The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Maybe McGinn, but he's one of the few that we have that can lay a big hit, and even then we'd have too many forwards. 

People keep putting McGinn on the trade block(not talking about you rem), but as much as Brindy seems to fawn over him from time to time, I just don't see this happening? I just can't se a trade taking place, but I continue to see needing more grit. Of course this is a never ending complaint.

• Like 1

Trade Nino back to MIN for Brodin. 

(Rask for Nino) + (Nino for Brodin) = Rask for Brodin

For all you mathemetizers out there that = WINNING

AWAC Sooner says - Gardiner and McKeown would be my choice as dangling 

Those are my 2 choices also.   I like McGinn.   He is a good 4th liner and brings a lot grit to the ice.   McGinn - Matinook - Niederreiter could look pretty good on the 4th line in my book. 

I also hate the Metro.   Our old division years back was a bit weak.   Now it seems we can't get ahead even though we have a good team.    Right now we are sort of maintaining and dang this makes me nervous.   We need to put several wins together.   Win or Lose however....I sure enjoy the heck out of watching this team.  But I sleep better when we win. 

• Like 1

I can't see McKeown or Gardiner having much value.  McKeown wasn't wanted when passed through waivers at the start of the season, and he hasn't had a chance to show that he might be able to contribute at the NHL level since then.  Gardiner hasn't shown he can revert back to what he was before he hurt his back last season and is locked into a 4 year contract. 

9 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

And now we might need to find a proven offensive defenceman if Dougie's injury is serious ((((

We have a few in Charlotte that might be ready...Jake Bean for starters 

• Like 1

Likelihood this injury brings about a trade? I expect one at this point. 

Also Lebrun is saying if Lehner makes it to free agency we make a push. Id like to get him sooner. Our goalies are average, yes. But theyve been costing us games lately. 

• Like 2

I'd  prefer to get a solid Dman over a goalie at this point. When our D plays good and limits point blank grade A chances our goalies are fine. Yes there have been times when both goalies have let in some cheapos but our D has been under performing for much of the season. I have no problem with Fleury but Gards overall is not what we need. Gards is a defensive liability and isnt offering what was expected from the O perspective. I still think Slavin and Pesce have the ability to add more O to make up for Dougie's absence.

I think the Borg is going to have to do something with D now that Dougie is out.  He and Slavin are the 2 on the team that are leaned on the most (far different reasons).

I think the Borg has been trying to offload Gardiner for some time, according to reports, with no luck.  But I think they have to do something on D, and quick.  If the offense can't pick it up several notches and take up some slack, not good.  Not to mention neither of our goalies have yet proved they can steal games.

15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

to offload Gardiner for some time, according to reports, with no luck.

coastal, or anyone, where do I look to find reports like this because try as I might, I can never seem to get in on them. Specifically with regards to this player, I have seen him save more than 1 goal, and he did so last night? Now granted, these few gems like that don't seem to offset his faux pas, but on the other hand, where might they show up in his personal stats?

Further with regards to this specific player(Gardiner), is it fair to concern ourselves over the fact that he OPTED to sign with the Canes this past off season? I know a team and specifically a GM must do what needs to be done to maximize chances for a playoff run, but in the past and likely still, we seem to have so few players in his UFA status that have Carolina on the radar? And I'm just asking because IDK, but should the team show "good faith" in someone who wants to come here, especially in his 1st year, or do we cut bait so to speak?

And coastal, I agree we need to do something ironically on the D and quick. Forslund last night suggested it should be the trade market and I like his reasoning. In the immediate pinch, I think bringing up someone from Charlotte could be a stop gap measure, but in the long run, I think a veteran NHLer is necessary?

It has been all over XM, so if you don't subscribe then you might not have heard this.  For example, yesterday afternoon, Nick Kypreos basically said verbatim "Don Waddell has been shopping Gardiner around for some time with no takers".  I've also heard this from Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun.  So, take it at face value.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

It has been all over XM, so if you don't subscribe then you might not have heard this.  For example, yesterday afternoon, Nick Kypreos basically said verbatim "Don Waddell has been shopping Gardiner around for some time with no takers".  I've also heard this from Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun.  So, take it at face value.

