The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

The theme of bringing back old players was a JR thing. We don't have a single player on the roster that moved elsewhere and then came back. If you push the definition to include Mrazek and Williams who went "out there" and came back, but that's not the same as going to another team, playing, and then coming back. I never say never, but TD is a forward looking guy, and once a player is moved on from or moves on from us, I don't see much interest in bringing them back. 

Eric. I was fortunate enough to meet Eric a couple of times. He used to be a customer of one of my pizza restaurants (now gone) up in North Raleigh. He was (and presumably still is) a very approachable guy. He stood and reminisced about the cup year for about 10 minutes with my brother who brought him a pizza. I like Eric. There is talk of Eric and possible HOF one day. But I would never bring him back here. 

It wasn't just the fact that he was Captain of all of those mediocre, malaise teams. It wasn't just that he was captain when Justin Faulk was not playing any defense. It wasn't just that he was part of the leadership that let Skinner just float around. It wasn't just the fact that his numbers fell off every year until we finally moved him. It was also the unholy alliance with his brother leaving far too much "power" in the hands of two players. OK, unholy is way too strong because I think both Staals are quality guys. But even now we have another Staal underperforming offensively with the C sewn on. Having them back together is just too much of a throwback to the days that Brind'Amour has, more than any single person, turned completely around. He is not going to want to go back.

And that's why I know, without fear of contradiction, that it will never ever happen, at least for real (not just for the old retire as a Cane thing). Brind'Amour loves Jordan to a fault, but he is 100% aware of what happened to the team with two Staals on NMC's and huge contracts did to the larger team. He will not allow it again. The exception could be if we traded rentals Haula for Eric and made it clear it was a one year thing. But Eric has another year on his deal after this year. So I'm pretty confident saying this will not happen.

Also, unless we move Haula out, we don't need more forwards. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I always said EStaal had the ability to totally carry a team on his back and lead them to victory. 

He did exactly that during the 09 ECF run, and that is the most frustrating thing.  He has the ability, he just chooses to not use it. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, cc said:

I don’t have to read a thing . I’ve been watching this team a long time. I don’t need to read some one else’s opinion of him. I watched it all.  Simply put we sucked a long time. Scapegoat all you want. If it works to blame someone else. Great. I don’t roll that way.

Not looking to scapegoat at all. Not looking to blame a single player for our teams performance.  Eric's declining performance the last two years with Carolina is on him and him only. Yes the team sucked and he was frustrated but no reason to pack it in personally. I have watched the team since Hartford so our longevity as a fan is common. I just dont give a guy a pass because the overall team sucked, I dont roll that way. Each player needs to pass the eye test.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

He used to be a customer of one of my pizza restaurants (now gone) up in North Raleigh. 

What place in North Raleigh?

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Not looking to scapegoat at all. Not looking to blame a single player for our teams performance.  Eric's declining performance the last two years with Carolina is on him and him only. Yes the team sucked and he was frustrated but no reason to pack it in personally. I have watched the team since Hartford so our longevity as a fan is common. I just dont give a guy a pass because the overall team sucked, I dont roll that way. Each player needs to pass the eye test.

The shortcomings we have been discussing are most frustrating because the guy was the captain.

As for a scape goat, there is plenty of blame to go around.  Think of how one year we had a second line with Nestrasil and Nordstrom. That isn't a NHL quality line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

That isn't a NHL quality line.

That’d be a good top line in the ECHL, though 

29 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Think of how one year we had a second line with Nestrasil and Nordstrom. 

PDG, Gerbe, Boychuck, Terry.......

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

What place in North Raleigh?

Previously known as Z Pizza. Now a chiropractor's office.

Rem I agree with your premise that we are better off if Eric does not come back, but when you say we haven’t got a single player that left and came back, are you forgetting the 9 years Williams was in LA and Washington? My point is I’m not against bringing a player back, but Eric Staal is just not the guy to bring back. In a vacuum, his performance in Minnesota makes him look like a player we could use, but there is history that also follows him. But don’t assume the small universe of people posting on this topic represents all Caniacs. I was waiting outside PNC waiting to get in for a game when his trade to NY was announced and there was no shortage of fans who were angry and upset. Still can’t imagine Rod or DW would go there.

