Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

Recommended Posts

One more thing. The combined positional ratings for cup contending teams shows the point about 2C also. NOt only that we don't have one, but how

important it is TO have one. The ratings across the lines for GSVA shows that the centers are the best players overall, but that the difference between center and winger on very good teams is biggest at 2C. Basically 2C's on very good teams are better than the first line LW, and substantially better than their winger linemates. 

 

Here are the GSVA scores for cup contending team's LW/Center/RW line one and line two:

 

2.15/3.06/2.93  (top line)

 

1.49/2.48/1.63  (second line)

 

The second line center is typically the third best forward on the team. The 1C is the best. 

 

2.48 average 2C on very good team:

Staal 1.3, Haula 1.1, Walmark 0.5*

 

*Staal and Haula are actually worse than their 3 year number, and Wallmark better**but still under Staal and Haula and not a 2C.

**Wallmark better because it's a 3 year number, and he's been better more recently. Staal and Haula worse for the reverse reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see Jordan being moved at the deadline, but maybe in the offseason. By all accounts he is happy here, but without a doubt, he came here to play with Eric, and Eric is not only gone, but also in a somewhat messy departure. The problem with moving Jordan is the contract. Everyone here or elsewhere would probably love him at $3 million, maybe even $4 million. But he’s not going to waive the NTC to go to a rebuilding team with 3 years left on his contract. And after all, he left a team almost guaranteed to contend for a Cup every year to come here (and win a Cup with Eric). And Pittsburgh offered him the same contract JR gave him. A top contending team would probably love to have Jordan as a 3rd line/checking center and penalty killer. I bet there are a few of those he’d waive the NTC to go to. But I don’t see it happening unless we retain salary. By definition, those types of teams are fighting the cap all the time. So, if he would waive, do we want Jordan at $6 million, or Jordan gone at the cost of $2 million plus in dead cap space for 3 years, but maybe $4 million to spend on someone else. Publicly, Rod loves the guy and doesn’t want him to leave. But maybe Rod sees the same thing that folks are posting here - that Jordan really doesn’t fit what this team needs. Or maybe, TD and DW won’t defer to Rod if there’s a deal to be made and Jordan will waive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to add if Jordan waives NTC to be traded somewhere then that other team will have to deal with that NTC also. Which might make that trade even less atteactive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe we need to let go of the thought of trading Staal. As much as it would benefit the team, only he will cause a trade by request. He is RB’s go to guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I believe we need to let go of the thought of trading Staal. As much as it would benefit the team, only he will cause a trade by request. He is RB’s go to guy.

I agree that it's probably not going to happen.  I think he has to be penciled in as the top checking line/PK guy.  Not sure why he is paired with Nino and Foegele and Haula is paired with McGinn and Williams.  I guess they think Williams is the best shot they have at scoring from Haula feeds.  Dzingel is a healthy scratch today, so that seems bothersome.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I agree that it's probably not going to happen.  I think he has to be penciled in as the top checking line/PK guy.  Not sure why he is paired with Nino and Foegele and Haula is paired with McGinn and Williams.  I guess they think Williams is the best shot they have at scoring from Haula feeds.  Dzingel is a healthy scratch today, so that seems bothersome.  

Official website says that Martinook is out with upper body and Dzingel is on a 4th line https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/projected-lineup-carolina-hurricanes-vegas-golden-knights/c-314801952

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the last few games, I hope it’s clear to the committee that status quo won’t get us to the playoffs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I disagree. It's not always pretty, but we've now won 5 of our last 7, 4 of which were home and 3 on the road. Win in Dallas, no guarantee I realize, and we're 6 for 8 and heading home for a couple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need more secondary scoring and a capable RHD.  
 

over the last 15 games the top 10 scorers: SAT line, Gardiner, Necas, Slavin, Foegele, Dzingel, Edmundson and Fleury.

 

Edmundson and Fleury are scoring where you would think he should be.  Foegele is right where he should be. Gardiner is in the plus side in expected scoring in the last 15. Dzingel is slightly below expected scoring.
 

