Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs St. Louis Blues - Tuesday, February 4, 2020 - 8:00 PM EST

Recommended Posts

The best blue line in the league has moved to another city. It is amazing how the loss of Hamilton has changed everything. Once you get past Slavin and Pesce we have been forced to play most our D on their off-side or above their pay grade.

 

Time for a trade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear given the parallel conversation, I'm not calling for Roddy's head. I just want him to use the one he's got once in a while and overrule his assistants. I love his loyalty to his people, but sometimes they're just wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top, I doubt anyone is calling for Rod’s head at this point.  But status quo is no longer viable...nor is the current roster.

 

The blue line is a smoldering mess outside Slavin, Pesce and Fleury right now.  The rotating benching of forwards and BP line blender isn’t producing offensive results.  And the passing/zone clearing had gone to 💩 since November. 
 

This team doesn’t have enough talent to win on talent alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a tendency to overreact to results like we saw last night. Don’t forget that we were playing the defending champs on their home ice. Not to mention the fact that the Blues had lost 4 of their last 5 and were coming off a “Come to Jesus” practice from Berube. So all the necessary elements were present for an a$$ whoopin and that’s exactly what we got...it’s just one game out of 82.

 

I suspect the Canes are in for a similar practice session in Glendale today. Now if we proceed to lose 3 more on this trip then maybe things are worse than we thought and decisions will have to be made....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

This team doesn’t have enough talent to win on talent alone. 

It's 3-2 with a nine-day break in the mix since Dougie's injury, and all those games were against very good teams. These guys can play with any team in the league when they choose to, but too often, enough of them look just disinterested enough to ensure a loss instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on the Facebook group who watched the Blues post-game said that the player who scored the wraparound was told by the coaching staff Mrazek was over playing the puck and to try a wrap around on the next opportunity and it went in. Typically I would want to hear it myself but frankly that makes entirely too much sense and I don't doubt it at all.

 

That's a failure on Petr and Muzzati for not correcting it. Petr from the time I noticed he was doing it to the end of the game slid past his post three times on rushes on his blocker side. Why? It's a short side shot why the hell are you sliding??

 

Edit: Oh hey found the quote. Get to work Muzzatti your student is being beat on basics.

 

“After the first period, the coaches came in and said if you're coming down that side, he's (Mrazek) sliding outside the post so maybe try a wraparound," Sanford said. “I saw that and I tried it. It was nice to tuck in.”

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OBXer said:

The best blue line in the league has moved to another city. It is amazing how the loss of Hamilton has changed everything. Once you get past Slavin and Pesce we have been forced to play most our D on their off-side or above their pay grade.

 

Time for a trade.


If we are playing golf in April I think we are going to look back on Dougie’s untimely injury as the critical moment when everything went south. Normally in a team sport you would say that the loss of one individual shouldn’t matter that much; the Blues have been missing their best player (Tarasenko) all season and are still marching merrily along. But Dougie was so important to all phases of our playing style...his loss is downright brutal...

Edited by RickD_99
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickD_99 said:


If we are playing golf in April I think we are going to look back on Dougie’s untimely injury as the critical moment when everything went south. Normally in a team sport you would say that the loss of one individual shouldn’t matter that much; the Blues have been missing their best player (Tarasenko) all season and are still marching merrily along. But Dougie was so important to all phases of our playing style...his loss is downright brutal...


The missed call and lack of a whistle immediately before Hamilton’s injury still absolutely irks me to no end.  Water under the bridge of course, but still can’t help to think how we’d have several more points today if cruel fate hadn’t dealt us such a hand.

 

It just seems that the guys have since been playing with some added weight on their shoulders.  Hamilton often skated thinking about risk versus reward.  It sometimes backfired, but it payed off immensely when he guessed right.  No one else—other than maybe Aho—appears to want to take risks.  I saw it on our OT attack on Sunday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Some of you folks should probably take a break from hockey for a few weeks.  Hilarious reading through this.  I missed the game.

