The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

4 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I’m not sure I would go over 4 years on any goalie, especially as the price gets higher. Maybe Lundqvist and Brodeur were exceptions to this but there haven’t been many. Sometimes the numbers have a lot to do with the system/players in front of the goalie. Look at Bob’s numbers in Florida, which last time I looked were average at best. And he’s signed for something like $10 million for 7 years. Yet Korpisalo (Bob’s former backup) and Merzlikens both have solid numbers in Columbus. Torts is a jerk but apparently he knows how to run a defense, as does Trotz with the Preds/Caps/Isles. Schneider in NJ is another example of someone who came in w/ great numbers, got a long-term contract, and has spent most of this season in the AHL. Mrazek and Reimer may not have stolen a lot of games, but our defense, for all the kudos it gets, hangs them out to dry a lot. And together they make less than what Lehner wants. If Lehner is now moving on from his second team in two years even after playing well, that tells you something. I know he has the medical issue, but the teams that have seen him every day for two years don’t appear willing to commit to him long term. I’d rather take my chances with Petr and Reimer.

I totally agree with your statements, bdc. I think what is sometimes forgotten, but what makes hockey the greatest sport in my opinion, is this is a TEAM game, That means all 6 parts have to be working together, ergo, a great goalie in one system can be a complete bust in another. If so, and on a long term contract apparently like Lehner wants (who blames him), than the team is saddled with a real problem. Another solution would seem to be a bridge deal with a goalie like him to see if he "fits" our system, if he would take that.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Yep...anything past four for any goalie that isn’t a proven elite guy is a probably albatross for an org.  I was on record for being ok with the 4 we gave Mongo at the time because I figured it wouldn’t handcuff us too badly if he proved to be a miss...and then he exceeded my expectations in the worst possible way 

• Like 2

The Petry thing is still being regurgitated through the Canadian media. I can’t see the Canes giving Montreal anything of value since TD came out and said the offer sheet still bothers him. 

21 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The Petry thing is still being regurgitated through the Canadian media. I can’t see the Canes giving Montreal anything of value since TD came out and said the offer sheet still bothers him. 

I'm going to veto this one. Look at his stats. To me he's another Gardiner in waiting. He's had 3 seasons of </= -22 +/- stat, and he's on his way to another one. How does that help us? Hard Pass. 

Maximum, I offer a cold plate of Poutine.

Edited by sleekfeeder

14 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Kase is about to be traded to Boston for a _____, a _____, and a _____.

Nickel, partridge, pear tree

And to think, we almost had him for Faulk. But Faulk balked at their contract offer. At least that's the rumor. Ah the joys of NMC's. Oh well. At least we've been stingy with them lately.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

And to think, we almost had him for Faulk. But Faulk balked at their contract offer. At least that's the rumor. Ah the joys of NMC's. Oh well. At least we've been stingy with them lately.

The gift that keeps on giving image.jpeg.b2a0f5e9a6496fb053d30383482c6a01.jpeg

OK. I've decided to opine on the Petry thing. The rumored offer was Bean and a first rounder for Petry. After doing some cursory research my response is, "what is the committee smoking, and is it legal even in Colorado?". 

Yes, Petry is a smooth skating, outlet passing somewhat offensive minded RHD. But, as sleek said, why is this not another only RHD Gardiner? Except, at least Gardiner has a couple of recent full seasons with good, sustained +/- numbers. Petry? No. With the ever present disclaimer that +/- has many shortcomings, and with my ever present contention that over long periods and compared to a player's team numbers, the outliers overwhelmingly line up consistent with their +/- by the eyeballs and detailed stats. Well, I'd say Petry is an outlier. He is currently dead last on his team at -14. Last year? 5th from the bottom. Two years ago? Second worst at -30. His best in the past 6 years is mid pack. For the past 3 seasons he's -49. For his career he's a whopping -120. OK, +/- is a much hated stat, but -120? Over the 4 years that Petry has been a teamate of Weber in Montreal, he is -46 and Weber is +34. I know, Weber is a stud, but the point is that D men can be plus over 4 years in MTL, but Petry is massively minus. 

Whatever one thinks of +/-, even at the extremes, the committee has tended to move out bad ones and avoid bringing in bad ones. Well this is a bad one. So it doesn't fit. 

Further, Petry is 32. He will be 33 at the end of his contract. He has one more year next year. Then he's gone anyways. 

So for that we give up a first round pick AND our best D prospect? Guys we can build around? Bean has already shown he can create offense at the AHL level, and probably can at least do as well as Petry's -120. Further, we'd had just traded both of our first rounders from 2016 in about a week? Full on abandonment of draft and develop? At least Goat got us another prospect. 

They say Montreal is balking because Bean isn't good enough. Either they are sucking us in for an even worse thrashing, or Bergevin is just dumb enough to save us from ourselves. Please let this be so. 

TD said he didn't want to trade the future for now. This is trading two potentially big futures for a very questionable now. 