It’s gonna take at least a pick/prospect thrown in for any sane GM to take him

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think the Borg has been trying to offload Gardiner for some time, according to reports, with no luck.  But I think they have to do something on D, and quick.  If the offense can't pick it up several notches and take up some slack, not good.  Not to mention neither of our goalies have yet proved they can steal games.

Yes and yes. At this point I'd probably just move Gardiner's salary for the proverbial bag of pucks. But that would also be moving a potentially offensive D man. Dougie is a phenom this year. No D man will be available to replace him because there's only a handful who could and they're not on the market.

The replacement will have to come from increased forward scoring OR adding a game stealing goalie. (I'm now more and more down with a radical move on the later, but I'm sure it would be very controversial). 

In some ways Dougie could be arguably the one guy we couldn't lose. OK, maybe Aho, but really Dougie is a massive loss. 14 goals and 40 points in just over half of a season. At least some of those were game winners or games that would have been lost. Given that with Dougy we are on the cusp of being out the playoffs in this insane division and conference, we can't lose all of that offense from the back end and make it without an adjustment. Further, I know, please forgive me, but it is just so mind blowing: Dougie is +30, Gardiner is -21. Even for a pretty bad stat that spread is staggering. Now there will be no Dougie to offset Gardiner. So at least lose Gardiner and try to lock it down some maybe. 

I'm a big proponent of getting Fleury ice time, but he's a #6 D man at present. Fleury in for Dougie is a big drop off. Heck Fleury can't seem to win ice from TVR let alone replace Dougie. I know no one is saying he is, but that is the practical effect. Projected point production full season: (holding +/- steady):

Dougie: 24 goals, 70 points, +30

Fleury: 7 goals, 16 points, -6

Something has to give. 

OK here's a full on endorsement of a radical idea. Trade for Lehner. Of course readers of this board know 3 things. 1. I wanted us to get Lehner when it came down to him and Mrazek. 2. I didn't come up with the idea of going after Lehner now, that was put out elsewhere and referenced here by not me. 3. I am no expert on the future quality of goalies. (I liked Lack and Darling when the moves were first announced). 

That said, Lehner has the stat line over 3 different teams of an elite, or at least near-elite goalie. And while goalies are an odd bunch, and seemingly good ones get traded for late round picks, this franchise has trended exactly where it's goalie skill has gone, and we've never had that consistent top 10 in the league tender stealing games consistently (at least without giving the next one away). 

Why is it radical? Because we'd have to move one of our current goalies, and that might have to include Mrazek, who is beloved. The guy has the heart of a tiger. It would be a radical move to bring Lehner in and move Mrazek out. It would be less radical to move Reimer, but... A. Reimer might be harder to move (age and so-so career reputation), and B. Reimer has been the better goalie. (Reimer .919 save %, .588 win %: Mrazek: .904 save %, .548 win %). 

But Lehner? .923 save %. BUT .560 win percentage. Wait, Reimer is .588. Yes, but Chicago is .458 overall, .560 when Lehner starts and .348 when Lehner doesn't start. It's not a direct correlation obviously, but he's got to be stealing games in there. 

Lehner's been doing this now for 6 of the past 7 years on 3 different teams. The one off year reportedly his mental health issues flared up. That is a risk if we're honest, but even his worst year is a save % of .908 (better than Mrazek's current .904). 

Also, if we get him for the remainder of this year, I'm guessing the cost might not be crazy since he's basically a rental. And we could see if we want to sign him longer term. (I know, he wants big bucks, but he might be worth it). 

So, I was down with this idea before Dougie went to the operating room. But now it seems like a swing for the fences move that could make up for the lack of Dougie's production. 

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Trade for Lehner.

Not as radical an idea as you think.  Beat writers have been saying this for the past few weeks. 

I’d be ok with it too...Petr and Gardiner for him straight up?  

Edited by AWACSooner

OK, my dang posts get a bit long so breaking it up one last one. 

We need a net offset to losing the production of a near Norris producing D man. We cannot get it from another D man because they are too rare, and not available. So, we either need a general rise in depth scoring (I've been on and on about our depth, only to have those guys get quiet all of the sudden), and or we need to grab a game stealing goalie. 

