The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

January 16th Canes at BJs!!! 7 PM on FS-CR

Image result for columbus blue jackets

vs 

Image result for carolina hurricanes

Before the season, Columbus was written off.  All Columbus has done has had a strong 2 months and now this game is for the a playoff spot (albeit early).  Columbus is currently 2 points behind the Canes for WC1.  Columbus is tied with Philly for WC2 but has one less win and played one more game.  Columbus is 6-2-2 in the their last 10 and the Canes are 5-5.

Stories of the game:

Canes have struggled against the BJs this season 0-1-1.

Canes top scorers Aho and Svech havent looked good lately.  

Canes lack consistency and need to get going early to keep their playoff spot

Canes need to go all out for this game as it is a divisional game.  The next night's Ducks game at home isnt as important. Let the home crowd energy carry the team. All energy needed game right here.

Reimer or Mrazek?  I am thinking it will be Reimer.  How will he perform after his last shutout?

Is Merzilikins in net for Columbus who has 2 straight shutouts including against Boston?  Or do they give Kivlenieks a shot?  My guess is Merz. 

Traffic in front of the net.  The Canes have struggled when they do not apply consistent traffic in front of the net. If there isnt enough traffic, expect plenty of we ran into a hot goalie talk.  

Stay out of the box!!!

Less Cannon booms than silenced crowd red lighters are necessary to win.

Must have win!!

Edited by gocanes0506

My daughter and her boyfriend will be at the game. I'm originally from Cleveland and they moved up for more opportunities and to be near family. I turned her boyfriend into a Canes fan 2 years ago and he is really looking forward to this. 

Go Canes

• Like 1

Did I mention this is a big game? The next 3 IMO. 

The Canes have been a bit disturbing in goal production lately. Luckily their D and goalie play has been very good. Columbus is a stingy team. they are #5 in goals against. Sort of wish we were playing a looser team defensively, but that's how they're winning. They are obviously hot (as usual). They just beat Vegas and the Bruins. 

We do tend to not bring our best in their building and that needs to stop now. And we need to start beating Metro and East teams if we want to make the playoffs because the schedule is tilted to those teams in the stretch. So start now. 

Do we throw J Williams out there? That could give us some mojo. Thinking with the back to back, 3 in 4 that we might see him in the next 3. 

Looks like some line changes. Nino with Martinook, McGinn. Aho working with Haula, Foegele. Turbo on Staal line with Svechnikov. Wallmark centers Dzingel, Necas. Could all change of course.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

Did I mention this is a big game? The next 3 IMO. 

The Canes have been a bit disturbing in goal production lately. Luckily their D and goalie play has been very good. Columbus is a stingy team. they are #5 in goals against. Sort of wish we were playing a looser team defensively, but that's how they're winning. They are obviously hot (as usual). They just beat Vegas and the Bruins. 

We do tend to not bring our best in their building and that needs to stop now. And we need to start beating Metro and East teams if we want to make the playoffs because the schedule is tilted to those teams in the stretch. So start now. 

Do we throw J Williams out there? That could give us some mojo. Thinking with the back to back, 3 in 4 that we might see him in the next 3. 

May as well try the JW experiment now.  No way it can result in anything worse than what we witnessed Monday night in Washington.  All reports say the guys in the room are excited about his return.  Hell, show us some excitement!  I for one could use it after the last performance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, remkin said:
Per Chip:
More

Looks like some line changes. Nino with Martinook, McGinn. Aho working with Haula, Foegele. Turbo on Staal line with Svechnikov. Wallmark centers Dzingel, Necas. Could all change of course.

Aho is the winger on that line in case anyone's wondering.

14 minutes ago, remkin said:
Per Chip:
More

Aho not centering anymore?  I actually like this.  Svech has a passing linemate.  Put Nino on the 4th line where he belongs (just positioning to have Williams replace him). Giving Wallmark more of a shot is awesome.

Aho-Haula-Foegele

Svech-Staal-Turbo

Zing-Wallmark-Necas

solid top 3

Edited by gocanes0506

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Aho is the winger on that line in case anyone's wondering.

