The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

Eric Staal is probably very content playing for Minnesota.   I lived in the Minneapolis area for several years.   What a great place to live and raise a family.   But the big thing in my book he is not very far from where he grew up (approx. 350 miles) to Thunder Bay Ontario.  I have also been there and it don't get much more beautiful than that area of the country.   Point being.....I would be shocked if Eric Staal would even entertain coming back to Raleigh.  He did his thing here.   Good, Bad or Ugly it really does not matter much anymore.   That ship has sailed and please Eric - stay where you are and enjoy the last couple of years of your playing days. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Canes and Bruins in on SJ's Dillon per Lebrun.

The story points out hes one of the league leaders in hits and has positive possession stats on a bad team. Only 12 points this season though. 

Free agent after this season. 

$3 million cap hit. 

Read this earlier and just now getting back to it. Have 2 questions for the group.

!st, when was the last time we discussed a player trade and it came to fruition? I'm sure there are a few, but so many in my mind, once I see the value in them thus get my hopes up, just fall by the wayside.

Next, while ANY trade carries a certain amount of enthusiasm as we fantasize its value and get into the inevitable pros and cons, what would this specific player bring? I know very little about him, but see that he has some size? He obviously offers very little scoring, but does his size add any dimension or is he Jordan-like? Grit perhaps, possession skills, faceoffs stats, special teams expertise? Anyone care to discuss?

26 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Read this earlier and just now getting back to it. Have 2 questions for the group.

!st, when was the last time we discussed a player trade and it came to fruition? I'm sure there are a few, but so many in my mind, once I see the value in them thus get my hopes up, just fall by the wayside.

Next, while ANY trade carries a certain amount of enthusiasm as we fantasize its value and get into the inevitable pros and cons, what would this specific player bring? I know very little about him, but see that he has some size? He obviously offers very little scoring, but does his size add any dimension or is he Jordan-like? Grit perhaps, possession skills, faceoffs stats, special teams expertise? Anyone care to discuss?

Yes most of the discussion on potential trades do not come to fruition but I find it a worth while discussion. It's all about what can the organization do to make the team better? The same thing applies to draft picks or prospects. I admittedly do not follow the West Coast teams as much as I used to so I am not up to date on many of the players. I enjoy hearing feedback from people who are more familiar with West Coast teams to fill in the gaps. I find it valuable to see how a player may fit into our existing team and how their talents would result in a net add.  Again, many of the trades rumored and discussed do not evolve, but it's all fun to envision how we may progress to a higher level of play.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I dont know they guy really but in the article he was referred to as an "old time" Dman. Physical, stay at home guy. 

Thats one thing I think we need. 

Additionally he gives us even more depth, which is good come playoffs. 

Three it gives us more competition. Rod's whole thing was about earning a spot. Saw it last year. I dont feel it as much this year. Another capable guy on D helps create that IMO. JW creates competition among forwards, Dillon among D, and we already have a competition in goal. I realize we have had an extra dman until now but the only guy competing really was Fleury and unfortunately I just dont know if he will ever make it for whatever reason. 

Edited by cane-addict-1

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Dillon for Gardiner? ;)

Not so sure the organization has given up on Gardiner at this point and he has 3 more years left on a MNTC. Dillon's is also a UFA next year. Dillon's appears to be more of a lock down D type player, wher Gardiner's D play has been suspect.  I'm not familiar with Dillon so I can't weigh in much. I have to wonder if Gardiner's past back issues are coming into play but he often seems to be a step behind the play.

• Like 1

Dillon looks like he would be slotted as a second pair Dman with us. That is currently Gardiner's spot. Not sure how that helps replace Hamilton on the right side or his offense. He would make us tougher to play against. Would Gardiner go back to third pair?

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Dillon for Gardiner? ;)

Just wonder on a trade like this, why would a team trade a decent player, albeit one needing a new contract, on a player who we're having and apparently Toronto had, problems? I just can't see this happening although we'd make out like a bandit, get rid of a problem AND pick up a good 3rd line, stay at home defenseman. 

Edited by KJUNKANE

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just wonder on a trade like this, why would a team trade a decent player, albeit one needing a new contract, on a player who we're having and apparently Toronto had, problems? I just can't see this happening although we'd make out like a bandit, get rid of a problem AND pick up a good 3rd line, stay at home defenseman. 

