The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

32 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, as much as I’d love to keep him and he be happy, he either plays Rod’s way, or he sits and awaits a trade.

Do I think he’s a legit 2C?  Absolutely.  But the lingering knee issue is handcuffing him from attaining that.

100%. IMO Staal needs to be the third line center already. Aho/Haula/Staal/Wally down the middle is amazing. Haula might have been moved up into that official 2C spot given time. Rod usually makes guys earn their spot if he doesn't know them. But like you said, that knee is hindering him. Shame. 

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

russo show

40 minute mark, he seems pretty sure that Haula is unhappy with his usage and the coach.  Cue his interview where he wants be a top line center.  Big surprise here.

47 minute mark, he says Carolina is looking for a RHD (no big surprise).

Didn't he get a game with Aho on his wing? Wonder if that had anything to do with it. 

Before he went out he was very productive, now that he's back, not so much. So he's complaining about his usage? 

It doesn't really make sense though. Not that he might not want to be a 1C, but that he is one. A good 1C puts up 85 points and 34 goals. An average 1C puts up 27 goals and 70 points, and a low end 1C puts up 23 goals and 60 points. Haula has hit the goals, but not the points. The one year he put in 29 goals he had 26 assists for 55 points. That was his only year doing that. So he's going to bump Aho who has 24 goals and 42 points, at the All Star break? I mean Aho is just a bit behind Haula's best year's totals, with 32 games left to play. It's makes no sense.

Now if he's buying the Hurricanes social media or whomever decides which lines to list in which order? OK. That is nuts. Haula is the 2C. Stone hands is the 3C. No matter what order they write the lines down. 

I guess it does lessen the likelihood that we sign him to an extension. I had really wanted to. I really like the guy, and would love to have him as the 2C until Necas is ready, but looks less likely at this point if that is to be believed.

• Like 2

I will say this though. Guys heading into their UFA year really need to stop complaining and start producing. Given his knee, the near entire year missed last year, and the games missed this year, if he doesn't start putting up points again, he's going to be very disappointed in UFA.

If one projects out his productivity in the 14 games he's been back from missing games, that projects to a full season of 17 goals, 47 points, which is really a high end 3C. And he's pointless in the last 5.

• Like 2

Just my 2 cents on Bean, I've been to at least the last 10 Checkers home games and while I'm sure it wouldn't hurt him to finish the year in the AHL, he looks the part now to me if we need him. Good skater, good passer of the puck and looks to score. I really enjoy watching him in Charlotte but I'm excited to watch him get his chance in Raleigh too!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I will say this though. Guys heading into their UFA year really need to stop complaining and start producing. Given his knee, the near entire year missed last year, and the games missed this year, if he doesn't start putting up points again, he's going to be very disappointed in UFA.

If one projects out his productivity in the 14 games he's been back from missing games, that projects to a full season of 17 goals, 47 points, which is really a high end 3C. And he's pointless in the last 5.

Hate this as I was convinced we had a real find? Guess since I'm bidding on his military warm up jersey, that's the kiss of death, as always seems to work out that way.  If it says anything, I got Darling's military warm up jersey back in the day. Me and The Underdog, haha. 

8 minutes ago, Iron Lion said:

Just my 2 cents on Bean, I've been to at least the last 10 Checkers home games and while I'm sure it wouldn't hurt him to finish the year in the AHL, he looks the part now to me if we need him. Good skater, good passer of the puck and looks to score. I really enjoy watching him in Charlotte but I'm excited to watch him get his chance in Raleigh too!

Thanks Iron Lion. Always appreciate the take about the Checkers from eyeballs that are actually seeing it! Keep it coming!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, remkin said:

I guess it does lessen the likelihood that we sign him to an extension. I had really wanted to. I really like the guy, and would love to have him as the 2C until Necas is ready, but looks less likely at this point if that is to be believed.

I feel the same way.  I like him a lot.  But I still don't see him being moved because I don't think we can get a better #2C at the deadline.  I think he finishes

the season and leaves in the summer.  Like Ferland.  He could be swapped for a right-handed defenseman like Vatanen or Justin Schultz but I don't see

too many good centers available to replace him.