Woof...that’s a hell of a change 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Mcggin on the 4th line i take it .    is it out of the question to want to trade Mcggin for some draft picks ?

I dont think McGinn along e would bring "draft picks" maybe a draft pick. He is a good player when used right but he not anything more then a piece.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I dont think McGinn along e would bring "draft picks" maybe a draft pick. He is a good player when used right but he not anything more then a piece.

I know I'm quoting myself but had limited time earlier.

Also we are definitely buyers this year. Last year we weren't looking to good and were buyers so this year having been in command of a playoff spot most if not all year we arent selling so the only way we trade a starter is to acquire a better starter. We have the roster spots and a little cap room. If we trade a forward it will be to bring in a better forward, if we trade a blue liner it will to bring in a better blue liner. I dont see anyway we would trade McGinn for defense, we cant send any of our current guys down without exposing them to waivers and I doubt any of them would clear 

Don’t see us trading McGinn for a draft pick. Solid fourth liner and strong penalty killer who could move up a line if injuries dictate. At worst, he’s the guy who goes to the press box to make room for Willy. I agree with Derailed that the only trades we would make would be to upgrade a position right now. What Brock would bring back without more pieces involved would be a lottery ticket with little chance of helping us ever, and if ever, 4 or 5 years from now. Our window is just starting to open. Any trades need to be for help now. 

As much as I hate to say it, Torts has done an incredible job with the BJs this year. Among other things, he lost last year’s starting all-world goalie to FA, and his backup to injury. Where would we be playing in front of our 2 AHL goalies? Judging from the names, Columbus only drafts Russian goalies. Here’s hoping ours from last year’s draft is a winner and in Raleigh before too long.

Well the game just got more meaningful cause the *edit* Phlyers won in St Louis tonight and are now TIED with us in points, albeit with one more game played.  If the *edit* BJ’s win, then it’s a 3-way!

GOD I HATE THE METRO!!!

Edited by AWACSooner

We need to string some wins together and try to distance our self from the chasing pack. It's just too close for comfort like this. Every game becomes a must win. Agree with Coastal that things are getting stale. Shake up the lines and give Williams some mins.

• Like 1

I'll say this: If those are our lines, this game will be anything but boring. The question is for better or worse?

Anytime we're splitting up Aho and TT, we're trying to put square pegs in round holes IMO. Maybe it shakes things up, maybe it doesn't--but the bottom line for me is that guys who probably need to sit are not, and while that's good in terms of showing faith in your players, Rod tends to take that too far. Sometimes you've just to tell a guy that watching from the press box will do his game good, and I think both Martinook and Nino are at that point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

We need to string some wins together and try to distance our self from the chasing pack. It's just too close for comfort like this. Every game becomes a must win. Agree with Coastal that things are getting stale. Shake up the lines and give Williams some mins.

Im hoping it starts tonight. We have BJs and Isles with 2.5 weeks of western teams.  We have .800 record against western teams.  Seems like a good time to go on a run.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'll say this: If those are our lines, this game will be anything but boring. The question is for better or worse?

Anytime we're splitting up Aho and TT, we're trying to put square pegs in round holes IMO. Maybe it shakes things up, maybe it doesn't--but the bottom line for me is that guys who probably need to sit are not, and while that's good in terms of showing faith in your players, Rod tends to take that too far. Sometimes you've just to tell a guy that watching from the press box will do his game good, and I think both Martinook and Nino are at that point.

Still not going back to the SAT line which was very productive. I guess RB is searching for balance. 

imo, switching lines is nothing more than scrambling the same ole eggs... This team needs some heart & soul desire to win every night. The talent is there, they just dont bring it every shift. After the 2nd part of last season, I thought the Bipolar Canes were a thing of the past, now not so sure......

An important game. The Hurricanes have been treading water for a while now. Holding serve and staying in the first wildcard position but teams chasing us are getting closer. Teams in front of us are beginning to put some separation between us and them. The Isles are 4 points in front of us and the Pens are seven up on us. Finding our game and surging into a conference spot is still possible but is beginning to slip away.  A chance to make a statement tonight.

7 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Rod is smarter than me.

May or may not be the case...but he could easily kick the 💩 outta all of us in the Thunderdome