The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

19 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well we won’t get Martinez...looks like he’s headed to Vegas 

It's not official yet - at least nothing on NHL Tracker as of now.

2 hours ago, cc said:

Keane Article-  perhaps this will settle some nerves..... or not.  Only time will tell.  

https://cardiaccane.com/2020/02/18/carolina-hurricanes-keen-joey-keane/4/

They are talking about Keane-Bean pairing... Is it feasible next season? Who else (given TVR done) will get go then? Eddy or Jake? Or we will have 7 again to start and rotate Keane/Bean as we did to Fleury? 

2 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

It's not official yet - at least nothing on NHL Tracker as of now.

It’s official...LA gets 2 seconds

Well, I will say this in regard to the TD, IF, and that's a very big IF, the team can sustain play like I saw from them last night, then I think we'll be okay to stand pat? I have and still do fear the March schedule which among other things, seems ripe for injury, but that game last night, WOW. 

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well, I will say this in regard to the TD, IF, and that's a very big IF, the team can sustain play like I saw from them last night, then I think we'll be okay to stand pat? I have and still do fear the March schedule which among other things, seems ripe for injury, but that game last night, WOW. 

Ever since the preds  fired Peter Laviolette   that team has not been the same  .   It was very stupid for them to do that .   Which leads me to believe that if peter  Laviolette   does not find a coaching job  this year im  sure Ron Francis will be asking for him to  come coach  the seattle  " Kraken "     expansion team 

Edited by Canesfanforever

10 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ever since the preds  fired Peter Laviolette   that team has not been the same  .   It was very stupid for them to do that .   Which leads me to believe that if peter  Laviolette   does not find a coaching job  this year im  sure Ron Francis will be asking for him to  come coach  the seattle  " Kraken "     expansion team 

Letting Lavi go does not surprise me. His shelf life with several teams is 3 years plus or minus a bit. What surprised me is replacing him with Hynes. I’m not aware whether he has been successful at other levels, but I’m not aware of any NHL success, and he was just canned by the Devils. RF never played for Lavi, and may have come into the front office for a short time before the Canes fired him so I’m not sure there is any connection there. I enjoyed Lavi’s style of play, and Seattle could do a lot worse.

50 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Not sure why you tied this to my post about my thoughts on why I do not see us making any trade at the TD, but thank you.

Wife just read me a blurb on a comment attributed to Forslund, where he is said to have stated that Fleury was to have a procedure done and based on its results, may call up someone tomorrow? That would appear to be more significant than what's been posted elsewhere that he seemed alright when viewed postgame yesterday as he met with his mother? Could this then redouble DW's quest for a Dman trade? Not sure who's even around at this late stage, but please God, not Hainsey.

Given the recent  AHL  trade with the rangers and Waddle  trying to keep friendly relations with the rangers  I ask this question .  Is it  possible  that the Canes could be trying to make another Trade with the Rangers for one KING HENRY ?  it is his last year  and possible  last in his playing Career  so  could it be possible to work one more trade with the rangers  to bring in  Henrik Lundqvist ?

7 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Given the recent  AHL  trade with the rangers and Waddle  trying to keep friendly relations with the rangers  I ask this question .  Is it  possible  that the Canes could be trying to make another Trade with the Rangers for one KING HENRY ?  it is his last year  and possible  last in his playing Career  so  could it be possible to work one more trade with the rangers  to bring in  Henrik Lundqvist ?

I would think he would retire rather than come here. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Cff, as caniac6 concluded, I do not see that as even the slightest possibility. Now one of the other 2, possibly?

13 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Cff, as caniac6 concluded, I do not see that as even the slightest possibility. Now one of the other 2, possibly?

Yeah.  Several say we need to shore up the D.  I think we need a goalie.  This team is one bonafide number one away from being a cup contender.

Edited by bluedevil58

42 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

:coollaugh: You made my day, KJUN

I don’t think we do much unless its a last minute deal because a seller has come way down on their price.

We are building for us to be scary good in 2 years and carrying until everyone’s deals start running out (2-4 years from now). We want to win now and next year without jeopardizing 2-4 years from now and beyond.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Defense must be our number one priority. Depending on the Fluery injury the Blue Line is getting thin

59 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Defense must be our number one priority. Depending on the Fluery injury the Blue Line is getting thin

We hearing anything yet on the Fleury injury OBXer? I've not.

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not yet.

17 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Procedure?  MRI?  I wonder if they are concerned about deep bleeding (and compartment syndrome).   Hopefully the MRI was clear.

3 minutes ago, bambamcanefan said:

I believe that he was seen walking normally after the game, but will have to check and see where i saw that information.

I agree, thus my reference to someone's statement that he "looked okay" postgame as the players met with their Mom's? Perhaps he was " sucking it up", and the next day (yesterday) he was a bit more tenuous? Guess we'll see a little later, and may get a glimpse if someone is called up?

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Yeah.  Several say we need to shore up the D.  I think we need a goalie.  This team is one bonafide number one away from being a cup contender.

I would think that the type of goalie we need is probably playing on a playoff contending team, already. Plus the price for a #1 goalie is going to be very, very high. We can't just go to the goalie tree, and pick one.

9 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I would think that the type of goalie we need is probably playing on a playoff contending team, already. Plus the price for a #1 goalie is going to be very, very high. We can't just go to the goalie tree, and pick one.

No doubt, but with goalies' seemingly whimsical fluctuating proficiencies, who knows which one will be unbeatable this year (month or even tomorrow when we play them), then crash and burn? I believe we've got a keeper we drafted in the Russian system (anybody hearing anything on that), so if we can just hang on a year or 2, we might have the next Lundquist? We surely are long overdue on a decent to elite goalie?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I don't understand.  Do the Canes not have the deepest pool of defensive prospects playing at Charlotte?  Right side, left side, there are 5 or 6 to choose from.  Why trade for another?

• Like 1

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested in adding right-shot, top-four defenceman preferably with term before the deadline. And Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, who fits the bill on all three counts, is high on their wish list.

LeBrun cites a source who believes there's a 95 per cent chance the Canadiens hold on to Petry, who's signed through next season at a $5.5 million cap hit. But he wonders if Carolina could entice Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin into making a deal.

LeBrun believes the Hurricanes could package a first-round pick and defensive prospect Jake Bean in exchange for Petry. He adds, however, that the Canadiens would likely decline that offer because the team does not view Bean as a top-four defenceman in the future. 

Bean, selected 13th overall in 2013,  has seven goals and 38 points in 49 games with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers this season and played two games last season with the Hurricanes. 

Petry, who has nine goals and 36 points in 62 games this season, is listed at No. 49 on the Trade Bait board. LeBrun adds that the Canadiens will need to be "overwhelmed by an offer" to move him before Monday's deadline.