The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I wonder  if things go from bad to worse  that it is possible   Tom Dundon   would pull a  David Tepper ? 

What is a 'David Tepper'?  I just had to look him up to see who he was.

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

What is a 'David Tepper'?  I just had to look him up to see who he was.

To fires coaches   , hire one for 7 years  65 mill  and  go with what looks to be a total rebuild   for the Carolina Panthers . 

21 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Have you seen the Chex play?  If so, how does Kaski compare to Priske?  Both RD, Kaski is a year older, a bit bigger, and since joining the Chex has scored at about the same rate as Priske but with a lot more of his points being goals.  

Nope just going off the stat sheet. I didn't know about Kaski. I guess my idea is still propelled by the hype from back when we signed Priskie that he was so NHL ready. Either way I'm surprised we haven't called up any of our highly touted Checkers D since Dougie went down. 

22 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Have you seen the Chex play?  If so, how does Kaski compare to Priske?  Both RD, Kaski is a year older, a bit bigger, and since joining the Chex has scored at about the same rate as Priske but with a lot more of his points being goals.  

According to Wheeler of The Athletic, Priskie is a better all around player but Kaski offense is stronger. He shot is a cannon. 

I agree totally with thickburglar on the Checkers point.

But, a lot could change in the next week. We likely need to win 4 of the next 5 to stay in the hunt. If we come up short, we will likely move into the category of sellers. That may not be the worst thing. We have numerous areas that need upgrading and clearly this is not our year. And, it would be great to audition some of the Checkers...Gauthier, Kuokannen, Bean, Priskie, and Nedeljovic, come to mind. Let's see what they can do in the bigs. We could try to jettison Haula, TVR, Dzingel, maybe Edmundson, and possibly one of our tenders, for picks and prospects. That would clear the necessary cap room to add the key pieces we will need for next season -  a #1 Goalie and an major infusion of offence.

23 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Seems like Rod is only just starting to trust Fleury, despite him apparently playing reasonably well for awhile now (I say "apparently" since I've been stuck listening to games this season rather than watching them).  So I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Rod to play someone with no NHL experience.

2 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Stupid question: when it's time? Not that I don't agree with the quotes, but in general? One case I see it is when it's clear a team is not making playoffs. But as for Canes, especially this year - it's not time in the beginning of the season because we are trying to built chemistry having new faces, it's not now because we are afraid to break chemistry and pushing for playoffs... But time flies for the AHLers! Really, what's good time/circumstances to get NHL experience? 

I honestly don't know.  In another post I mentioned that I thought integrating our yutes would be a critical but tricky endeavor going forward.  Seems like if the organization could continually refresh part of the team with good, young, cost controlled talent, it would be the best way to remain long term Cup contenders without entering into Cap hell.   But how do you do that when not many of even our best prospects will present as clearly as an Aho or Svech?

• Like 1

Fleury is getting more playing time with the Dougie injury. But he is still getting the least of everyone by far since Dougie's been out. I guess just get some ice time, but I don't seem a lot of negative from Fleury to keep him off the ice

With our depth up front the way for a Checker to get up here is injury. Fortunately overall, we've been pretty healthy up front. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Fleury is getting more playing time with the Dougie injury. But he is still getting the least of everyone by far since Dougie's been out. I guess just get some ice time, but I don't seem a lot of negative from Fleury to keep him off the ice

With our depth up front the way for a Checker to get up here is injury. Fortunately overall, we've been pretty healthy up front. 

He is getting recognition from the staff and now the broadcast booth. Maybe he will turn the corner.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

He is getting recognition from the staff and now the broadcast booth. Maybe he will turn the corner.

Personally I think he's been solid all year, but his game is elevating with regular NHL ice time. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Its also important to remember they have Cindy and Malkin. Pretty easy to make complimentary trades when you have those 2. You are just about a lock to make the playoffs from day one of every season. Which brings me back to my point we have 3 guys on the roster now and another one in Charlotte who have that potential. I would say Aho will top out around a Malkin type player and Svech could get to Cindy's level if not higher. As for Gauthier and Necas its still to be determined. So you dont mortgage to future for a run this year and you dont start dumping talented core guys for futures just yet. We know Nino has more and we think Dzingle and Gardiner have more. We can make a move if it fills a need and gives us some term. But we shouldnt just start dumping guys and bringing up Checkers because we think its time for them to get some NHL experience  

As I said, the Pens and Canes are in completely different places.  We strive to get where they are.  Obviously the Canes won't be making any

major moves when they're not even above the cutoff line.  They may get a defenseman but that's about it.  Svechnikov is very good, but not a

generational talent like Crosby.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MidnightAngel said:

Svechnikov is very good, but not a

generational talent like Crosby.