I really would like to see E Staal come back. Come back for one day to retire like Cam did.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Rem I agree with your premise that we are better off if Eric does not come back, but when you say we haven’t got a single player that left and came back, are you forgetting the 9 years Williams was in LA and Washington? My point is I’m not against bringing a player back, but Eric Staal is just not the guy to bring back. In a vacuum, his performance in Minnesota makes him look like a player we could use, but there is history that also follows him. But don’t assume the small universe of people posting on this topic represents all Caniacs. I was waiting outside PNC waiting to get in for a game when his trade to NY was announced and there was no shortage of fans who were angry and upset. Still can’t imagine Rod or DW would go there.

Williams is a good point. Yes, somehow I missed the most important exception to the rule. Williams was a UFA and he was a guy who had been gone a long long time from a different regime, and he had won some cups etc, but we did bring him back. Also, it was very early in the committee's reign I think (or was it PK?). I do think though that he is an exception though and not the likely rule. But really my opinion on bringing guys back is a general notion, not a hard and fast rule. I do think fairly hard and fast on E. Staal though. Also all speculation on the tendencies of the committee have to be couched in the fact that the track record is still pretty short. 

If I was putting on my GM hat, I would talk to Ottawa for DeMelo and JGP.  I would also pay a little extra to talk to them prior to the trade happening to gauge their extension interest and ask. If the interest isn’t there or the ask is ridiculous, I back out.

Move McGinn and Fleury as a part of the package. Conditional picks of 2020 3rd that turns into a 2nd if we make the playoffs, a 2021 2nd if one re-signs with us, a first if both re-signs.  That feels like a lot to me but at the same time that probably isn’t enough.

DeMelo would be a good pairing with Gardiner this season and with Bean next season on third pairing. He hits, doesn’t take a bunch of penalties, and gets assists. I don’t think it would take a ton to re-sign him either.  JGP is the wildcard here. He would be great to have RHS that can take draws. Im afraid his ask may be too high to re-sign because of his strong year. At the same time he could be a great linemate with Staal long term. 

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Williams is a good point. Yes, somehow I missed the most important exception to the rule. Williams was a UFA and he was a guy who had been gone a long long time from a different regime, and he had won some cups etc, but we did bring him back. Also, it was very early in the committee's reign I think (or was it PK?). I do think though that he is an exception though and not the likely rule. But really my opinion on bringing guys back is a general notion, not a hard and fast rule. I do think fairly hard and fast on E. Staal though. Also all speculation on the tendencies of the committee have to be couched in the fact that the track record is still pretty short. 

Update. Williams was signed before TD. But it was under Francis. I said that bringing back old players was a JR thing, and it was, but I should probably extend that to a JR and a PK thing. Under TD I don't think we've done it. But of course, I could be forgetting someone. 

10 hours ago, remkin said:

Update. Williams was signed before TD. But it was under Francis. I said that bringing back old players was a JR thing, and it was, but I should probably extend that to a JR and a PK thing. Under TD I don't think we've done it. But of course, I could be forgetting someone. 

Jeff Daniels.

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Jeff Daniels.

Daniels never left, did he?  I'm thinking before he was named Asst. Coach, he was the Canes' scouting director.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, remkin said:

So from that JR move that worked to many attempts after that which didn't work to now, I simply love where this team has gotten to as an organization. Gone are the days where the only decent picks are the obvious high first rounders. We have scouts and a draft committee that is very good if not excellent. Francis started this, but the committee has quietly kept it going compiling more picks and prospects along the way. While most fans out there don't look too deep into the cupboard (not those on this board of course), those that do will see that not only have we put together a fun, fast, talented, young NHL roster but we've compiled a prospect pool that is mega deep. My latest attempt at ranking the prospects went 17 deep with guys that had a real NHL upside shot, some of whom are killing their leagues even now or had great showings at the WJC. 