Everyone else is awful over the last 15. Nino, Haula, Staal, etc getting 4 points or lower. Those three specifically have been bad the whole season overall for scoring. McGinn and Marty arent chipping in either.  
 

Nino, Haula, and Edmundson can go for all i care.  Would love to get some combination of JGP, DeMelo, Vantanen, and Palmieri.  
 

of course getting a better goalie than Mrazek would be great.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Nino, Haula, and Edmundson can go for all i care.  Would love to get some combination of JGP, DeMelo, Vantanen, and Palmieri.  

I’d see if Haula was interested in re-upping, albeit at a lower rate and shorter term 

 

Nino?  Thanks for last year...we still won that trade...but see ya.  Eddy?  Can we package him and get Borowiecki please!?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best guess is  if the canes are out of the playoff spot   come the trade deadline   , it is possible  the canes could move some pieces  for more draft picks , but nothing like  minnesota got . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I thought this might be a fun place to put this since it affects deadline deals and so few read the prospect area of the board.

 

The Pittsburgh trade of it's first rounder (in the Zucker/Galchenyuk trade) got me thinking of a new sort of index: Current Sum Power Ranking x Prospect Pool ranking x average age of core NHL team player. The lower the number the better. This is a way of looking at the projection of how good a team will be in the future. In short, we're good now, young now, and have a great farm system. Only a couple of teams can say all 3 of those things.

 

Almost every other really good team has a bad farm, or the good farm teams have a bad team.  

 

It is far too simple to say this means Carolina and Colorado dominate the next 5-7 years, but it would not be a bad bet. Anyways, here is a list of the bottom 5 teams in Wheeler's team farm systems a couple of notables, and us. You all know where these teams are in the standings, but it's mostly a who's who of most of the best teams right now, who have sold their development souls to win now.

 

31. Columbus.

30. Boston

29. Washington

28. Pittsburgh (that was before they traded another first round pick)

27. St Louis

24. NYI

21. Toronto

19. Tampa Bay

 

3. Carolina Hurricanes (before 4 picks in two rounds this next draft). 

 

There are a lot of factors that play into eventual success, but we are hitting the "draft and develop" thing pretty well, again, while still having a good young core that has yet to peak (especially Svech and Necas).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 You could  maybe say  the Canes  in the off season  got a little greedy    by getting Haula ,  Dzingle  , Gardiner   instead of  doing call ups for the season .   And now with williams back  but minus  hamilton  is could still work out in another fashion .     The Hurricanes  are  racing for a playoff spot   ,   but realistically  do they have what it takes to go far on talent and depth alone ?    maybe not  .     Nino  has reverted back to his style when he was with the wild ,   Hamilton is out ,  The goal tending of Mrazek and Reimer   are not stellar  ,  The defensive laps   has given teams the early lead ,   Dzingle   ,  Haula    rarely score  and are not as projected   how we thought this far in the season .   

 

I think what is best for the fans   is  we wait till the trade deadline    and see if the canes are still in a playoff spot  ,  If they are  then do nothing   ,   But if the canes find themselves out of a playoff spot    then start trading piece for more prospects  / draft picks .   and then  do some call ups .

 

who are on my trade block ? Dzingle  , Nino , Haula ,  Mcginn ,  Gardiner , Staal ,  Mrazek  , Edmundson  . 

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

 You could  maybe say  the Canes  in the off season  got a little greedy    by getting Haula ,  Dzingle  , Gardiner   instead of  doing call ups for the season .   And now with williams back  but minus  hamilton  is could still work out in another fashion .     The Hurricanes  are  racing for a playoff spot   ,   but realistically  do they have what it takes to go far on talent and depth alone ?    maybe not  .     Nino  has reverted back to his style when he was with the wild ,   Hamilton is out ,  The goal tending of Mrazek and Reimer   are not stellar  ,  The defensive laps   has given teams the early lead ,   Dzingle   ,  Haula    rarely score  and are not as projected   how we thought this far in the season .   