Hes 19, I think it's a little early to declare that

20 hours ago, CanesTR said:

I agree totally with thickburglar on the Checkers point.

But, a lot could change in the next week. We likely need to win 4 of the next 5 to stay in the hunt. If we come up short, we will likely move into the category of sellers. That may not be the worst thing. We have numerous areas that need upgrading and clearly this is not our year. And, it would be great to audition some of the Checkers...Gauthier, Kuokannen, Bean, Priskie, and Nedeljovic, come to mind. Let's see what they can do in the bigs. We could try to jettison Haula, TVR, Dzingel, maybe Edmundson, and possibly one of our tenders, for picks and prospects. That would clear the necessary cap room to add the key pieces we will need for next season -  a #1 Goalie and an major infusion of offence.

I don’t know if we need to win 4 out of 5 to stay in the hunt, but we can’t lose 4 out of 5. We’re in 9th, 2 points behind Philly and Columbus, and have one magic bean on Philly and 2 on Columbus. Columbus has been resilient beyond belief, but they just lost Seth Jones for the foreseeable future - that’s pretty much tantamount to our losing Hamilton. They also lost Atkinson for 2-3 weeks. If we do unload any of the players you mentioned, I think it would be to clear cap space and to give some of the youngsters a look. We already have 2 firsts and 2 seconds this year, and a farm system bursting with prospects. Not sure anyone on your list would bring back better than a 3rd (Dzingel might if someone believes he’s just having an off season), and we don’t really need more low round draft picks. 

If anything, I see us adding at the deadline if we are above the cut line or within 2-4 points. I do think some players will be moved, and probably from your list, in the offseason. For all the criticism of Faulk, maybe deserved in some ways, our D has not been the same since swapping he and deHaan for Gardner and Edmundson, and that was even before we lost Hamilton. My suspicion is one of our goalies will not be back, and who knows what else we might do. DW and Rod don’t seem to want to add more than one or two prospects to the team each year, but we are getting close to use ‘em or lose ‘em with several promising Checkers. I hate to say it, but if this team makes the playoffs, I don’t see that it is constructed for as deep a run as last year. Whether it’s trades or promotion of Checkers, I think next year’s team will look different and more than just a little. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:03 PM, Canesfanforever said:

I wonder  if things go from bad to worse  that it is possible   Tom Dundon   would pull a  David Tepper ? 

Nope, ridiculous thought. Dundon has expressed abundant confidence with Brind'Amour, and recall how Brindy warned him right at 1st? Can't see that happening this year. Off season moves have not panned out, plain and simple, so back to the drawing boards for Waddell.

• Like 1

Devils were having a garage sale yesterday:

Greene to Islanders and Coleman to Tampa.

Hockey gurus, please comment, especially on Coleman: is the price right (prospect and the 1st pick)?

On 2/15/2020 at 2:49 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Nope, ridiculous thought. Dundon has expressed abundant confidence with Brind'Amour, and recall how Brindy warned him right at 1st? Can't see that happening this year. Off season moves have not panned out, plain and simple, so back to the drawing boards for Waddell.

Pretty much agree, though the basic sketch looks good.  With a core of Slavin, Pesce, TT, and Aho signed for years that is a great start.  They need to be able to write checks to Svechnikov and Hamilton.  There is a core of young players starting with Necas about to establish themselves, so they need to fill in the pieces.  Some physical players are needed and some money must be freed up to write the 2 above mentioned checks.  Letting go of Gardiner and NN would be helpful (assuming Staal in not tradable).  Doubt they will look to add any big names at deadline.

48 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Hockey gurus, please comment, especially on Coleman: is the price right (prospect and the 1st pick)?g

Not saying I'm a guru, especially about non Canes. Coleman is an interesting one though. He's a late bloomer, but is having a bit of a breakout year. He's a versatile forward who is on pace for 30 goals and had 22 last year, and has one more year on a very cheap $1.8M contract. That has a lot of appeal for a team like Tampa. Also, Tampa really has to do something this year, and pretty much has to be thinking that their pick will be late first rounder. 

