The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

51 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

...our inconsistency isn’t worth moving futures to add to an inconsistent bunch.  Even more so when our needs are expensive ones.  

I think you boiled it down into the perfect nugget.

I think we're open to a hockey trade, but that's probably about it. Sure we could try to find a cheap piece, but if we get an also ran type guy for a third rounder, what would be the point? 

Odds are we do nothing IMO. Second most likely a hockey trade. Third, a small move. Fourth, we rent Lehner (less likely with Mrazek playing a bit better). But my money is on nothing. 

19 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Well, the Prom King is generally the good looking captain of the football team, not the average looking contributor to the high school paper.

Its all about the date.  They can vary widely.  Happiness comes in many packages.  LOL

• Like 1

So...how many of you REALLY think we will make the playoffs with the current roster with this schedule upcoming?

51E30ECA-72FD-4928-950D-317F055171DD.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So...how many of you REALLY think we will make the playoffs with the current roster with this schedule upcoming?

Am I reading that right?  4 Boston dates, 3 Pittsburgh dates, a St. Louis date, 2 Islander dates?  Whose brilliant design was that?

To answer your question, my mantra is that the Canes, and any team, can beat any team any night of the schedule.  There are not too many gimmees, and the Canes do not capitalize on the weaker teams anyway, so it's not the schedule that is of issue.  What counts is that even IF the Canes rise to the occasion and squirm into the post season as a #7 or 8 seed, they don't have the make up to survive a 1st round match up against a #1 or 2 seed.  

Thus, the Canes should do what is best for them at this deadline in order to best improve their outlook for being a team that can go deep into the playoffs next season.  I would like to see them get their financial pic in a position where extending both Svechnikov and Hamilton is within reason.  I would like to see them give Ned, Gauthier, and their young Dmen a shot if decent offers come in for guys like NN, Petr, and Gardiner.  Those type of moves would be the positive steps I would support, not going out and mortgaging the future to add someone who might get them into the playoffs and help them get 1 extra win in a losing cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Well, the Prom King is generally the good looking captain of the football team, not the average looking contributor to the high school paper.

But this isnt the prom this is the NHL. Where just last year the top teams in the east (Wash, Pitt, and TB) didnt get out of the first round and the west and the while championship was won by a team that had the worst record in the league at the start of the new year.

All you gotta do is get in

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

See, to me, that's the rub Derailed, I just don't feel they have that extra gear this year? I hope I'm wrong as a 2nd straight year of playoffs would be phenomenal, but that 3rd period "killer instinct" has to my eyes not come to pass like I sensed last year. Couple that with the downright brutal schedule that awaits in March, and its a tough, not completely impossible, row to hoe? Sure wish we could pick up some secondary scoring? 

But that's my point, it's not going to take an extra gear. The BJ' without Jones are in a free fall (worse the us without Dougie), the Isles are sliding and Philly is Philly. 2 weeks ago I think we all agreed it would take winning 2 of every 3 to make it in but if this last weeks trend continues it very well may only take .500 hockey 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

A few weeks ago I would have said no, but have you been watching the teams around us? Everyone including the 2 teams from the Atlantic (Leafs, Panthers) around us are struggling so are the Caps. Basically everyone in the playoff race besides Pit, Boston, and Tampa are really in slumps right now.

The 1st step to winning is EXPECTING to win.  TRYING to win is the 1st step to losing.

Wait what?  

Gauthier traded to NYR for Joey Keane????  Who is that?

Keane is 20 and apparently a pretty good D prospect.  But why?

Edited by ironman87

5 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Wait what?  

Gauthier traded to NYR for Joey Keane????  Who is that?

Keane is 20 and apparently a pretty good D prospect.  But why?

🤯

YGTBSM!

It’s official: doesn’t matter what you do in Charlotte to prove you deserve a shot in Raleigh...

HORRIBLE TRADE!

Edited by AWACSooner

Follow up rant:

Why are we making trades that help put teams in OUR OWN DIVISION?

