The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

25 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

Almost everyone on the NHL Network has said over the past 3 weeks of more the canes need to get big and physical.  Weeks said canes need a young Lucic type player or a Tom Wison.  

*cough* Gauthier *cough* 

Just now, bluedevil58 said:

Cough Ferland cough.

You mean Mr Concussion, who is currently shut down for the season?

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Cough Ferland cough.

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You mean Mr Concussion, who is currently shut down for the season?

Don't discourage him, he's on a roll, lol.  Ferland can share ice time with Erik Karlsson.  :P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lordgreedo said:

Anyone see the Reimer Fleury for Blackwood Vatanen trade? Saw it on Facebook for a second then it was gone. Anyone know anything...

3 minutes ago, Lordgreedo said:

I think we also had a first round pick going to NJ. 

Oh HELL NO!

• Like 1

So I guess since Gauthier was going to have to clear waivers next year, and would almost certainly have been claimed, this sort of lets us get someone with some upside. As with all of these prospect things, only time will tell I guess. I always love the idea that it could be the first part of another deal, but it just so rarely ever is. It's kind of anticlimactic though since we will probably have to wait longer to find out what that pick ends up turning into.

9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

So...how many of you REALLY think we will make the playoffs with the current roster with this schedule upcoming?

51E30ECA-72FD-4928-950D-317F055171DD.png

I'll roll the dice.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

So I guess since Gauthier was going to have to clear waivers next year, and would almost certainly have been claimed, this sort of lets us get someone with some upside. As with all of these prospect things, only time will tell I guess. I always love the idea that it could be the first part of another deal, but it just so rarely ever is. It's kind of anticlimactic though since we will probably have to wait longer to find out what that pick ends up turning into.

OK, he was going to have to clear waivers.  Is there something wrong with the concept of actually having a 1st round power forward who has paid his dues and is blossoming actually play for the team?

2 hours ago, Lordgreedo said:

Anyone see the Reimer Fleury for Blackwood Vatanen trade? Saw it on Facebook for a second then it was gone. Anyone know anything...

vatanen presently hurt, and not sure for what and how long?

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

OK, he was going to have to clear waivers.  Is there something wrong with the concept of actually having a 1st round power forward who has paid his dues and is blossoming actually play for the team?

Not to me. I wanted to get a look at him. I'm just reading and reacting to speculation about the trade. Looking to next year, I'm thinking Williams isn't back, maybe Haula. Gauthier came close to making the team out of camp. He's at the top of the AHL in goals. 

For whatever reason, the Canes didn't want to have to put him on the team or have to waive him. 

I'm guessing his defensive game and his fairly low situational team game. Maybe it was more. If he hadn't come on this year, I'd be fine with it, but I guess we'll get to see what he becomes. 

Pronman on the Athletic likes Goat better than the D prospect but added that he does think he's an NHL defenseman with offensive upside, so maybe we end up with the better player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Not to me. I wanted to get a look at him. I'm just reading and reacting to speculation about the trade. Looking to next year, I'm thinking Williams isn't back, maybe Haula. Gauthier came close to making the team out of camp. He's at the top of the AHL in goals. 

For whatever reason, the Canes didn't want to have to put him on the team or have to waive him. 

I'm guessing his defensive game and his fairly low situational team game. Maybe it was more. If he hadn't come on this year, I'd be fine with it, but I guess we'll get to see what he becomes. 

Pronman on the Athletic likes Goat better than the D prospect but added that he does think he's an NHL defenseman with offensive upside, so maybe we end up with the better player. 

It's hard for us fans to know what the heck is going on here.  We have a whole shopping aisle of defensive prospects to the point that guys like McKeown and Priskie will probably run for the hills at their first opportunity.  My vision of how this team takes the next step clearly includes not only one but two power forwards.  Luckily, until today, the team had invested several years in the development of one of those two in house.  They have to be thinking about the expansion draft or something like that, because the Canes seem like they took a step in the opposite direction from where they have to travel to be a real "contenda".

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

vatanen presently hurt, and not sure for what and how long?

He hasn't played since he blocked a shot against Dallas on February 1st.  The Devils put him on IR last Thursday, the 13th.  So, I don't know.

I would rather bring back a guy like Hainsey.

5 hours ago, MidnightAngel said:

He hasn't played since he blocked a shot against Dallas on February 1st.  The Devils put him on IR last Thursday, the 13th.  So, I don't know.

I would rather bring back a guy like Hainsey.

Not I, he was good while here but that's done and he's the antithesis of "speed kills".

My guess is that we'll go with the "self rental" again (ala Ferland), and just keep Haula . Then following the season, we will part ways. 

Any report on Fleury from last night? I happened to catch that part of the game where he went down awkwardly. 

16 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

My guess is that we'll go with the "self rental" again (ala Ferland), and just keep Haula . Then following the season, we will part ways. 

Any report on Fleury from last night? I happened to catch that part of the game where he went down awkwardly. 

canes have on their instagram a video of the boys meeting their moms outside the locker room.  Fleury was on there with no limp or assisting equipment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Later today on twitter   or facebook  it will be announced if there is anything wrong with Fleury .