The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

TheHockeyNews has an article about the best prospects traded before the deadline.  Former Canes Kuokk, Priskie, Luostarinen, and Gauthier came in at numbers 6,7,8, and 10.  The great thing is that in our system we still have better prospects than what we gave up. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/future-watch-the-top-10-prospects-traded-before-the-nhl-deadline

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

TheHockeyNews has an article about the best prospects traded before the deadline.  Former Canes Kuokk, Priskie, Luostarinen, and Gauthier came in at numbers 6,7,8, and 10.  The great thing is that in our system we still have better prospects than what we gave up. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/future-watch-the-top-10-prospects-traded-before-the-nhl-deadline

I do wish we hadn't given up Priskie, and really I wish we hadn't traded Goat either. But Kuok and Luostarinen are definitely down our rankings if one looks at upside. Also we did get a very good prospect back for Goat. In fact they ranked goat #10 and Keane, who we got back at #4. So really it's the loss of Priskie, but then we got Trochek.

I agree with the point though. Even after moving a bunch of prospects, we still have a very deep pool of high upside prospects. 

Latest speculation I saw was the Canes could still make a goalie move. If we did the goalie wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs but could help us get into the playoffs before handing the crease back to Mrazek and/or Riemer.

Something to watch I suppose but I'm not sure how likely it is

31 Thoughts

2. Teams can make AHL trades after the deadline, but those players won’t be eligible for the post-season. Carolina needs goaltending, Toronto needs defence, Arizona needs scoring. Those organizations think unconventionally. I wonder…

On 2/25/2020 at 2:35 PM, remkin said:

I do wish we hadn't given up Priskie, and really I wish we hadn't traded Goat either. But Kuok and Luostarinen are definitely down our rankings if one looks at upside. Also we did get a very good prospect back for Goat. In fact they ranked goat #10 and Keane, who we got back at #4. So really it's the loss of Priskie, but then we got Trochek.

I agree with the point though. Even after moving a bunch of prospects, we still have a very deep pool of high upside prospects. 

The only reason the Canes could afford to give up that many prospects was because they had about the best draft in the history of drafts this past year.  They have 5 or 6 prospects from this draft with a reasonable outlook to play in the NHL.  In addition, if they are able to sign college guys like Cotton and Drury, all the better.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The only reason the Canes could afford to give up that many prospects was because they had about the best draft in the history of drafts this past year.  They have 5 or 6 prospects from this draft with a reasonable outlook to play in the NHL.  In addition, if they are able to sign college guys like Cotton and Drury, all the better.

This is true. I think we are also projecting our highest upside prospects and not trading them.

One could argue that Goat has a high end. He does as a power forward, but I think there were clearly issues. I don't know how well they could get him to back check and his total ice awareness has always been low. This has been a frequent pass to no one type of guy. Personally, I'd like to have seen more of him before bailing on him, but our brass would not have traded him if they thought he was a future 30 goal at least OK defensively and all around player, most likely. OK, waivers was an issue, but that just means we needed to put up or shut up next year on him and the team was not willing to put up. BUT this trade was potentially prospect for better prospect, so we didn't really lose prospect depth.  

Priskie was a loss, but as much hype as he got, I'll just repeat that the track record of college grad UFA's who turn it on late in their college careers living up to the hype is not great. We got to see over half of an AHL season of Priskie as a pro, and must not have been blown away. Further, we like to keep picking up veteran D men and Bean was clearly ahead of Priskie, and finally, Keane is a higher end prospect. He is playing at a very similar level to Priskie but at only 20 years old. IMO Keene made Priskie expendable as Keane is probably an upgrade eventually.

Luostarinen and Kuokkenen are nice players, but neither showing high end potential. IMO we won the lottery with Aho and kept going back to that second round Finnish draft well. IMO these guys might both be second round misses in the end. But at this point in their careers, we have higher upside guys coming up below them.

So I'm agreeing that our depth allowed these trades, but adding that we really have not given up the higher end prospects at any position in all likelihood. Maybe with Goat, but we flipped him for a higher upside to Priskie, so IMO we gave up one net guy with good NHL potential in all of the trades this year. Meanwhile, we have many talented guys coming up, who have arguably higher upside than the ones we traded: Drury, Suzuki, Reese, Honka, Puistola, Geekie, Bean, Kean, Kochet, and more.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OBXer said:

Latest speculation I saw was the Canes could still make a goalie move. If we did the goalie wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs but could help us get into the playoffs before handing the crease back to Mrazek and/or Riemer.

Something to watch I suppose but I'm not sure how likely it is

31 Thoughts

Yea. Would think they wouldnt do that until at least they play Forsberg once and see how he does. 

My GUESS is that if anything we trade for someone to support Mrazek since my reading of the tea leaves is that he will be out 7-10 days. And thats if our AHL guys just flat out suck. 

Who is in the AHL that we would want? I realize teams could send a goalie down from the NHL that we may want to try and skirt around the rules but would they have to pass waivers?

13 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

I realize teams could send a goalie down from the NHL that we may want to try and skirt around the rules but would they have to pass waivers?

Since they are emergency or injury callups I wouldn't think they would need to clear waivers before they are sent down. I'm not sure though.

7 hours ago, OBXer said:

Since they are emergency or injury callups I wouldn't think they would need to clear waivers before they are sent down. I'm not sure though.

I think this was related to the other team. For us to trade for other team's goalie that other team had to send said goalie to AHL. And due to that that said goalie needs to clear waivers before we can trade for him.

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

I think this was related to the other team. For us to trade for other team's goalie that other team had to send said goalie to AHL. And due to that that said goalie needs to clear waivers before we can trade for him.

Ok  never mind