The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Ducks @ Canes 1/17 7:30

Yeah Svech is in a funk (physical or mentally fatigue) ?  RB, with the lack of offense...what can be the worst that the SAT line can do? Again GT is not our main issue....scoring goals is! I'm going to try and turn this around on Sunday....bringing 7 of the fam for Military Appreciation Night. Oh and JOBU will be in my pocket. Betting JW will be in the fatigues on Sunday.

Didn't post down the stretch as went to game and was deflated afterwards. Funny how the entire game felt "off" and wonder if Hamilton's injury could be responsible for that? Then too, had some clown with a duck call IN OUR SECTION, but what can you do. Don't know what's more grating, that damn cannon firing or a duck call not being used properly? Reminds me of Miss. ST. cowbells? Maybe we should develop a Hurricane sound to combat?

And 2ndsacker makes a good point above of "conditioning", it was very noticeable last year, but seems not so impressive this year. As relates to Svech, expanding on my thoughts on Dougie"s absence, wouldn't young Svech be the most affected seeing how they appear to have formed the closest bond?

Finally, listening to Forslund on Aftermath, his thoughts on D replacement seemed to me to suggest that contrary to looking to Charlotte for it (i.e. Bean, Priskie or other), the trade for a proven NHL defenseman should be the way to go. I believe his reasoning there, and I'll attempt to paraphrase, is that he doesn't believe that these AHLers we have in waiting are acclimated to the rigors we face in OUR DIVISION down this stretch(think of the last couple of months, particularly March in our schedule). That made sense to me. Contrary to that, a friend who was in Champion's Club last night apparently got to speak to Waddell and said they were "looking to Charlotte" and I asked him Bean, to which he replied "Yes", IDK if Waddell was just blowing smoke, or is scrambling in all directions?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Didn't post down the stretch as went to game and was deflated afterwards. Funny how the entire game felt "off" and wonder if Hamilton's injury could be responsible for that? Then too, had some clown with a duck call IN OUR SECTION, but what can you do. Don't know what's more grating, that damn cannon firing or a duck call not being used properly? Reminds me of Miss. ST. cowbells? Maybe we should develop a Hurricane sound to combat?

And 2ndsacker makes a good point above of "conditioning", it was very noticeable last year, but seems not so impressive this year. As relates to Svech, expanding on my thoughts on Dougie"s absence, wouldn't young Svech be the most affected seeing how they appear to have formed the closest bond?

Finally, listening to Forslund on Aftermath, his thoughts on D replacement seemed to me to suggest that contrary to looking to Charlotte for it (i.e. Bean, Priskie or other), the trade for a proven NHL defenseman should be the way to go. I believe his reasoning there, and I'll attempt to paraphrase, is that he doesn't believe that these AHLers we have in waiting are acclimated to the rigors we face in OUR DIVISION down this stretch(think of the last couple of months, particularly March in our schedule). That made sense to me. Contrary to that, a friend who was in Champion's Club last night apparently got to speak to Waddell and said they were "looking to Charlotte" and I asked him Bean, to which he replied "Yes", IDK if Waddell was just blowing smoke, or is scrambling in all directions?

Trade will take time anyway meanwhile we can call up people from Charlotte

13 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Trade will take time anyway meanwhile we can call up people from Charlotte

I wrote that very same thing Bonivan on another thread, so I agree. UNLESS something is in the works, but still a Checker for a game or 2? Have to say though that Fleury looked very adequate last pm. TvR is just not that impressive?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I wrote that very same thing Bonivan on another thread, so I agree. UNLESS something is in the works, but still a Checker for a game or 2? Have to say though that Fleury looked very adequate last pm. TvR is just not that impressive?

Nothing wrong with Fleury's game, more ice time the better he will get.

• Like 4

Why mince with words...........

Brind'Amour: "I thought they were the much better team. We couldn’t get out of our own way."

Things stink right now but we're still in the mix. Not where we want to be but by no means done.  I have my homer hat on right now, so whatever...  We'll get things turned around.  I think the adversity will serve us well in the long run. Ebbs and flows of a typical NHL season...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Why mince with words...........