You mean like the Canes have taken a break from playing hockey most of the last few weeks?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last year we dug an incredible hole through the end of the calendar year, then went on an incredible 3+ month run. This year we started hot, slowly slid down to the wild card spots and now are out of the playoffs. We are tied with Toronto for 9th though they hold the tiebreaker. We are 2 points behind Philly for WC2 (but also have to nudge Toronto out of the way), and 3 points behind the Isles who have 2 games in hand. There are 29 games remaining and a lot of tough ones (Pittsburgh 4 times for starters). Columbus has come out of nowhere and is now Metro 3. And then we just fail to show up on time game after game. Tripp talks about playing with desperation but I only see it lately once we have dug ourselves a hole, often when it is too late. Justin probably won us 2 if not 3 of the games since he came back, but I don’t see that he has changed the attitude of his teammates very much. It is Rod’s job to motivate this team, and sadly, they just don’t look motivated right now. He sat Reimer down after a shutout and two shootout wins. Reimer’s record and numbers say he is our #1, but the coaching staff doesn’t know it apparently. I‘m not calling for Rod’s head by any means, but some personnel changes need to be made this offseason, and also, maybe consider changing out one (or all) of the assistants. I hope we somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat these last 29 games, but the way other teams above us are playing, it’s going to be tough, even if the guys wake up starting Thursday. Last night, after giving up a goal in less than 3 minutes and getting outshot 6-0 to start the game, I lowered my blood pressure by turning the channel to my Blue Devils who played a bad enough team to win while playing a terrible game. There are no NHL teams bad enough to win when you play with effort in spurts, and make the same mistakes over and over. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

It just seems that the guys have since been playing with some added weight on their shoulders.  Hamilton often skated thinking about risk versus reward.  It sometimes backfired, but it payed off immensely when he guessed right.  No one else—other than maybe Aho—appears to want to take risks.  I saw it on our OT attack on Sunday.

 

 

Well i mean i've seen Gardiner take a few, but i haven't seen one where he guessed right yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

So last year we dug an incredible hole through the end of the calendar year, then went on an incredible 3+ month run. This year we started hot, slowly slid down to the wild card spots and now are out of the playoffs. We are tied with Toronto for 9th though they hold the tiebreaker. We are 2 points behind Philly for WC2 (but also have to nudge Toronto out of the way), and 3 points behind the Isles who have 2 games in hand. There are 29 games remaining and a lot of tough ones (Pittsburgh 4 times for starters). Columbus has come out of nowhere and is now Metro 3. And then we just fail to show up on time game after game. Tripp talks about playing with desperation but I only see it lately once we have dug ourselves a hole, often when it is too late. Justin probably won us 2 if not 3 of the games since he came back, but I don’t see that he has changed the attitude of his teammates very much. It is Rod’s job to motivate this team, and sadly, they just don’t look motivated right now. He sat Reimer down after a shutout and two shootout wins. Reimer’s record and numbers say he is our #1, but the coaching staff doesn’t know it apparently. I‘m not calling for Rod’s head by any means, but some personnel changes need to be made this offseason, and also, maybe consider changing out one (or all) of the assistants. I hope we somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat these last 29 games, but the way other teams above us are playing, it’s going to be tough, even if the guys wake up starting Thursday. Last night, after giving up a goal in less than 3 minutes and getting outshot 6-0 to start the game, I lowered my blood pressure by turning the channel to my Blue Devils who played a bad enough team to win while playing a terrible game. There are no NHL teams bad enough to win when you play with effort in spurts, and make the same mistakes over and over. 

Post of the day.

 

+1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It didn't hit me until tonight, but Jamie McGinn left the Chex after 2 games earlier this season because he'd signed a PTO with the Blues, and he wasn't playing Tuesday.  I looked him up, and he was cut by the Blues without playing a single game and is now an UFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...