17 hours ago, remkin said:

Coming out of the starting blocks, Haula's fast run to 8 goals seemed to make a genius of DW's trading acumen.  His subsequent "lower body" injury made me wonder whether Haula's career might be over.  With multiple knee operations and subsequent replacement, I know what the pounding to that joint feels like.

Haula is in a contract year, and wants to beef up his numbers to score the best contract he can.  Normal behavior.  The Canes want to take care of his body so that they have him playing in the post season.  While it might not maximize his numbers, I think the Canes approach, to sit him out on a periodic basis, may be in Haula's best interest.  The last thing he wants is to succumb to a season ending knee injury.  That would have him skating on the thinnest of ice surfaces looking for a deal in free agency.  I think if he plays in about 75% of the remaining games plus the playoffs and gets to 20 goals some team is going to offer him a deal.  I'm not sure if that team is the Canes, what with Suzuki, Geekie, and other young prospects coming up needing a spot.

• Like 1

It's not often I take notice of a player at the AHL level, but watching the San Diego Gulls Kiefer Sherwood, a soon to be 25 year old RH shooting RW, buzz around the ice creating havoc, reminded me of his coach, Kevin Dineen, once my favorite Hartford Whaler.

Well since we've got so much time between games, might as well discuss GM type moves. This team has so much going for it, and as the young stars mature it's just going to get better. But every team has some issues. One of those issues is center after this season. Rod is very stingy about who gets to be a center, and clear about what he wants in a center (as evidenced by Stone Hands continuing to be listed as our 1C all the time, and Rod's continuing effusive love for him as a top center). Given this, Haula really should be pretty happy he's even playing center. 

First, was he talking about being held out? Did he want to get back but we kept him out? Or, is he complaining about his role and linemates? It was such a brief mention, but he did say "not getting along with his coach...gotta think he's out of another team". What do we not know about Haula? It he a bit of a malcontent? I hadn't known that about him if true. 

But Brind'Amour at the moment is beyond being a coach. He has the committee's (owner's) ear. He is in a position of great strength for a coach. If Haula is having issue with Brind'Amour? For outcome of said issue: See Jeffery Skinner. See also Michael Ferland.

It really stinks though because when Haula is on, he is what we need. A guy who can handle the center position, go to the net (which guys don't tend to do), and post very high 2C numbers. When Haula is on his game Aho-Haula-Staal is actually very strong down the middle with Haula possibly the strongest by slot. 

But with Haula being a UFA, this revelation of discontent bodes poorly for continuation of this relationship. Generally for a pending UFA to get signed by his team you need three obvious things: 1. The team has to want him. 2. He has to want to be there. 3. They need to find a number.  I'm guessing that all 3 are in question. 1. The team would not want him if he can't get along with a player's coach and nearly GM Brind'Amour. 2. He won't want to be here if he doesn't like how he's being handled, or doesn't like the coach. (Or IF and again I have no idea on this, IF he's a malcontent to begin with). 3. The player will want to be overpaid to skip UFA, especially if there are other issues. The team will never overpay a guy with a questionable knee. 

These things can be worked out, and I'm basing my stuff on about 30 seconds of a podcast out of Minnesota, but if true, the odds of Haula being the answer next year, are, at least at the moment, approaching Ferlandian proportions. IMO.

Part 2:

But as much as I had hoped for Stone Hands to soften those hands, they will not. He will never be a high end 2C. And good teams tend to have high end 2C's. At his best Staal put up average 2C offense, but made up for it with the D and possession and heavy play. If he can get back to that, and if Wallmark continues his progression, then we might be OK down the middle next year with Aho-Staal-Wallmark. But if Staal stays on this year's pace and Wallmark falls back a bit, we'd be offensively weak in both slots. 