But getting the forwards to score more, while it would help, is not really a move. We have no room for another forward, and any new forward would have to be very elite to lift us since our depth is so good. That is very unlikely to find that guy, and he would cost too much. We don't really have room up front either. And TD has said he doesn't want to mortgage the future, and an elite forward would probably require that.

But Lehner is just sitting there on a losing team that probably won't re-sign him and is thought to be open to trading him. He can steal the games that Dougie would have won. 

I'm not 100% sure that Chicago, still 5 points and two teams back of a WC spot in a weak West would move him yet. But they are -12 goal diff and a losing streak might make him available. If so. GM remkin is knocking on that door, and knocking hard.

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Not as radical an idea as you think.  Beat writers have been saying this for the past few weeks. 

I’d be ok with it too...Petr and Gardiner for him straight up?  

Yeah admittedly I didn't dream it up, just in favor. But it just feels radical to move Mrazek given the Petr, Petr, Petr chants. And it might take that. As much as a crowd favorite as Petr is, he is proving his inconsistency more than his great parts of last year IMO. 

I'd do Petr and Gardiner straight up, but I can't see Chicago doing it. Maybe. It would work from our end, and give us the cap space to sign Lehner longer term possibly too. 

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah admittedly I didn't dream it up, just in favor. But it just feels radical to move Mrazek given the Petr, Petr, Petr chants. And it might take that. As much as a crowd favorite as Petr is, he is proving his inconsistency more than his great parts of last year IMO. 

I'd do Petr and Gardiner straight up, but I can't see Chicago doing it. Maybe. It would work from our end, and give us the cap space to sign Lehner longer term possibly too. 

If there were a pick involved too...maybe the Rags’s 2nd?

We’ve moved out fan favorites before...and we are gonna do it again

Edited by AWACSooner

I wonder if Lehner could be had on one of those deals that changes if we sign him. A second rounder for the rental. Add a pick if we sign him. 

Sending them Mrazek would give them a goalie and clear a spot for us, so that would be good, but not sure they want to pick up Mrazek's contract. I guess they could use some D, but apparently Gardiner is not drawing much interest at the moment. 

It's so hard to construct the deal, but I just think Lehner here could be big.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Sending them Mrazek would give them a goalie and clear a spot for us, so that would be good, but not sure they want to pick up Mrazek's contract.

Worst case, he’s only on a two year deal

Chicago is only 5 points out of a playoff spot. Look where we came from last year at this time. And they are in the West, meaning less difficult competition the rest of the way. We’d be in first place in the Pacific Division right now. Unless they really spit the bit in the next 4 weeks, even if they are not going to re-sign Lehner, they should keep him for a stretch run unless the return is overwhelming. If they come around to trading Lehner, Chicago might take Mrazek to fill his spot, but the sweetener would have to be a lot more than Gardiner. No one on the boards wants him the way he has played so why would Chicago? I would think something like Mrazek, a top prospect and a middle round pick that bumps up if we re-sign him. It’s not like there aren’t other teams that would make an offer for him as well.

I agree Reimer and Mrazek have not stolen games for us, but the whole team has been hanging them out to dry a lot. On Anaheim’s regulation goal last night, Gudbrandson was allowed to skate into the zone with speed uncontested (not a breakaway either) for a shot from what, 8 feet outside the crease. And that’s all Reimer gave up in regulation even though it seemed like the last 2 periods were played almost entirely in our zone. Would Lehner have changed the outcome of that game? IDK, but Reimer arguably was about the only guy who had a good game last night. I’m not saying don’t go after Lehner but the whole team needs to wake up before we lay our problems at the feet of Petr and Reimer.

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

It’s gonna take at least a pick/prospect thrown in for any sane GM to take him

I agree.  I think it would be worth it to throw in a pick with Gardiner for something less in return as a salary poop.  That money is going to be needed to extend Svechnikov and either resign Haula or pursue another front liner.  Bean could step in to do what they hoped to get from Gardiner.  Overall, the Committee's personnel moves have been an A, IMO, but signing Gardiner was the move that kept it from A+.

22 minutes ago, beboplar said:

IMO, but signing Gardiner was the move that kept it from A+.

DZ hasn’t exactly panned out either