The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

10 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I don't understand.  Do the Canes not have the deepest pool of defensive prospects playing at Charlotte?

A prospect can't replace Hamilton. 

20 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested in adding right-shot, top-four defenceman preferably with term before the deadline. And Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, who fits the bill on all three counts, is high on their wish list.

LeBrun cites a source who believes there's a 95 per cent chance the Canadiens hold on to Petry, who's signed through next season at a $5.5 million cap hit. But he wonders if Carolina could entice Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin into making a deal.

LeBrun believes the Hurricanes could package a first-round pick and defensive prospect Jake Bean in exchange for Petry. He adds, however, that the Canadiens would likely decline that offer because the team does not view Bean as a top-four defenceman in the future. 

Bean, selected 13th overall in 2013,  has seven goals and 38 points in 49 games with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers this season and played two games last season with the Hurricanes. 

Petry, who has nine goals and 36 points in 62 games this season, is listed at No. 49 on the Trade Bait board. LeBrun adds that the Canadiens will need to be "overwhelmed by an offer" to move him before Monday's deadline.

That's a pretty high price for the 49th guy on the trade chart.

I'm going to guess Fluery is in pretty good shape since we haven't heard anything.

I bring up compartment syndrome because there have been a few cases in the NFL where a player takes a hard shot to the leg.  They are "fine" for the rest of the day, but then experience significant symptoms overnight or next day.  Then it is an emergency "procedure" to relieve the pressure.  If I recall the injury, Fluery took a hard shot to the leg.  So they are going to watch it and make sure it is cool.  MRI indicates soft tissue injury.  Hoping it isn't anything like this, OR no ligament issues.

I used to be a big NFL Bears fan (NFL is fading for me lately), so I remember Brian Urlacher's story.  There have been others since.

Such uncertainty has ruled Urlacher's life since the hours after the Bears' stirring 19-17 overtime victory over the Tennessee Titans on Nov. 14.

He had gone to bed that night feeling satisfied about the Bears' third straight win and enthused about the stretch run of the season. If only he could have felt his left foot.

The foot had gone numb, immediately filling the Bears' franchise player with fear. A blow from a helmet had caused two knots on Urlacher's leg and they had swollen "like grapefruits."

So Urlacher called Dr. Mark Bowen, the team physician, to report the symptoms as Bowen had instructed him. Within an hour, Urlacher rushed to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for emergency surgery at 5 a.m.

Drs. Bowen and Armen Kelikian performed the operation to relieve the pressure and control the internal bleeding before that area of the leg could hemorrhage and cause more serious damage. Urlacher referred to the condition as compartment syndrome.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2004-12-03-0412030368-story.html

Edited by wxray1

22 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

That's a pretty high price for the 49th guy on the trade chart.

Hes 49 on this guys overall trade chart. For team missing its top scoring D man I would be willing to bet hes a lot higher then 49th.

wxray, having experienced a "compartment syndrome" following a slide into base in dirt/small rock terrain back playing in my younger years, I am familiar with it. To explain, it involves soft tissue injury with 2ndary swelling +/- hemorrhage into a "compartment" composed of unyielding tissue (tough sheets of connective tissue). Such a natural "compartment" is located in the outer part of lower leg. That swelling then, with no place to shift around, presses on nerves and you end up with the "numbness" to which you refer. Continued pressure interrupts blood flow and thus oxygen/ nutrient supply to tissue, including entrapped nerves and if unrelieved, irreparably damages them resulting in "foot drop".

The situation is a medical emergency and is treated by incising those thin sheets of tissue so that the building fluid pressure can then escape the "compartment". 

The second Goat complained about his situation with the big club he was gone, IMO.  Coupled with the fact he's a one-trick pony and doesn't play a two-way game I'm surprised it took this long to offload him.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

OBXer, dare say no one can "replace" Dougie, but can one buy time while he heals? And can we not try with Bean or one of the others? Might see a miraculous transition, or not?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

No doubt, but with goalies' seemingly whimsical fluctuating proficiencies, who knows which one will be unbeatable this year (month or even tomorrow when we play them), then crash and burn? I believe we've got a keeper we drafted in the Russian system (anybody hearing anything on that), so if we can just hang on a year or 2, we might have the next Lundquist? We surely are long overdue on a decent to elite goalie?

You are talking about Pyotr  Kochetkov ,  who the canes drafted  in the 2nd round i believe  who was considered the 2nd best goalie in last year draft .  Pyotr  has been bouncing around leagues  and some different teams  

2019-20 Vityaz Podolsk KHL   8 3.09 0.917          
  SKA St. Petersburg KHL   6 2.62 0.887          
  SKA-Neva St. Petersburg VHL   2 1.95 0.940          
  Russkie Vityazi Chekhov MHL   2 3.50 0.908

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Seriously, who do you think the Canes can acquire at the trade deadline to replace Hamilton?