IMO Necas is a natural for center. However, Necas was moved to wing in Charlotte, (so didn't get a ton of recent center play there), and has been almost exclusively a winger here and Brindy is very stingy about who gets to play center. But Necas can range the ice like a lesser version of Conner McDavid. Still, most likely not next year. Suzuki has the chops IMO, but no way next year. He will need to show his D chops and come through Charlotte most likely. Apparently Geelkie is starting to get back on track, but next year? Maybe with a huge push in the back end of the schedule and a strong camp.

Anyways, I agree, unless things get down right hostile, I don't see us trading Haula at the deadline. (Though if he got hot and fetched another first rounder? Imagine having 3 first rounders (and two seconds) in this upcoming deep draft. Talk about stocking already deep cupboards). But no, I agree, Haula plays it out here, and baring a sudden improvement in production and some sort of meeting of the minds and a deep playoff run, he's probably a walk away at the end of the year guy.

In the end I think we'll have enough options to figure it out. (Bring up Goat, and push Necas to center, or Kuok or Geekie, etc). If nothing else the committee seems to be able to find guys.

The organization has many paths to choose.

first being this season.  Do we play this season out knowing the playoffs are iffy at this point because TD love’s winning, JW came back to win, and we need the fans to stick around.  Do we know that we have two good playoff rental types in Haula and Edmundson that we probably aren’t keeping anyways?  Do we sell? Do we blend? Sell off the rentals and try to acquire some longer term assets that are proven NHLers? 

Of course we have the paths with defenders.  Fleury? Bean? Priskie? Sellgren? Kaski? TVR? Edmundson? Hamilton? Gardiner?

Forwards: Gauthier? McGinn? Geekie? Kuokkanen? Lorentz? Maenalenan? Wallmark? Nino?

Goalies: if we played in the west we would have the top pair in the league. They stink against the metro.  Ned?

Do we give the younger guys some time to see what they have? Do we give Wallmark the 2C for the rest of the season and say it’s yours if you earn it?  

Brindy factors in too. Do we stay with balanced lines or do we try to make 2 scoring lines?

Another big factor is the expansion draft.

The team is so young that we have more questions than answers. It is a good problem to have unless we make the wrong decisions.

Edited by gocanes0506

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The organization has many paths to choose.

first being this season.  Do we play this season out knowing the playoffs are iffy at this point because TD love’s winning, JW came back to win, and we need the fans to stick around.  Do we know that we have two good playoff rental types in Haula and Edmundson that we probably aren’t keeping anyways?  Do we sell? Do we blend? Sell off the rentals and try to acquire some longer term assets that are proven NHLers? 

Of course we have the paths with defenders.  Fleury? Bean? Priskie? Sellgren? Kaski? TVR? Edmundson? Hamilton? Gardiner?

Forwards: Gauthier? McGinn? Geekie? Kuokkanen? Lorentz? Maenalenan? Wallmark? Nino?

Goalies: if we played in the west we would have the top pair in the league. They stink against the metro.  Ned?

Do we give the younger guys some time to see what they have? Do we give Wallmark the 2C for the rest of the season and say it’s yours if you earn it?  

Brindy factors in too. Do we stay with balanced lines or do we try to make 2 scoring lines?

The team is so young that we have more questions than answers. It is a good problem to have unless we make the wrong decisions.

Talk amongst yourselves. 

I'll give you a topic. Rhode Island is neither a road, nor an Island. Discuss. 

Seriously though, lots to discuss during the break. All of your questions are good ones. I do think we will try to win now barring a collapse in February, for the reasons you list. But that just means we don't likely rent out anyone like Edmumdson or Haula, not that we trade our picks for help.

But that's now and that's my opinion. It does seem that rumors have us searching for D help. I'm not sure I see it yet unless it's to move Gardiner out. We have Slavin, Pesce, and Edmundson is underrated IMO. He's plus 5 and on pace for almost the exact stat line as Gardiner who is -19. Fleury has been very solid. 

I may be missing something, but IMO the only move that makes sense is if Gardiner goes OUT and a guy replaces him that can stick for a while and bring more offense than him. If Gardiner were playing the way he was supposed to, then Slavin,Pesce, Edumdson, Gardiner, Fleury and TVR would be more than good enough. Gardiner is the whole thing. If he stays bad the only move is to replace him. But to bring in another guy without replacing him won't likely be worth the cost. 

