The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Canes @ Yotes 2/6 @ 9pm

Condolences KJUN, that's never an easy thing.  I have had hunting retrievers all of my life, and the bond that forms with you and your hunting partner just doesn't last long enough.  I feel your pain.  But, in time it will turn into fond memories more than sadness.

Aho and Svech were amazing together.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Rod said they weren’t overly great in the past together and he doesn’t like putting all his eggs in one basket (although he said ducks in a corner i think).  If other guys would step up to create secondary scoring, he would be okay keeping them together.

I really don't care what he said, I care what actually happens on the ice, and what has actually happened when these guys are together is that pucks tickle the twine. That whole secondary scoring thing is straight outta the Peters playbook, and Roddy needs to get over it. When one line shows that it can catch fire, you leave it together--and you leave it together even after it cools off, because if you don't, they never learn how to work through the tough times that all lines go through, based on their particular strengths. Plus, keeping them together when they cool off forces other lines to pick up the slack.

Some have complained that Rod's job is to motivate the players and he hasn't done it, but I've always maintained that the door to motivation is locked from the inside. All a coach can do is create the conditions that help individuals unlock that door. We have enough of a sample now to know that these three belong together. Hopefully Roddy is smart enough to let them settle in and work through the inevitable slack times, and to push the other nine forwards to contribute. That's how you get secondary scoring--not by keeping a line made in heaven busted up. 

How many years have we all been saying that we need a big winger who can impose his will to play with our smaller skill guys? Well, we've finally got him... and we're going to keep the three apart in the pursuit of "secondary scoring"-- even when we're not getting primary scoring? I sure hope not.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

In addition to the points Top made above another argument in favor of keeping the SAT together is to reverse the recent trend of giving up the first goal or two and constantly chasing the game. If SAT continues to give us one or two goal leads in games then that allows our other players like Niño and Jordan who are struggling offensively to concentrate solely on their shutdown duties. Of course if we could start getting better secondary scoring from a Foegele-Haula-Dzingel line that would be welcome as well...

• Like 1