Fox, Goat...who’s next to the Rags?

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

t’s official: doesn’t matter what you do in Charlotte to prove you deserve a shot in Raleigh...

I expect this was more like,  they saw what they needed to from Goat(not enough) and traded for a promising RHD.

Its a PROSPECT trade.

Edited by cc
  • Like 1

Doing a little twitter reading, it doesn't seem like the Rangers fans are happy about this one.  That tells me this may be a better trade than I originally thought...  Still, I thought we were stacked for D depth in the minors.  Keane is 20, Gauther is 22, that could be part of it.

Guess we'll get to see if Julien's any good with a real shot. I trust that the team knew what they had and something about the kid was never going to work here. They were so far right about the other prospects they moved on from last off-season.

• Like 2

From an earlier article. While Gauthier produced at the AHL level, the team had concerns that he could translate that production to the NHL level and not be a defensive liability.

In Keane, the Hurricanes added another puck-moving defenseman and a former teammate of star winger Andrei Svechnikov — Keane and Svechnikov played for the OHL’s Barrie Colts during the 2017-18 season, along with Carolina’s 2019 first round pick, Ryan Suzuki

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whaler1 said:

Just a prospect trade or is there something else in the works involving a Canes D-man?

You might be on to something ,   Honka   , Puistola  , and a few others  might be coming soon to the checkers  and  with so many prospects  down there it is possible  Bean or Priskie could get a call up . 

Some possible "whys: (Cory Lavalette) … Goat would have to clear waivers next season. Kean doesn't have to for another 2 years. Also doesn't have to be protected during the expansion draft.

• Like 1

Well didn’t see that one coming. I’m assuming this doesn’t really help this year’s team, and would seem to shut the door on expecting much in terms of forward call ups this season. Gotta think Priskie isn’t thrilled at the moment. 

In in the end I’m guessing the brass didn’t like Goat’s one dimensional game. But it sure would have been nice to have seen him in some NHL games before bailing on him.

I guess it works if Kean has big upside,  but after following a guy like goat For so long, it’s a bit disappointing not to get to see him in action here.

• Like 2

Gauthier has 26 goals 11 assists and a +/-  of -5.   That's pretty good and he's only 22 years old.  I guess if you haven't made it to the show by the age of 20 you get kicked to the curb.   I hope he does well for the Ranger's organization.   Having heard a couple of his interviews in the past he seems like a nice young man.   Good Luck !!

I thought we had enough D-men but that's probably why no one has called me for my input.  Maybe something else is on the back burner but for now this trade makes no sense to me   Whatever !!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

Gauthier has 26 goals 11 assists and a +/-  of -5.   That's pretty good and he's only 22 years old.  I guess if you haven't made it to the show by the age of 20 you get kicked to the curb.   I hope he does well for the Ranger's organization.   Having heard a couple of his interviews in the past he seems like a nice young man.   Good Luck !!

I thought we had enough D-men but that's probably why no one has called me for my input.  Maybe something else is on the back burner but for now this trade makes no sense to me   Whatever !!

This is a head scratch-er to say the least.. If there is nothing going on behind the scene, this stinks....

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

But it sure would have been nice to have seen him in some NHL games before bailing on him.

THIS

• Like 1

https://www.nhl.com/capitals/video/gauthier-goes-high-with-snapper/t-277437440/c-52895103 I'll just leave this here. Speed, dangles, and snipes. This was preseason 2017 so the Goat was 19.

This looks like a positive move for Gauthier's career. He was ready to make the NHL leap but we couldn't provide that, especially after signing Willy. 

I hope the Francis model of stockpiling and developing D continues to work for us. Having another great RHD prospect can't hurt, even if he's not making our roster Keane might be a better trade chip than a power forward (although watch that highlight and you might forget goat is a power forward type). Plus we now have the top D pairing in the AHL, Keane and Bean! 

• Like 1