The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

NHL trade deadline talk (Feb. 24, 2020 at 3pm ET)

3 hours ago, remkin said:

This was proposed as a trade that makes sense on the Athletic:

New Jersey Devils trade Sami Vatanen to the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2020 second-round pick. (Devils retain 30 percent of Vatanen’s $4.875 million cap hit.)

I may be in the minority, but I'm just not down with a rental for anything second rounder and above. The only thing is that the Pesce injury scare did get me thinking that if we don't make a move like this, we will be using an AHL call up. I still think that's OK for a bottom pair guy and don't want to stop accumulating the amazing prospects we are developing. But that's just me. Thoughts about this?

Sooner or later, it makes sense for the team to use these injury situations as an opportunity to see what they can expect from their prospects.  They have six defensemen down in Charlotte all having respectable seasons:

Bean     34 pts      -7       3PPG     0SHG      24PIM

Priskie   26 pts      -6       2PPG    1SHG      16PIM

Forsling 19 pts      +14    0PPG     0SHG      26PIM

McKeown18 pts    +4      0PPG    1SHG       40PIM

Kaski       17 pts     -6      3PPG     0SHG      12PIM

Claeson   15 pts    +10    0PPG     0SHG      18PIM

Lots of options between LH/RH, specialty teams, etc.  If Pesce's is a day to day type injury, and they anticipate a Hamilton return before the regular season ends, not sure why they would not turn to one from this group. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, remkin said:

I'm not sure why they'd take Reimer though. Why would Chicago make that deal? I guess if we sweetened the pot maybe. 

With the caveat that my take on goalies' future play is about the same as a magic 8 ball, I'd be down with going after Lehner. I wanted him over Mrazek when it came down to the two. Mrazek has had simply magic games and has been very good for us, but Lehner is a legit #1 goalie IMO. 

This franchise has never really had a top 10 type goalie over more than a season, and Lehner is that so long as he's healthy. 

I'd even pay him $7 million/year so long as the term was no more than 4 years and no full NTC.  

Lehner has now put up .923 -.930 4 of the past 5 years with 3 different teams. He's currently the #9 goalie with a .923 save percentage playing for a pretty mediocre team in Chicago. He's also 24-13-7, vs Crawford's .906, 7-13-2, playing behind the same team. 

It is a sensitive subject but his health issues are a legit concern for a deal with no options out, but this is an elite goalie, he's 28, so really 4 years would be ideal. To me the risk is worth it because you put top goaltending on this team and we're going to be a legit cup contender for those years.

All of that said, I don't see it happening. We had a shot at him as a UFA and passed, and not sure Chicago makes the deal. 

9 minutes ago, Bones said:

We have among the weakest goaltending of teams fighting for a playoff spot.  Almost every night there is a weak goal that would not be allowed by a top 10 goalie.  We need a serious upgrade.  I can't remember the last time Mrazek didn't let up a goal in the first 3 shots against.  Sometimes it's the team but he never seems ready to start the game.  To take the next step we need an upgrade.  Regularly you can hear an announcer state how an opposing goalie stole a game from the Canes.  How often does it happen the other way?  Almost never.  Acquiring #1 goalies isn't easy and costs money, but nobody wins a Cup without top goaltending.

Edited by Bones

It's pretty clear that I've been on the 'get Lehner' bandwagon since it came down to him or Mrazek in the offseason, and nothing has changed my view on that. However, as luck would, of course, have it, Chicago is now effectively about 2 points out of a WC spot in the Weak West, so baring a collapse, which is less likely precisely because they have Lehner, it's hard to see them trading him any time soon. 

Goalie has been the biggest thorn in this franchise's side since I've been a fan. We've never really had that "franchise" goalie, with all due respect to Cam Ward. As fans we'd kind of gotten used to it. But a team that can't fix goal is generally going to have a long fruitless run. Peter Mrazek now has 34 games played and a .900 save percentage. I was going to say "that's just not good enough", but I'm forced to say, "that just sucks" for a supposedly top goalie. 

It would be a bold move, but here's one of Shaya's 10 thoughts on the Checkers:

9. All goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic does is win and collect trophies. Of course he leaves the AHL All Star game with more hardware. When does the kid lose? It’s actually starting to get annoying! He was pivotal for Charlotte on Saturday night shutting down the Marlies.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Sometimes  you gotta know when the hold em', know when to fold em'.