Awesome that he recognizes it, but what is he doing about it?  The passengers continue getting seats for the next ride and i still think the desire to spread out the talent is holding a player or two back.  He can point out things that need to change but as the one with the most power to change them, it's accomplishing nothing if he doesn't make the changes.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Awesome that he recognizes it, but what is he doing about it?  The passengers continue getting seats for the next ride and i still think the desire to spread out the talent is holding a player or two back.  He can point out things that need to change but as the one with the most power to change them, it's accomplishing nothing if he doesn't make the changes.

This is why you don't have to cringe over who spends time watching when JW returns.  I think most everyone would get value from watching one game and recharging their collective batteries.  Everyone, from McGinn all the way up to Aho.  Over the next 14 games JW should play about 12, with each of the 12 current forwards sitting 1.  The offense has been anemic, so there's no harm in shaking things up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

the trade for a proven NHL defenseman should be the way to go.

I’m telling y’all...Borowiecki in Ottawa would be a HUGE asset to us if we can pry him loose from Dorian

So, Capologists remind me. There is a bump in the cap at the deadline? Capfriendly says we have $2.8M in current cap space, $1.19M in "projected" cap space, and $5.5M in deadline cap space. Also, how long term does LTIR have to be? Can Dougie go on that?

Further, at this point are we looking at the prorated part of a guy's contract? ie, the remainder of the year? 

Bottom line: can we just add a guy or will we need to move out salary in a trade to make room? Can we add a guy at the deadline that costs a lot more than adding a guy now? If so, we'd need a stop gap until the cap bumps up at the deadline.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Bottom line: can we just add a guy or will we need to move out salary in a trade to make room? Can we add a guy at the deadline that costs a lot more than adding a guy now? If so, we'd need a stop gap until the cap bumps up at the deadline.

I think both options are on the table, as we MIGHT have to pay out performance bonuses to some players...

4 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

Remember how noticeable the conditioning looked all last year. Seemed to always make an impact in games, even losses. I see no evidence that that edge still exists. And Svech has some physical issue that's more than just nagging I think. Mental mistakes have been his youth norm. Now it's a physical struggle to be on his game and I think his face shows it. Guys look tired as a group. 

So we need to suck it up and win 2 games. Then our break comes at a very fortuitous time. But playoff teams find a way to win through adversity (look at Pittsburgh for crying out loud). Other teams have injuries and guys playing through pain as well. Win the battle of wills in these two, and take momentum into the much needed break. A JW sighting in #14 on Sunday might give us a lift. 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:53 AM, remkin said:

So, Capologists remind me. There is a bump in the cap at the deadline? Capfriendly says we have $2.8M in current cap space, $1.19M in "projected" cap space, and $5.5M in deadline cap space. Also, how long term does LTIR have to be? Can Dougie go on that?

Further, at this point are we looking at the prorated part of a guy's contract? ie, the remainder of the year? 

We can add a ~5 million overall cap hit person at the deadline. It isn’t a bump in cap. Cap is captured by the day.  The only time where the overall cap is the same as the daily cap is Oct 1st to the first game and up until the roster changes.

Ex.  Aho’s cap hit is $8454000. By the daily cap calculation his daily hit is $45450 or so for the 186 days of the season.

so, we have 1.2 million in space.  After the deadline we have 44 days or so. We can add someone who has a daily cap hit of just under 30k or the equivalent if a person with a 5.6 million dollar overall cap hit.

side note: if we trade a roster player we wouldn’t necessarily clear their full cap hit from our roster.  We would only trade their remaining cap hit.  ONLY AN EXAMPLE FOR EASE, if we traded Aho today we would only clear 3545400 of his cap hit because he has used 4,908,600 of it (45450 daily cap x 108 days).

as far as the current cap space.  Again with our 1.2 million in space and 78 days left in the season, we can add on someone(s) daily cap hit of 15k or so.  In terms of overall cap hit that would be 2.8 million player.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

Don't get to watch games, but having just viewed the replay on the winning Blue Jacket goal, it is easy to assign most of the blame to Gardiner.  He was positioned too close to the boards with no opponent to even guard and when the puck was passed cleverly to his man he was a step away from breaking it up.  Game, set, match.

7 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

Remember how noticeable the conditioning looked all last year. Seemed to always make an impact in games, even losses. I see no evidence that that edge still exists. And Svech has some physical issue that's more than just nagging I think. Mental mistakes have been his youth norm. Now it's a physical struggle to be on his game and I think his face shows it. Guys look tired as a group. 