Throw a mid pick or prospect there 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Hah! His concrete-handed brother has made more players better than Eric ever did. And how is it "scapegoating" to call out a (supposed) franchise player who never earned half of what he was making stealing? I am sorry that Eric sweater now hangs useless in your closet, cc, but think of it this way: It's doing exactly what cherry-pickin' Eric did at the opposing blue line for most of his Canes' career. When he wasn't in the box late in the game for a cheap stick penalty.

Stop sugarcoating how you feel about Eric. I’m going to go out on a limb and say we might not have won the Stanley Cup without his 40+ goals and 100 points, so there’s that. But I agree 100% that bringing him back would be a mistake, and can’t see Rod signing off on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Because of the egos in the world of pro sports. Every GM thinks it's a system problem and every coach things he can get the guy to play up to his potential. Gardiner has talent that undeniable, whether or not there is a system and or coach that can get it out of him is the question

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Because of the egos in the world of pro sports. Every GM thinks it's a system problem and every coach things he can get the guy to play up to his potential. Gardiner has talent that undeniable, whether or not there is a system and or coach that can get it out of him is the question

Remember,  we were all down on Dougie last year and during the boston series.  He turned it around.  I think it will just take time for Jake to adjust.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Remember,  we were all down on Dougie last year and during the boston series.  He turned it around.  I think it will just take time for Jake to adjust.

That's why I havent been to hard on him till lately. How long do you give someone? Dougie was pretty good in the 2nd half last year and showed signs from then on out. Jake has had a few good games recently but that's about it

Dougie’s problems were exasperated by a broken hand which took 6-8 weeks.

Gardiner may be hampered by his back which may take until the offseason to fix.  

maybe there are parallels maybe they are different.

36 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Dougie’s problems were exasperated by a broken hand which took 6-8 weeks.

Gardiner may be hampered by his back which may take until the offseason to fix.  

maybe there are parallels maybe they are different.

I feel the same. At this point I wouldn't go shopping him for anything I could get but if a good deal showed up I would thing long and hard about letting him go. This team is right in the cusp of being very very good. Dominate good. And if I think I can get the one extra piece by trading away someone not living up to his potential I would do it

Last 22 games Gardiner is -1. While this does not tell the full story since it is not many games and the team is plus, it is still some indication that he's not giving away as many goals has he was before that. In the 28 games before that he was -18. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Last 22 games Gardiner is -1.

At the risk of opening up the entire +/- can of worms again Gardiner is now skating second pair, a position he is better at and with a much more reliable partner. This allows him to play his game knowing Pesce has his back. He is also now playing more time with scoring lines in front of him. If we are trying to move him ( I don't think we are) another team may be more willing to take a risk knowing his play improved given the correct situation.

I just saw where we might, emphasis on might be interested in the Rangers Tony DeAngelo. This would make more sense to me than Dillon since DeAngelo has 12 goals, 37 points and right shot. He is a plus player but comes with some defensive deficiencies according to  Brett Cyrgalis of the NY Post. He is an RFA at  the end of the season so some risk but not like a UFA. Of course nothing is certain we are even interested.

• Like 2

Gardiner has a lot of upside barring that back injury thing, which as far as we know fully healed a year ago. He was a top 4 guy with Toronto, averaging 4-5 more minutes on ice than he is with the Canes, and racked up assists the last three years. He was trending up but with our log jam, and then Dougie making a huge leap forward, he ended up a bottom pairing guy (16 minutes/game with us, 20-21 with Toronto). I kind of think if you limit a guy like that you get bad results, and those bad results stand out even more because of high expectations for him. I more see us letting Gardiner play more than trading for a new guy, given his past. 

This was proposed as a trade that makes sense on the Athletic:

New Jersey Devils trade Sami Vatanen to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2020 second-round pick. (Devils retain 30 percent of Vatanen’s $4.875 million cap hit.)

I may be in the minority, but I'm just not down with a rental for anything second rounder and above. The only thing is that the Pesce injury scare did get me thinking that if we don't make a move like this, we will be using an AHL call up. I still think that's OK for a bottom pair guy and don't want to stop accumulating the amazing prospects we are developing. But that's just me. Thoughts about this?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I may be in the minority, but I'm just not down with a rental for anything second rounder and above. The only thing is that the Pesce injury scare did get me thinking that if we don't make a move like this, we will be using an AHL call up.

Exactly.  The circumstance dictates a move like this. We may be looking for more of a scorer though

• Like 1