Haula thing doesn’t bother me too much for the future because I think Wallmark could be our version of William Karlsson if we gave the opportunity as a 2C. Put him between Dzingel and Svech and let them get after it. Next season put him between Turbo and Gauthier.  Have Necas with Aho and Svech.  Aho can center until Necas is ready.  Will Gauthier be ready? Do we make an upgrade in the top 6? 

we have 4 top 6 players for sure next year: Svech, Aho, Turbo, and Necas

2 streaky but capable top 6 players in Nino and Dzingel

1 that is given the opportunity in a Rod system: Foegele

2 prospects looking for a top 6 spot: Kuokkanen and Gauthier.

Then you have Wallmark and Staal as centering options for the non top 3.  That is 11 with Martinook and McGinn as 4th liners. 

defense is crazy:  we have two for sures.  Slavin and Pesce. After that who knows. 

we have 19 million (plus cap increase) in space for next season.  We have a ton of options and could sell off Gardiner and Nino to have close to 29 million in space. That team would barely reach the floor and still be really good. 

all of it feeds into the decisions to make for this season’s team.

Edited by gocanes0506

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I have ZERO worries with the expansion draft.  We’re going to lose ONE player.  If the committee is hoarding prospects in Charlotte to protect them, then they’re just hosing us in the long run.  Our cupboard is stocked nicely (thanks to Franchise), let em play

40 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I have ZERO worries with the expansion draft.  We’re going to lose ONE player.  If the committee is hoarding prospects in Charlotte to protect them, then they’re just hosing us in the long run.  Our cupboard is stocked nicely (thanks to Franchise), let em play

Charlotte doesn’t protect any of the current Checkers.  It was more about getting long term assets.  

Edited by gocanes0506

What I’m saying is: if the committee is burying our prospects in Charlotte just to eliminate their exposure to the expansion draft, then they’re hosing both the prospects and the Canes in the long run. 

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

What I’m saying is: if the committee is burying our prospects in Charlotte just to eliminate their exposure to the expansion draft, then they’re hosing both the prospects and the Canes in the long run. 

I understand.  My point is there isnt one prospect in Charlotte that would be exempt from the expansion draft.  The only applicable case is a drafted European player who hasnt turned 20 yet because their "professional" clock hasnt started.    

35 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I understand.  My point is there isnt one prospect in Charlotte that would be exempt from the expansion draft.  The only applicable case is a drafted European player who hasnt turned 20 yet because their "professional" clock hasnt started.    

Aaah...got it.  IIRC, the Vegas expansion draft had a stipulation that players with less than a certain amount of NHL games were exempt.  

Has anyone actually heard Haula voice his displeasure. I'm not saying it isn't so but thus far we are relying on a Minn source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Aaah...got it.  IIRC, the Vegas expansion draft had a stipulation that players with less than a certain amount of NHL games were exempt.  

Its games / age / where are they in the ELC.

If they’ve used up 2 years of ELC they are eligible basically. 

the games factor really came in for the requirements to “expose” someone to being plucked in the draft.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, gocanes0506 said:

russo show

40 minute mark, he seems pretty sure that Haula is unhappy with his usage and the coach.  Cue his interview where he wants be a top line center.  Big surprise here.

47 minute mark, he says Carolina is looking for a RHD (no big surprise).

What show number were these comments made?

Unless Civian's talking about the subject in her columns behind the paywall it doesn't seem like she wants to touch the subject with a 10 foot pole. She repeatedly said don't assume the benching was injury related and when someone asked about the validity of the report she replied "Has Russo ever been wrong?" 

I'd imagine airing locker room grievances would be a great way to be punted out of the locker room or lose the trust of the players. I feel like if there was nothing going on she'd be first to deny it. She's pretty big on squashing bologna. 

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I feel like if there was nothing going on she'd be first to deny it. She's pretty big on squashing bologna.

That's a valid point. I guess it is time for me to get out the :popcorn: and watch where this goes