All of that said, it really depends on if Coleman is really a 30 goal guy or not. He is not a playmaker at all. If he's more of a 22 goal guy, I think it's an overpayment. But Tampa is proabably one of a handful of teams in a position where overpayment for the now is probably not the worst thing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Pretty much agree, though the basic sketch looks good.  With a core of Slavin, Pesce, TT, and Aho signed for years that is a great start.  They need to be able to write checks to Svechnikov and Hamilton.  There is a core of young players starting with Necas about to establish themselves, so they need to fill in the pieces.  Some physical players are needed and some money must be freed up to write the 2 above mentioned checks.  Letting go of Gardiner and NN would be helpful (assuming Staal in not tradable).  Doubt they will look to add any big names at deadline.

While i understand  the reason to re-sign  McGinn  in not losing him for nothing  and him being a  " useful "  bottom 6  pk guy / same for Staal .   I do think both players hold the team back offensively  , and  if their roles are to just put up pk minuets  then  why keep them if they are the ones serving the pk instead of killing it ?  Staal contract is the worst  for the canes thanks to jim rutherford .   The outcome of the season  to me at least is  the canes will have a hard time getting or staying in a playoff spot  when the goal tending for the team is below average .  Just to many things to bring up in this post .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, Caniac514 said:

Hockey gurus, please comment, especially on Coleman: is the price right (prospect and the 1st pick)?

Its a bit high.  Coleman is an advanced stat darling and a great sticker price. A good defensive prospect in Foote and Vancouver’s first seems high.

If that is the market, sell off Dzingel and Haula quickly.  

• Like 2

OK, I know that the team is supposedly focused on D. And for a playoff run, that makes some sense. Also that is a rental that could make sense if the price is low. 

But just as big of a problem IMO is our lack of production from 2C/3C. (I've listed the stats elsewhere). If Haula gets back on his game, that would go away, but lack of secondary scoring from Staal, Nino and goals from Dzingel add to Haula's recent issues. 

So one move would be to trade a forward plus, to get a 2C that we could keep for at least one more year, or even possibly rent (I hate renting right now though). Even if Haula gets back on his horse offensively, it is hard to see us keeping him, so the need at 2C will still be there next year. (I really think Necas is the 2C of the future, but probably not next year). 

So, in that light, I tried to set out criterion for a top 2C, and then searched NHL.com to see who might be available. I skipped guys I thought had no chance of being traded. I'm sure I included guys who also have no chance of being traded, but I had to start somewhere. 

Top of the line 2Cs score 21 goals, 53 points. So at last around that range adjusted for games played.

Here is a starting list:

Johnathan Marchessault: Vegas. Probably not available.

Eric Staal: Minnesota. Really? Yes he still checks the 2C box on points. He is well on the wrong side of +/- though. 

Phillip Danault: MTL. (Probably not available, but perfect contract and playmaker)

Nick Schmaltz: We were once rumored to be in on him, probably not available.

Jean-Gabreal Pageau. OTT. Rumored available.

That's it. There are a bunch of players in the points range, but so obviously not trade deadline deals. There are likely guys on the rise below the level that would be good picks, but hard to get. Bottom line is that 2C's are not usually that available, and not cheap to get.

The one guy on that list (besides Staal) who is available: Jean-Gabriel Pageau.  So kick the tires on that maybe? 

BTW, one other guy: although he's playing wing, he's listed as center and his numbers are already high end 2C: who? Martin Necas.

• Like 1

OK on reset Pageau is a goal scorer. He's having a break out year, in a contract year, and as rental, he could make sense for someone, but I just think we need a guy who can get other guys going if we are to go rental (which is a generally bad idea). Pageau has only 14 assists and I set the bottom end at 20 at this point and the hight end at 30. This is not a playmaker. 

So, really I don't see a rental outside a of Wild and crazy stab at E. Staal. (see what I did there)? I think that has about .001% chance of happening. 

So, really really, I don't see the move at center. If it's there I'll be happy, but I can't see it. 

Haula needs to find his game, and Staal and Nino too.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

OK on reset Pageau is a goal scorer. He's having a break out year, in a contract year, and as rental, he could make sense for someone, but I just think we need a guy who can get other guys going if we are to go rental (which is a generally bad idea). Pageau has only 14 assists and I set the bottom end at 20 at this point and the hight end at 30. This is not a playmaker. 

So, really I don't see a rental outside a of Wild and crazy stab at E. Staal. (see what I did there)? I think that has about .001% chance of happening. 

So, really really, I don't see the move at center. If it's there I'll be happy, but I can't see it. 

Haula needs to find his game, and Staal and Nino too.

I would love Marchassault if we could get our hands on him rem?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I would love Marchassault if we could get our hands on him rem?

No, not at the deadline. Really a pipe dream. I had to include some names to make the list, but he also has a M NMC. Scratch him off.