With emphasis on FOLD EM right now regarding Mrazek. Don't think in my "short tenure" as an STH for over 20 years, I've ever seen a goalie overplay out of the goal mouth as much as him. When fans take up for him, and say the D leaves him out to dry on many occasions, I just am curious how a team can adjust to that? Talk about the opposite of Duncan?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

With emphasis on FOLD EM right now regarding Mrazek. Don't think in my "short tenure" as an STH for over 20 years, I've ever seen a goalie overplay out of the goal mouth as much as him. When fans take up for him, and say the D leaves him out to dry on many occasions, I just am curious how a team can adjust to that? Talk about the opposite of Duncan?

I watched a replay on Canes Country of, I think, 4 of the Blues’ goals last night, and Mrazek wasn’t squarely in the crease for any of them. He was down on his side when one goal was scored. It seems he often overplays shots, then gives up rebounds with 2/3 of the goal gaping in front of the other teams. His success last year might say he was avoiding or minimizing bad habits. Does anyone think missing Bales is hurting his performance? I think Mrazek or Reimer (right now it looks like Reimer) could be part of a tandem next year, but I would not want to roll with both again (I think both are under contract for another year). If we slide 7 or 8 points behind WC2 in the next 10 games, I’d sure like to see Ned get a decent look.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

If we slide 7 or 8 points behind WC2 in the next 10 games, I’d sure like to see Ned get a decent look.

And the whole bunch of Checkers defense and offense - Rod might get a better idea who is ready than from just preseason training camp. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

And the whole bunch of Checkers defense and offense - Rod might get a better idea who is ready than from just preseason training camp. 

#Lose4Lafrieniere

;)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Psst...guess who got an assignment to Shreveport this summer?  ;)

Getting closer to Cajun country AWACS. I'm envious. Sure do miss those crawfish boils, as well as crawfish etoufee.

47 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Getting closer to Cajun country AWACS. I'm envious. Sure do miss those crawfish boils, as well as crawfish etoufee.

Funny thing is that I’ll still be 6 from New Orleans...or OKC

By my previous statement I mean be wise as when to Go for it, and trade FOR pieces, stay put and HOLD what you have, or fold em' and SELL pieces. This may be an unpopular opinion here (hey isn't the board for voicing all opinions?), but I think we should be sellers. You just lost your Norris worthy D-man for the rest of the season, and over the past month you've played what I call "measuring stick games", you've lost ALL of them. You actually have pieces that have value, Haula, Dzingle, etc. All the other teams fighting for WC's are playing better than we are. Lot's of reasons here. I say sell, and let the chips fall where they may. It just doesn't feel like the year boys. Hate to say it. Now could we get red hot and make a run? Absolutely, but something has to change somewhere. J-Will's old back can only carry the rest of these guys so far. 

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

You actually have pieces that have value, Haula, Dzingle, etc.

I am all for moving Haula, Dzingel and Nino, but I really doubt they have high value now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Image result for how about no

Can someone open a maintenance repair ticket on CFF’s sarcasm detector?

• Like 2

Well one thing is for sure.  They are going to have to get hot.  Going to need a few 4 or 5 in a rows.  Wins that is.

Otherwise, the maths won't add up.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

#Lose4Lafrieniere

;)

As always, excluding last year’s playoff team, we will play well enough long enough to be near the bottom of the lottery draft order. Unless DW pulls another rabbit out of the hat. So we might as well win.

I do agree with Sleek though that if we could get value for Haula or Nino, it makes more sense to move them and give some Checkers a chance to help us get over the top. TVR too. I just don’t see that we’d get much for any of them. I like Haula’s speed and the game he showed before he went out with his injury, but if he is at odds with Rod, it might be addition by subtraction to let him go. I know he hasn’t had the greatest year, but I still think Dzingel could turn it around next year.

my two cents are Mrazek, Haula, Nino & TVR are all candidates to go. I would say Gardiner due to his +/- but he's got his moments. Our goaltending has been inconsistent as hell, and Petr's performance on Tuesday lost the game for us IMO. James is building a better consistency, but he's not a top-tier contender and never will be. Haula seems like he just disappeared after his injury and Nino costs too damn much for what little he produces. Playoffs looking like a pipe-dream at this point, so make some changes, use call-ups from the Checkers and try to put something better together for next year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

I am all for moving Haula, Dzingel and Nino, but I really doubt they have high value now.

Well, they sure don't have much value if they stay, either.

1 minute ago, caniac6 said:

Well, they sure don't have much value if they stay, either.

Hah, thats for sure. I think Dzingel has potential and I really want to see him do well, but nothing seems to be clicking for him

Our playoff odds are 54.2%. Schedule is tough, and we need to fix some things, but I wouldn't put that in pipe dream territory. I think that this team is capable of tearing off a bunch of wins. Let's start tonight.

Okay DW, the Leafs have officially started the trade deadline movement. It’s time to get cracking. Let’s shore up the D, get a goal scorer, and a good goalie. Easier said than done. But it can be done.