Maybe the guys are under additional conditioning (like additional treadmill, bicycle, etc.) and that's why they are not moving/playing fast. Maybe our coaches thought that we can perform kind of acceptable with additional physical load and after players' bodies adjust we will gain advantage of it. Maybe this is kind of preparation to March madness (our March schedule)?

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

We can add a ~5 million overall cap hit person at the deadline. It isn’t a bump in cap. Cap is captured by the day.  They only time where the overall cap is the same as the daily cap is Oct 1st to the first game and up until the roster changes from the start.

Ex.  Aho’s cap hit is $8454000. By the daily cap calculation his daily hit is $45450 or so for the 186 days of the season.

so, we have 1.2 million in space.  After the deadline we have 44 days or so. We can add someone who has a daily cap hit of just under 30k or the equivalent if a person with a 5.6 million dollar overall cap hit.

side note: if we trade a roster player we wouldn’t necessarily clear their full cap hit from our roster.  We would only trade their remaining cap hit.  ONLY AN EXAMPLE FOR EASE, if we traded Aho today we would only clear 3545400 of his cap hit because he has used 4,908,600 of it (45450 daily cap x 108 days).

as far as the current cap space.  Again with our 1.2 million in space and 78 days left in the season, we can add on someone(s) daily cap hit of 15k or so.  In terms of overall cap hit that would be 2.8 million player.

Good explanation.  But that doesn't factor in the cap relief we'd get from putting Dougie on LTIR, correct?  

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Good explanation.  But that doesn't factor in the cap relief we'd get from putting Dougie on LTIR, correct?  

It doesn’t 

It gets really math intensive after that. Ill pull it together.

edit* so here we go.   This gets a little complicated and i hope that this is right and doesn’t further confuse.

Dougie’s cap hit will remain on the books but....

we have LTIR that is 2 parts, LTIR relief pool and Accrued Cap Space Limit (ACSL).

ACSL is our new salary cap before we tap into our relief pool. You subtract the current space you have from the cap ceiling. Our example is we have 1.2 million is space from a ceiling of 81.5 million.  Our new upper limit (ACSL) is 80.3 million. Our salary relief is the LTIR relief pool money which is equal to the salary cap hit of the player.  We can effectively replace 30k in daily salary cap hit for “free.” We do not get to bank any difference of Dougie and his replacement’s cap space.  The only way we add cap in this scenario is if the ACSL is calculated then we send down a two way player.  We would be operating under our ACSL.  Can we add a 2 way player and then calculate the ACSL just to send them back down to gain cap space?  Unsure.  

for understanding: potential performance bonuses are added to the salary when figuring LTIR relief space. 

But.... for us do we really gain anything by putting Dougie on LTIR? We can replace his salary but lose the ability to gain cap space before the deadline.

source: cap friendly 

Edited by gocanes0506

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

Don't get to watch games, but having just viewed the replay on the winning Blue Jacket goal, it is easy to assign most of the blame to Gardiner.  He was positioned too close to the boards with no opponent to even guard and when the puck was passed cleverly to his man he was a step away from breaking it up.  Game, set, match.

Uh no, it's not. It was on all on Svech in the neutral zone for allowing the breakaway, and even having played an outstanding 60 minutes, Reimer couldn't make that save.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, beboplar said:

This is why you don't have to cringe over who spends time watching when JW returns.  I think most everyone would get value from watching one game and recharging their collective batteries.  Everyone, from McGinn all the way up to Aho.  Over the next 14 games JW should play about 12, with each of the 12 current forwards sitting 1.  The offense has been anemic, so there's no harm in shaking things up.

Sebastian Aho will not be sitting out a game, and if you seriously think he should, you haven't been watching him. Neither will TT for the same reason. Nor Foegele, Wallmark, Necas, nor McGinn. This group has been the hardest working to my eye, by a long, long shot, Everybody else deserves to, but letters don't sit, so get used to seeing Jordan and Martinook in the lineup too.

That leaves Nino, DaZee, and Svech.

All of which are fine with me, though Haula is flirting with it, and without their letters, Jordan and Marty would already be on it. 

• Like 1