JUST SAY NO. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Petry doesn't interest me in the slightest.  I'd rather give Bean and/or McKeown another shot.

"Another" shot or "a" shot?  :grin: 

• Like 3

Not sure why but tsn just listed Haula at number 11 on their trade bait list. Probly idle speculation on their part,

26 minutes ago, cc said:

Not sure why but tsn just listed Haula at number 11 on their trade bait list. Probly idle speculation on their part,

Haula is  a free agent after this season  and   "  if  "   things were to go bad for the canes  before the trade deadline  he would still be a viable  choice for some team in a playoff spot  for a trade , be it draft picks , prospect  .  Lets all hope   it does not come down to the canes  having to be sellers .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

I'd still really like to keep Haula. This year has been a weird up and down year for him, but the up has been really good and 2Cs are hard to find, and I'm not sure if we lose Haula we have one. His up and down year might bring the price tag down or even the term. 

Last couple of games he's been looking better and if he gets back to even most of what he was early he'd be a very good guy to have. Want to see what he has at the end of the year and possibly playoffs. Trading him now would be nuts, so makes me think they're just listing the best players who are UFAs next year.

If I was on the committee,  I would be very hesitant to trade away a 1st round pick or any top prospects.  This team is just too inconsistent to go all in this year.  They are just missing “something”.  Last years team was on a mission to make the playoffs and played their hearts out every night.  This years team, with more talent in paper, just can’t seem to bring it every night.  

it may just be a case of the new players just not buying into the RBs philosophy 100%.  If that is the case, then maybe they trade Haula and/or Gardiner before the deadline to re-work the current group.  

im my opinion, the team needs to add some more toughness/physicallity to the current group.  Could really use a steady Calvin DeHaan type player on the defense.  

I don’t know.  I’m as frustrated as everyone else at times with this team this year.  But I do think they need to change things up a bit.  Sometimes, addition is through subtraction.  Maybe, whoever is not buying all in, just needs to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iceman11 said:

If I was on the committee,  I would be very hesitant to trade away a 1st round pick or any top prospects.

I don't trade away anything potentially useful in the future in hopes of supplementing a playoff run for that cast of clowns i watched last night.  It's the exact opposite for me now - if any moves are made, sell off the square pegs for picks/prospects.  The team i watched last night doesn't need to be a buyer.

• Like 2

TSN Frank Seravalli thinks we might be kicking tires on the Leafs Tyson Barrie as a rental

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

TSN Frank Seravalli thinks we might be kicking tires on the Leafs Tyson Barrie as a rental

Send them back Gardiner as a warranty deal

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Haula is  a free agent after this season  and   "  if  "   things were to go bad for the canes  before the trade deadline  he would still be a viable  choice for some team in a playoff spot  for a trade , be it draft picks , prospect  .  Lets all hope   it does not come down to the canes  having to be sellers .  

Well we have one more game before the deadline, so I don’t think we could really go south that quick, although what I saw last night had me looking in a southerly direction. Then again, what I saw Wednesday had me ready to confidently order my playoff strips. If we lose these next three, and they are all tough games, I’m not sure we recover from that. Win all 3 and we’re probably back above the cut line and feeling great. But the deadline falls after just one more game. Given the way this season has gone, I expect a split of the 3 games, though 1-2 instead of 2-1 could make a lot of difference. After watching the Rangers last night, and especially with their goaltending, I could see the Canes, Columbus and the Isles sliding and the Rangers slipping by. Which would make me vomit.

6 hours ago, iceman11 said:

Sometimes, addition is through subtraction.  Maybe, whoever is not buying all in, just needs to go.

See Skinner, Jeff. Does anyone think JWilly is rethinking his decision to return?

3 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

See Skinner, Jeff. Does anyone think JWilly is rethinking his decision to return?

If he is, he can retire.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Well we have one more game before the deadline, so I don’t think we could really go south that quick, although what I saw last night had me looking in a southerly direction. Then again, what I saw Wednesday had me ready to confidently order my playoff strips. If we lose these next three, and they are all tough games, I’m not sure we recover from that. Win all 3 and we’re probably back above the cut line and feeling great. But the deadline falls after just one more game. Given the way this season has gone, I expect a split of the 3 games, though 1-2 instead of 2-1 could make a lot of difference. After watching the Rangers last night, and especially with their goaltending, I could see the Canes, Columbus and the Isles sliding and the Rangers slipping by. Which would make me vomit.

I  would love for the canes to extend Haula   but only if  it was  reasonable  in contract length  if he were to take a pay cut some .  Other wise i  would not see  it  as a good idea  to keep Haula  with him   being skiddish ,  a turn over machine  , or injury prone   guy .   Im sure some  NHL team would pay him lots of money  or even give him  a decent length on his contract  and that would prevent  us from signing him .     A trade on the other hand like i said previously for Haula  would be an option to go to  .