/year so long as the term was no more than 4 years and no full NTC.  

Lehner has now put up .923 -.930 4 of the past 5 years with 3 different teams. He's currently the #9 goalie with a .923 save percentage playing for a pretty mediocre team in Chicago. He's also 24-13-7, vs Crawford's .906, 7-13-2, playing behind the same team. 

It is a sensitive subject but his health issues are a legit concern for a deal with no options out, but this is an elite goalie, he's 28, so really 4 years would be ideal. To me the risk is worth it because you put top goaltending on this team and we're going to be a legit cup contender for those years.

All of that said, I don't see it happening. We had a shot at him as a UFA and passed, and not sure Chicago makes the deal. 

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

We had a shot at him as a UFA and passed, and not sure Chicago makes the deal. 

I don’t think we really did...I bet we asked, but he scoffed cause he wanted a bigger market team like Chicago 

58 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If we add anything I think it's going to be a defenseman.  Get to work Donnie.

If said defensemen came with a pair of testicular ornaments it'd be great. Seen enough of the goalies getting poked and prodded this year. Their confidence is already shaky and we keep letting teams try to throw them off their game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

If said defensemen came with a pair of testicular ornaments it'd be great. Seen enough of the goalies getting poked and prodded this year. Their confidence is already shaky and we keep letting teams try to throw them off their game.

Hence why I think we should go after Borowiecki up in Ottawa

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

That is a big what if. His contract is expiring and I haven't seen anything about extension talks in Chicago yet so I suppose it is possible he will be available. Have you seen any rumors about the Blackhawks wanting to move him?

Yea Ive seen reports theyll move him if he doesnt sign and they may not want to pay him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

At this point i think it's a given the committee has little interest in McKeown in Raleigh so yeah, might as well dangle him in case anyone else has interest.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I don’t think we really did...I bet we asked, but he scoffed cause he wanted a bigger market team like Chicago 

My guess is we still werent sure he could sustain the save pct he had in NY. I remember a lot of talk about that around the NHL in general. Thus why I think he only got a 1 year in Chicago. My recollection of what went down (Im taking some liberties here):

We wanted to sign Petr before free agency. He wanted to test market. 

Free agency happens. Petr is talking to other teams. We dont want to risk not having a goalie. We talked to Lehner (this was reported). Im guessing he wanted term and that made us uneasy bc still some thought his performance in NY was a fluke. 

Petr didnt find what he wanted and came back to us. We signed Petr. 

(Im guessing) Lehner didnt find the term he wanted so he signed a one year with Chicago. 

Things can always change but I think hes proved hes the real deal at this point. Look how Samsonov played in front of WSH last night. We had several chances. He played out of his mind and kept us from getting anything. 

Edited by cane-addict-1
mistype

14 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

According to Russo, The Athletic’s beat writer for Minnesota, we are going hard after Brodin.

Another Wild rip off? See what I did there?

• Like 1

I cant find the source saying anything about us being interested but heres a writeup on Brodin

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/wild/2019-minnesota-wild-year-end-player-review-jonas-brodin/

18 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I think we need more than ornamental ones.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 1:19 PM, cane-addict-1 said:

Havent EXACTLY seen this reported but hear me out...

What if the Canes could trade Reimer for Lehner? We currently have three goalies with NHL contracts for next year. That has to be addressed at some point. 

By trading Reimer for Lehner 1. we get an improved goalie for a run 2. If he signs with us next year then great. If not we solved the goalie logjam coming next season (Mrazek and Ned). 3. Chicago gets a goalie for next year under contract plus whatever else is involved in the trade. 

I know theres lots of things that could be at play but it was widely reported in the off season we talked to Lehner and Mrazek during free agency. 

Thoughts?

My thought is that the Canes' more than likely said, "James, if you still believe in yourself and can put your money where your mouth is, you've got a job here this season and a chance to make a run at the Cup."

Outside of a fluky goal or two, the only time our keepers have looked truly awful to my eye is when our D hasn't shown up. Reimer's playoff numbers are good and while some may think of it as a negative that he has not been there as recently as Lehner, I think that at 31, he knows this is probably his last best shot. Lehner will be looking for a payoff deal, so to me renting a guy and shaking up the 'tending tandem that is working for a guy who is not going to be here next season holds greater risk than reward. 

• Like 1

While I do think that the committee never rests, I'll make the bold prediction that we don't make any moves around the deadline. The caveat: if Gardiner costs us more games or if Reimer spits the bit, or if we have a major injury. 

I just don't see who we move out. I would agree that this is not a perfect team. We could use a solid shut down D man, and I think we could use a top 10 goalie. But it's hard to see those moves actually panning out. Then we could use some grit and sandpaper, but again, with J Williams in the fold, who goes the other way? Maybe McGinn, but he's one of the few that we have that can lay a big hit, and even then we'd have too many forwards. 

I really think this team will get better mainly with our own prospects (or should), and baring injury, we have enough to make a run. Look, we need to get through the likes of Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto, etc, just to somehow get out of the East. This is not the time to mortgage the future. A small move maybe, but not even sure I see that.

If I were to bet on a move, it might be more of a seller move. Not an out of the playoffs seller move, but one that gets another high end prospect, like we got in Bokk for instance. But I say no move.

• Like 1