The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

From TheHockeyNews on Keane (I don't know how much faith to put in these scouting reports, but . . .)

Scouting Report
A very athletic rearguard, he can log a ton of minutes due to outstanding mobility and overall skating ability. Moves the puck well and displays good offensive acumen, too.  Is a little undersized for the National Hockey League game, so he will need to get stronger in order to prove he can handle bigger, more talented opponents at the highest level.
Long Range Potential:
Mobile, puck-moving defenseman with upside.
Edited by LakeLivin

I hope that there’s some kind of private agreed to deal in this trade and not just how it was released. I agree it would have been great watching him for a season and seeing what he had. Looking at our lines now he could have earned 12 minutes a game. 

Scratching my head, but if The Committee doesn't see Goat's game translating to the Canes, and they're right, maybe this is a rare case of selling high?

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Scratching my head, but if The Committee doesn't see Goat's game translating to the Canes, and they're right, maybe this is a rare case of selling high?

Selling "high", not sure? Seeing the blurb, "a little undersized for the National Hockey League" send shivers down my spine?

36 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

From TheHockeyNews on Keane (I don't know how much faith to put in these scouting reports, but . . .)

Scouting Report
A very athletic rearguard, he can log a ton of minutes due to outstanding mobility and overall skating ability. Moves the puck well and displays good offensive acumen, too.  Is a little undersized for the National Hockey League game, so he will need to get stronger in order to prove he can handle bigger, more talented opponents at the highest level.
Long Range Potential:
Mobile, puck-moving defenseman with upside.

Sounds like Ryan Murphy.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Selling "high", not sure? Seeing the blurb, "a little undersized for the National Hockey League" sent shivers down my spine? Possibly if the Ranger fans are displeased, there may be a ray of hope that he has something special?

Granted i've only made it to a couple Chex games this season, but i did see quite a few last season and truthfully, even with the production i never saw much about Gauthier that stood out to me - kind of like despite their production, neither Boychuk nor Terry ever stood out to me either.  He obviously wasn't in the team's plans going forward else he would have gotten another look or two.  Kind of a ho-hum trade to me, really.

37 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Selling "high", not sure? Seeing the blurb, "a little undersized for the National Hockey League" send shivers down my spine?

I'm not sure either.  But as Legend (I think) said, the Committee has been right so far about how 2 other proficient AHL scorers would fare in the NHL (Zykov and Saarela).  I'm not saying they did sell high, just that it's possible it could turn out to be that way.  Only time will tell.  

25 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Sounds like Ryan Murphy.

Keane is 6'0" 187 lbs at 20 yo.  Not Chara, but certainly not Murphy-esque, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

Some comments from Rangers fans on another board.  If both fanbases aren't happy, might be a sign of a legitimate hockey trade?

• "Jeff Gorton most likely lost another trade."
  • "I hate this trade. My day is ruined."
  • "Wow. Keane is rocking as a rookie D. Thought he was a keeper?"
  • "I’m very high on Keane, I think he could be a 4-5 OFD who can move the puck well at ES and get PP time going forward. Very good skater with a good mind for the game, Carolina got one of my favorite prospects in our system. He almost made the WJC team last year, got to the final cut. I think he’ll be a solid NHL’er."
  • "I've also seen Keane enough times to know he's pretty much the quintessential new NHL defenseman. He's not going to impress anyone physically and it's still possible his frame holds him back from playing in the NHL but his skating (especially edgework) and hockey sense are already NHL caliber."

Other Rags fans noted that their right side D is set for the immediate future so there was no place for Keane to go, and from that perspective, the trade made a lot of sense.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

One other element I've just now read, and it is a bit intriguing, see where LA might want a D prospect and a pick for Martinez. Could that be an underlying motive?

Goat has already been issued jersey #12 for the Rangers, so it looks like he may see NHL action right away. 

edit: just read that Goat is joining the Rangers on their 2 game road trip to Chicago and  . . . Carolina.  So I guess those who've been wanting to see Goat at PNC might get their wish? :P 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

One other element I've just now read, and it is a bit intriguing, see where LA might want a D prospect and a pick for Martinez. Could that be an underlying motive?

So give em our third rounder and Gardiner...there’s your pick and prospect 

• Like 1

Never was a fan of Gauthier, I think the problem with him is between the ears. I could be wrong though as I haven’t seen him play lately.

Getting another D prospect is a bit of a head scratcher but you can never have enough I guess. I’m pretty sure TVR’s time in Carolina is coming to an end.

57 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

So I guess those who've been wanting to see Goat at PNC might get their wish? 

Goat meat is enjoyed well in North Carolina.

Very Healthy.

image.thumb.png.bd2da198929a505da6dbf034631b4844.png

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Well we won’t get Martinez...looks like he’s headed to Vegas 

Well there you go. Thought I, for once, might nail a trade but nooooooo. Don't know why I don't learn to just be patient and let the cards fall where they may? Besides I have professed that No Trade is the best course at this time.I just get sucked in repeatedly, and this has been our MO it seems thru 3 GMs.

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, beboplar said:

Sounds like Ryan Murphy.

55 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

My thoughts exactly and I couldn't stand watching Murphy on the ice.

Keane is listed at 6'0".  Just off the top of my head I looked up: Charlie McAvoy 6'0", Cale Makar 5'11", and Adam Fox 5'10".  I think the makeup of effective NHL d-men is changing from the big lugs whose primary skill was hitting people.  Not saying Keane is in the same class as those guys, but at 20yo who knows where he'll end up? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

It just might get interesting

86696028_830262584141055_1026102209961525248_n.jpg

Almost everyone on the NHL Network has said over the past 3 weeks of more the canes need to get big and physical.  Weeks said canes need a young Lucic type player or a Tom Wison.