5 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Seriously, who do you think the Canes can acquire at the trade deadline to replace Hamilton?

BD58 has spoken: Erik Karlsson 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

he situation is a medical emergency and is treated by incising those thin sheets of tissue so that the building fluid pressure can then escape the "compartment". 

Like when you take too many of those blue pills?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, beboplar said:

29 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

BD58 has spoken: Erik Karlsson 

Or big Buf, who hasn't played since last April. ;)

• Like 1

Amazing that TSN.ca call us a "cup contender".

"CAROLINA HURRICANES: Since the Lightning traded theirs for Blake Coleman, the Canes are the only contender with an extra first-round pick still at their disposal to make magic happen. That will be the edict from owner Tom Dundon as Carolina looks to capitalize on the momentum in the market after last year’s run to the Eastern Conference Final. Dundon told The Athletic on Wednesday that playing in the tough Metropolitan Division is “no excuse.” The return of Justin Williams was Carolina’s deadline acquisition up front. But the Canes are believed to be doing their due diligence on Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, Devils defenceman Sami Vatanen and Blackhawks goalie Robin Lehner."

49 minutes ago, cc said:

Like when you take too many of those blue pills?

If I had that problem for more than four hours, I’d be calling my friends and bragging...

Does anyone think it's possible that we circle back on Kase, since it seems we at one time were on him? Or, did Williams' return rule that out?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Does anyone think it's possible that we circle back on Kase, since it seems we at one time were on him? Or, did Williams' return rule that out?

The latter 

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Dougie will be back next season. If we are looking for his replacement it is for 20 games + playoffs. However, the committee indicated they are not doing rental. It means an acquired player will have to come with a term - that will delay again younger player promotion from AHL. I am with beboplar here - I don't understand.

57 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Dougie will be back next season.

But TVR and Edmundson will be FAs and could go so that is why I think DW or TD said they wanted a player with term. Why a D man now. It is our most pressing need. You can't replace Dougie but you can try to get a right shot Dman with playoff experience to bolster our chances.

I'm all for developing prospects and using them when they are ready or needed.  We might need one or two this season. I hope not.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I would think that the type of goalie we need is probably playing on a playoff contending team, already. Plus the price for a #1 goalie is going to be very, very high. We can't just go to the goalie tree, and pick one.

A Chicago blogger on Hockey Buzz says Lehner and Hawks are nowhere near an agreement on a new contract and Chicago may move him before the deadline if they don’t think they can sign him. IIRC, he said Lehner was holding out for 6-7 years at $7 million, and Hawks were not close on term or money. If we traded for Lehner, I can’t see us meeting that kind of contract demand, so it would be a rental situation if this is accurate. 3 1/2 days to go to see if we do anything.

27 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

he said Lehner was holding out for 6-7 years at $7 million

He'll be lucky to get 4 at that rate...

27 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

A Chicago blogger on Hockey Buzz says Lehner and Hawks are nowhere near an agreement on a new contract and Chicago may move him before the deadline if they don’t think they can sign him. IIRC, he said Lehner was holding out for 6-7 years at $7 million, and Hawks were not close on term or money. If we traded for Lehner, I can’t see us meeting that kind of contract demand, so it would be a rental situation if this is accurate. 3 1/2 days to go to see if we do anything.

Nope, not worth that, move on.

• Like 1

TSN

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes have their eyes set on adding a right-shot, top-four defenceman over the next four days. With not a lot of options available, they’re apparently keyed in on Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry.

LeBrun speculates we could be offering a 1st round pick and prospect. Mentions Jake Bean but also speculates Montreal might not be in on Bean

Petry is signed through next year at 5.5 mil

Add: a source told LeBrun there’s 95 percent chance the Habs won’t move Petry.

11 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Depends on the cap hike after new TV  deal

I’m not sure I would go over 4 years on any goalie, especially as the price gets higher. Maybe Lundqvist and Brodeur were exceptions to this but there haven’t been many. Sometimes the numbers have a lot to do with the system/players in front of the goalie. Look at Bob’s numbers in Florida, which last time I looked were average at best. And he’s signed for something like $10 million for 7 years. Yet Korpisalo (Bob’s former backup) and Merzlikens both have solid numbers in Columbus. Torts is a jerk but apparently he knows how to run a defense, as does Trotz with the Preds/Caps/Isles. Schneider in NJ is another example of someone who came in w/ great numbers, got a long-term contract, and has spent most of this season in the AHL. Mrazek and Reimer may not have stolen a lot of games, but our defense, for all the kudos it gets, hangs them out to dry a lot. And together they make less than what Lehner wants. If Lehner is now moving on from his second team in two years even after playing well, that tells you something. I know he has the medical issue, but the teams that have seen him every day for two years don’t appear willing to commit to him long term. I’d rather take my chances with Petr and Reimer.