It doesn't seem that long ago that our best forward prospects were these three guys with no one below them: Zach Dalpe, Zack Boychuk, and Drayson Bowman. We now have guys at #15 that are better than all of them. BUT we have also compiled 2 first round and 2 second round picks in this year's deep draft. Unless we win the lottery again, or somehow pull off the very rare move up, we will pick guys who will have to incubate for around 4 years or more. It will excite a handful of us, but most will be blissfully unaware of our continued packing of our depth in the system. 

Last thing. As we become a cap team, and especially if we start winning a lot, we will be frequently up against the cap. We will have to start moving some key, named veterans out rather than pay them. This is where we can re-load with our high end, now much more developed (because there was no room to rush them) prospects. This is where all of that depth can allow us to continue to succeed for years. That's the plan, and luckily TD and the committee are sticking with it.

Rem, everyone loves your posts no matter how much sleep you've had :)

You're right, the Hurricanes currently are in a position that probably none of the other NHL teams are in: they can be both buyers and sellers at the deadline
and the draft. They can trade Haula to another contending team at the deadline - which probably precludes them from getting a roster player coming back. 
But, they could trade Gardiner to more of a middle-of-the-road, building/rebuilding kind of team that needs an offensive defenseman at the draft.

Obviously, we want to avoid being a cap-ceiling team as long as possible.  Most of the great moves from last summer were due to having the cap space that
other teams didn't have.  That's how Gardiner and Marleau were added, adding big salaries with Haula and Niederreiter  and dumping Darling to Florida so
they paid him off was stunningly good.
  • Like 2

Canes and Bruins in on SJ's Dillon per Lebrun.

The story points out hes one of the league leaders in hits and has positive possession stats on a bad team. Only 12 points this season though. 

Free agent after this season. 

$3 million cap hit. 

My guess is we try to trade him for Fleury plus?

I suppose its possible we also try to trade him for picks and carry extra D? Looks like the report is SJ wants a second and prospect. 

I think with Dougie's injury we can carry one extra forward and one extra D on the roster. We have the cap space. Id say that may be preferable. Creates the competition Rod wants/preaches (which has been somewhat lacking this year I think) and also gives us lots of depth come playoff time (fingers crossed).

Edited by cane-addict-1

On 1/26/2020 at 5:35 PM, cc said:

What is this based on? I never saw him as being lazy. Maybe I missed that game.

Apparently you missed 'em all.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, realmdrakkar said:

I won't say 'hard pass' necessarily,

Okay, then I will: HARD pass. Eric got his shot--and his millions--here already. Sayonara, and good riddance.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 2:36 PM, cc said:

I don’t have to read a thing . I’ve been watching this team a long time. I don’t need to read some one else’s opinion of him. I watched it all.  Simply put we sucked a long time. Scapegoat all you want. If it works to blame someone else. Great. I don’t roll that way.

Hah! His concrete-handed brother has made more players better than Eric ever did. And how is it "scapegoating" to call out a (supposed) franchise player who never earned half of what he was making stealing? I am sorry that Eric sweater now hangs useless in your closet, cc, but think of it this way: It's doing exactly what cherry-pickin' Eric did at the opposing blue line for most of his Canes' career. When he wasn't in the box late in the game for a cheap stick penalty.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 2:36 PM, super_dave_1 said:

He did exactly that during the 09 ECF run, and that is the most frustrating thing.  He has the ability, he just chooses to not use it. 

This this this. Same thing that was so frustrating about Faulk. It's like playing up to his ability was just too much trouble.

And for anybody who thinks Roddy is going to tolerate that crap again, I've got a flash for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hah! His concrete-handed brother has made more players better than Eric ever did. And how is it "scapegoating" to call out a (supposed) franchise player who never earned half of what he was making stealing? I am sorry that Eric sweater now hangs useless in your closet, cc, but think of it this way: It's doing exactly what cherry-pickin' Eric did at the opposing blue line for most of his Canes' career. When he wasn't in the box late in the game for a cheap stick penalty.

You nailed it top. Eric had several moments that will live in my mind forever (the infamous goal against Brodeur with moments to play), but I also recall the too oft gliding up ice after the rest of the game was at the other end, so I say lets just let the old memories die, celebrate with a 1 day contract and wish him all meantime in Minnesota.