 

I think what is best for the fans   is  we wait till the trade deadline    and see if the canes are still in a playoff spot  ,  If they are  then do nothing   ,   But if the canes find themselves out of a playoff spot    then start trading piece for more prospects  / draft picks .   and then  do some call ups .

 

who are on my trade block ? Dzingle  , Nino , Haula ,  Mcginn ,  Gardiner , Staal ,  Mrazek  , Edmundson  . 

Better start working the phones. I don't see a good return on any of those guys. All fourth line, or under performing players. Don't know why anyone would give up any value for them.

Edited by caniac6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Better start working the phones. I don't see a good return on any of those guys. All fourth line, or under performing players. Don't know why anyone would give up any value for them.

More of why I really think we're pretty quiet at the deadline. The way this team gets going is that the guys currently on the roster start finding more game. It may be happening a little though. Necas, Dzingel, Haula, all with 2 points in last 3, Foegele with 3 points in last 4. 

 

Staal and Nino. If those two got back to averages, it would go far. But they are two that would be hard to trade (or potentially untradeable) and/or not return much. IMO if Staal and Nino get back their games it would also affect others, and the offense would lift.  Been waiting all year for that though. Still, it could happen.

 

I'm still watching Chicago. If they have a losing streak and Lehner is an option. Well I guess you all know my thoughts on that. Outside of that? Hard to see. I guess we're in rumors, so what do I know? The committee never sleeps. But I just have trouble seeing the move that makes sense. I guess I'll get it when it happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Better start working the phones. I don't see a good return on any of those guys. All fourth line, or under performing players. Don't know why anyone would give up any value for them.

There are high quality  pucks   we could get  for Staal  ,  as for Nino ,  maybe convince   minnesota   for him for Fila lmao 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

There are high quality  pucks   we could get  for Staal  ,  as for Nino ,  maybe convince   minnesota   for him for Fila lmao 

If we’re talking high quality PUCKS here, then you had better call JR, as he knows about trading for pucks (given his post 2009 trade record here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If we’re talking high quality PUCKS here, then you had better call JR, as he knows about trading for pucks (given his post 2009 trade record here).

Lmao   Exactly !   Pens might be interested in  getting Staaled  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

definitely some bad pre-season trades killing us. Between them and Nino there's $20m tied up in waste. Looked so good at the start of the season, so the guys are capable, but something isn't clicking in the org. Just hope DW has something up his sleeve...anything at this point to give us hope for NEXT Year. Also, Mrazek just needs to go or have him sit for 10 games and let Reimer prove himself some more. Good D or good goaltending, we need at least one of them 😕

Edited by donwalrus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, donwalrus said:

anything at this point to give us hope for NEXT Year

 

So 2 pts out of a Wildcard, 3pts out of 1st Wildcard and 5 pts out of third and we are throwing in the towel. I agree the team needs to do something in the trade market but at this point it is to compete for a playoff spot not retool for next season. That could change before trade deadline but right now I'm still looking at making the playoffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

So 2 pts out of a Wildcard, 3pts out of 1st Wildcard and 5 pts out of third and we are throwing in the towel. I agree the team needs to do something in the trade market but at this point it is to compete for a playoff spot not retool for next season. That could change before trade deadline but right now I'm still looking at making the playoffs

 

I am teetering on the verge of sell now.  

 

the SAT line is great and has carried the team since Dougie went down with some sprinkled in help from Foegele, Necas, and Gardiner.  The rest of have been boat anchors.  5 of them are trying to push the boat along with all them anchors.  And the 6th one, well, makes as many game changing mistakes, if not more, than he makes plays.  

 

Unless our secondary scoring decides to actually score at a .4 to .5 ppg pace and/or the goalies start playing out of their minds, we are basically going to continue this mediocre track that Rod hates so much.  Still plenty of time but its hard staying in the positive seeing the team's trends.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...