The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs St. Louis Blues - Tuesday, February 4, 2020 - 8:00 PM EST

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Dammit Necas...don’t score!

Nice shot. We came to life last half a period (or Blues calming down?), but too little too late

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Just think, if we hd competent goaltending tonight, we might have salvaged a point from this 

EnviousSevereGreatdane-size_restricted.gthis goalie ☝

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 1

I’m gonna pass on watching Thursday. And, even though I’ll be in Vegas on Saturday, I’m not gonna go.  Not worth shelling out that much $ for what will probably be a 💩 show from an unmotivated and undisciplined team.

Still going to Dallas, though....cause I can easily switch jerseys if this goes south 

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Gotta love the stupidity of Blues fans...singing to a John Denver song about WEST VIRGINIA

Well, after tonight’s result...

The best part of tonight's game...I was able to finish The Making of a Miracle by Mike Eruzione which came out last week.  Now that was some good hockey.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

The best part of tonight's game...I was able to finish The Making of a Miracle by Mike Eruzione which came out last week.  Now that was some good hockey.

Listening to Al Michaels call the final 30 seconds still brings tears to my eyes, and I wasn’t even alive when it happened 

One of the best comments Mike had in the book, is that whenever he is feeling down he can pop in the game and watch his shot and it goes in every time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Gotta love the stupidity of Blues fans...singing to a John Denver song about WEST VIRGINIA

AWACs, they are just having FUN!  You know, fun.  Maybe our fan base has been denied a bit of that of late and we forgot what it was.

12 hours ago, beboplar said:

The team is getting out-faceoffed 2/1 and out-hit 2/1, albeit against a very good team.

The team lacks some of the physical element it had last season, and from here on forward, that will not bode well as regards wins and losses.  If the Canes can not match good teams' physicality, game over.

Just an article on "our" system. Not agreeing or disagreeing on all points but I agree that we are not built to be a physical team. https://cardiaccane.com/2020/02/04/carolina-hurricanes-flaw-brindamours-system/

I don't think this current roster is strong enough to go deep into the playoffs.   I am not even sure they will make the playoffs.   Goalies at this time of year should have their act together by now.   I don't buy the notion that the play in front of the goalies is so bad that we are hanging them out to dry.   Too many soft goals are happening again.   Same old story.   We should be using Reimer as our #1 goalie until he proves otherwise.  I don't understand why the coach left Mrazek in the whole game.

• Like 2

MISSING:

The Canes that actually gave a *edit* every time out.

It's really that simple. There's not a damned thing wrong with this team that hard work can't cure, they proved that against the 'Nucks, but I get this sense that they feel like it's okay to take a night off after a hard-won game like that one, and in November or even early December, doing it won't hurt you. But wake up and smell the coffee boys. It's February.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Just an article on "our" system. Not agreeing or disagreeing on all points but I agree that we are not built to be a physical team. https://cardiaccane.com/2020/02/04/carolina-hurricanes-flaw-brindamours-system/

Just read the linked article.  Making the jump to dump RBA at this juncture is.....ridiculous.  The Canes are a playoff bubble team.  The difference between them and the team that wins the Cup is probably one or two player moves.  Not saying those players are available, but that is the nature of parity in this league.  This team, featuring additions of Haula, Dzingel, and Necas, features more talent and less physicality than the one the Canes put on the ice 12 months ago with Ferland and Saku.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the signing of Dzingel and the trade for Haula, but I knew they were swapping grit for goal scoring talent, and furthered that approach with the decision to keep Necas over Gauthier.  Necas has indeed brought talent to the team, but the overall equation does not look like it will work against playoff caliber squads.  Necas is a keeper, but Haula is in a contract year and Dzingel is on a 2 year deal.  The latter has been a bit of a disappointment, so if they were to move Dzingel for some muscle, especially a RH shooter, that would be a move in the right direction.  Or, move him for a Dman and promote Gauthier.  The team needs some moxie to go with the talent.  Not RBA's fault.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I don't think this current roster is strong enough to go deep into the playoffs.   I am not even sure they will make the playoffs.   Goalies at this time of year should have their act together by now.   I don't buy the notion that the play in front of the goalies is so bad that we are hanging them out to dry.   Too many soft goals are happening again.   Same old story.   We should be using Reimer as our #1 goalie until he proves otherwise.  I don't understand why the coach left Mrazek in the whole game.

I don't agree with much else above, but by all means, Rod should have pulled Mraz after the third goal last night. Even though he was battling and made a great initial save on that--and the D absolutely was responsible for that goal, when your keeper makes a desperation save you have to bail him out by clearing both traffic and the rebound (and three guys were there but couldn't manage to do that)--you take him out to wake up the skaters and preserve his confidence. Really poor coaching decision. When it got to 4-1, I went back to binging "Fargo." If you allow the goal difference get to 3 in the barn of the defending champs, you're going to lose the hockey game.  

• Like 2